DR400G-HD II -- memory cleanup required?

Chode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this mentioned on a Russian forum - something about internal memory getting all clogged up with log files after three years or something to that effect.

Sounds a bit strange, as surely there must be some kind of self maintenance by the OS? Or is it just wishful thinking?

Now, my 400-II has been working perfectly fine for over 3 years, running custom firmware with increased bitrate (15Mbps).

I asked on the Russian forum, if this is something I should be concerned about, and if so, how to go about this clean-up? The last thing I want is to mess up a perfectly good dashcam. Unfortunately, my question didn't get any answers ("lost in translation" and all that :rolleyes: ) ... Anyone?

H-mm ... maybe the reason I didn't get any answers, is not the dodgy translation after all ...

Either nobody keeps their dashcams running for so long o_O or this was all just a load of old codswallop (on the Russian forum I mean)?

to clear memory requires connection Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter, UART)

to clear memory requires connection Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter, UART)

Thanks, appreciate the answer!

Do I actually need to do it, if the cam is working fine?
Is there any merit to the claim that memory gets clogged up?

if it's working fine leave it alone, normally on this model it's normally the sensor that fogs up that needs a clean is the only maintenance you might ever need, not all are affected though so you might not even need that

Great, thanks. It's fine so far, can't see any fogging as yet, and am aware of this issue, so do check regularly...
How might the memory problem manifest itself, if we get to that point?

Excellent! I shall keep this one going then, if only to see how long it will last ;)

if it's working fine leave it alone, normally on this model it's normally the sensor that fogs up that needs a clean is the only maintenance you might ever need, not all are affected though so you might not even need that
My DR400G HD-II just fogged up recently after 6 Years of service. (Lol, I cant believe its going on for 6 yrs now!!)

I just opened it up for the first time to clean up the lens and took a few pictures.

Can you tell if what I'm seeing adjacent to the lens, is a super cap or a swollen battery?

0224c488031834db58c8a1f7aac4c2b3.jpg

626a0de37f4ac7074f9c7707db40f8b4.jpg

94974ae08e8e2bd810c391ae19abfac6.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

me either, they were only released 4 years ago ;)

that is a very swollen battery so you'd want to replace that while you have it apart
Oops! Sorry for the mess up with the dates[emoji54]

I just looked up an article on battery replacement. Will order a replacement via ebay.
Thanks for your help[emoji4]

Btw I also have DR550GW-2CH and DR650GW-2CH(pre cloud) but, DR400G HD2 still beats them both in image and video quality[emoji106]

me either, they were only released 4 years ago ;)

that is a very swollen battery so you'd want to replace that while you have it apart
Replacement battery was a bit bigger.
The case was able to close with quite a lot of manipulation.

But I made sure that wires were safe.

Lens cleaning made the picture perfect again[emoji4]
Some pictures of battery comparison

a8593dbb807cef2ee0cb1553615cbf59.jpg

6209b3a41587cfdc933e865249b9d5c7.jpg

Cant find the exact same battery as before[emoji20]

Just an update - my dashcam is still going strong, haven't replaced neither one of the batteries (got a couple of spares ready), and didn't need to clean the sensor yet ... :cool:

BlackVue Viewer 1.002 for Mac, on the other hand, is no longer displaying Google maps ...

Back