Thoughts on SanDisk Ultra?

jshay

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your thoughts on the SanDisk SD cards?

I ordered the SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 64GB today and it seems to be very close specifications to the Transcend card that was included.

Does anybody have experience with these? I was also thinking of ordering the Extreme version but that seemed a bit overkill.

Thanks!

Oh okay. What cards are recommended in 64gb?

I'll go ahead and cancel my order.

in no particular order, Transcend, PNY, Kingston, Lexar, pretty much any major brand except Sandisk is ok

don't get me wrong, Sandisk make great cards, just not suitable for the camera

Awesome thank you for the recommendation. I'll be on the lookout for deals on those brands.

Love the dash cam by the way.

in no particular order, Transcend, PNY, Kingston, Lexar, pretty much any major brand except Sandisk is ok

don't get me wrong, Sandisk make great cards, just not suitable for the camera

Could you provide the background info on why Sandisk cards aren't good for dashcams?

Could you provide the background info on why Sandisk cards aren't good for dashcams?

the controller chipset they use is different and a lot of cameras have issues with it, that goes back to the SDK level so not something that can be really worked around, the second part of the issue is that if a Sandisk card fails it will set the card to write protect rendering it useless, given the controller chipset isn't fully supported the chance of a glitch rendering a card inoperable are higher, easiest workaround is don't use Sandisk

What are your thoughts on the SanDisk SD cards?
absolute and utter garbage, just keep the receipt as it will be going back for warranty claim in not too distant future if your using it for dash cam.

the controller chipset they use is different and a lot of cameras have issues with it, that goes back to the SDK level so not something that can be really worked around, the second part of the issue is that if a Sandisk card fails it will set the card to write protect rendering it useless, given the controller chipset isn't fully supported the chance of a glitch rendering a card inoperable are higher, easiest workaround is don't use Sandisk

Hmm, that is interesting to know. Unfortunately I stocked up on some Sandisk microSDHC cards that I thought I'll use for dashcams as I wasn't aware of these issues. I do have a few Transcend microSDHC cards that I guess will be the primary cards I use now. Even some dashcam resellers aren't aware of the Sandisk card issues. My A118C reseller mentioned the following to me: "We highly recommend you had better to use some brand SD card,such as Sandisk,Transcend,Kingston,C4-C6,4gb-16gb."

I've owned three SanDisk Ultra cards for several years now that I purchased before I was aware of these reported issues with them. All three have been in regular use in a variety of cameras with no problems until one of them suddenly stopped functioning at all and couldn't even be mounted on my computer for a scan or possible repair. The other two continue to function normally.......for now.

longest I think I have had a sandisk last was a few months in a dash cam, all were new cards, all were sent back for warranty and sold the replacements, even a replacement only lasted me 3 weeks before dieing.

longest I think I have had a sandisk last was a few months in a dash cam, all were new cards, all were sent back for warranty and sold the replacements, even a replacement only lasted me 3 weeks before dieing.

To their credit mine have hundreds of hours on them in extreme hot and cold temperatures. It's even possible the one that croaked died of old age.

I've used lots of them on Ambarella A2 cameras, they were fine with them, I have one customer that still has one going and as at the last update he gave me he had driven 400,000 kms with it, pretty good effort really

Maybe SanDisk "white edition", - its advertised as "for dashcameras" ?

2921ebb9fbfdb8b8172766f2a4426e89.jpg

I've got to admit I have a Sandisk 64GB card that's been in loads of cameras since last April and it's still going so far.

I can't remember who it was who's bought one of the Sandisk White Endurance cards - maybe @Gibson99 or @CheckYourLights?

FYI, for USA buyers the absolute best deal on a certified authentic, high quality MicroSD card at the moment is the Transcend 32 GB Class 10 45MB/s available from Amazon for $12.99 or the 64 GB version for $24.99....
I've been using the 64GB version in one of my GC's for a couple months now with no issues at all. Also using a PNY 64GB Ultra in the other GC, again with no issues.

The PNY cards seem quite good, I've been testing a 128gb card for a while now and it has been doing well so far

Back