Battery dying

thejm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, I have a Blackvue 650 camera along with a PMP. I have the PMP set to 11.8 volts and 36 hours. The issue I'm having is my battery keeps dying. It seems like the longer I let the car sit rout out cranking it up the weaker the battery gets. So if I let it sit for 12 hours, the battery will still start but be strained. If I let it sit for 24 hours, it will barely start. And so on. There's no magic to it other than the battery dies over time.

I've had my battery tested at 2 different shops along with my alternator, starter, etc. all passed with flying colors.

So I'm wondering if the PMP has anything to do with it and if anyone else has had a similar experience.

My car is a 2011 Infiniti G37.

Thank you in advance.

When your starter motor turns to start your car, the voltage must be dropping dangerously low, and you will be shortening the life of your battery quite dramatically. I would suggest keeping the voltage set above 12.4 v. Resting rate for most healthy batteries is about 12.5, 12.6v.

I have mounted my PMP switch so it is easily accessible to turn on and off, and usually it is off as I don't need parking mode at home and work. Maybe switch it off when not needed?

Also, I intend to get a jump pack (those booster battery's) with a cig lighter on it, so when I go on hold for a week I can plug it into that rather than my car battery. I wouldn't want my car not to start returning from my winter holiday.

I have mounted my PMP switch so it is easily accessible to turn on and off, and usually it is off as I don't need parking mode at home and work. Maybe switch it off when not needed?

Also, I intend to get a jump pack (those booster battery's) with a cig lighter on it, so when I go on hold for a week I can plug it into that rather than my car battery. I wouldn't want my car not to start returning from my winter holiday.
If your battery is original.. it is approaching the end of its useful life. Come winter when a battery typically looses "some" efficiency perhaps time to be proactive and consider replacing it.

My point being is I would need to set the PMP to infinite to get two weeks of recording on parking mode. Obviously I would park the car so it gets few few views.

New BMWs gives warnings if it gets a battery drain of any kind.

My point being is I would need to set the PMP to infinite to get two weeks of recording on parking mode. Obviously I would park the car so it gets few few views.

New BMWs gives warnings if it gets a battery drain of any kind.
What would be the point of having two weeks worth of parking mode recordings. Given that the BlackVue sensitivity on movement is ridiculous.. You would be overwriting your data probably within days with one minute clips of leaves blowing in the wind.

Yes you will overwrite useless footage, however you will not overwrite any impact or g sensor footage.

I purchased my PMP in the UK and the only cut-off options for a 12V system on my PMP, are 11.8V and 12V. I would be very wary about setting it at 11.8V. My PMP is set at 12V and 6 hours (all the pins at the top (plus movement sensitivity set at min)) for the past 18 month, and the battery is 2 years old. Fortunately, we don't have the extreme weather conditions as Australia and Canada.

Well after a couple of weeks of use, gone out to the car today after leaving for 2 days and the battery is flat, as suspected 12v is far too low, the cut off needs to be about 12.3-4?

Got to say my experience so far with Blackvue is poor, the DR650GW cannot even show number plates due to ridiculously low bit rate, the "battery monitor" is calibrated completely wrong, do Pittasoft have any technical knowledge at all?

Starting to wish I had just bought an A118c like my sons, better quality, and a 1/5 of the price.

I have a PMP and the only options for a 12 volt system are 11.8 & 12. How can you set it for 12.4 volts if this isn't an option?
I was wondering the same thing, would like to have mine set at 12.4 but it seems that 11.6 & 11.8 are the only options for a 12v system with PMP

How can you set this for 12.4? My only options are 11.8 & 12.

Even if you were able to set it at 12.4, if your battery is weak after 2 days parked it may still need a jump start. Really need to factor in parasitic drains on your car battery, especially in Winter as another poster had mentioned.
PMP works well enough for a lot of brand new cars but if you've got an old battery or you're regularly parking it for a couple days you should at least look into the battery pack route
PMP and these hardwire kits that work in the same way (voltage cutoff) will cause more long term wear and tear on your battery

One of our staff drove a 97 Civic and the camera would only run for 15 minutes at 12.2V cutoff (not using PMP) but these traditional hardwire kits weren't really a viable solution for him

If I set 12,4V cutoff voltage and I have 1 year old battery in Renault Fluence 1.6 16v (starting with button without key), how long 1 channel dashcam will record approx?

How vague is your "approx"?.. give or take several days? There is no definitive or even close, answer to your question as there are so many many variables.. How much parasitic load does your Renault Fluence 1.6 have / use?? things like your security alarm.. proximity sensors to see if your keys are nearby.. leakage from bad electrical connections.. load on relays. Temperature also has a considerable effect on a battery as does humidity.
If.. you want a close estimate of your situation.. Set up a test situation. Have a battery charger available to recharge your battery. Set up your camera to record a clock on a wall.. run till the camera stops.. observe the clock and do the calculation. Recharge battery.. and post results. :)
I guarantee if you do the same test a week later the results will be totally different..

Last edited:
Approx x hours, day, 2 days, 3 days etc. I would like to know that, because now I use Xiaomi 20000 mah and it powers my dashcam for approx 35 hours. Its important for me, if with powerbox, powerplus etc will do it longer or not. I have to remove time to time powerback to charge it in home fast, so its additional disadvantage.

I've been having problems with my Power Magic Pro for some time now. Only had the battery die completely twice but I'm often getting battery low messages on the screen and the start/stop feature of my Jaguar XF hasn't worked for about 9 months now. The car has just returned from the dealer and I asked them to check the battery which they confirm is OK and they also gave it an overnight charge. I had tried this before but no joy.

The PMP I have has 5 switches, 2 for voltage and 3 for timing. I have the two for voltage set to 12v and the 3 for the time initially set to infinity but I have just changed this to 6 hours. If this doesn't help I'm not sure what to check next.

I've been having problems with my Power Magic Pro for some time now. Only had the battery die completely twice but I'm often getting battery low messages on the screen and the start/stop feature of my Jaguar XF hasn't worked for about 9 months now. The car has just returned from the dealer and I asked them to check the battery which they confirm is OK and they also gave it an overnight charge. I had tried this before but no joy.

The PMP I have has 5 switches, 2 for voltage and 3 for timing. I have the two for voltage set to 12v and the 3 for the time initially set to infinity but I have just changed this to 6 hours. If this doesn't help I'm not sure what to check next.

Bit of a thread revival here but perhaps relevant or helpful for someone else. I'm wondering how this dashcam has been wired up because if it's a face lift Jaguar XF (X250 2011+ or 2012 Sportbrake) then the fuse box was changed and apparently there are no switched fuses in the cabin or boot, only in the engine bay one. So the PMP will not have been able to switch over to its battery only function and operate to voltage/timer cutoffs.

So the PMP will not have been able to switch over to its battery only function and operate to voltage/timer cutoffs.
The PMP does not have a battery. It just does what you say in the second part of your sentence.

The PMP does not have a battery. It just does what you say in the second part of your sentence.

lol, I know I've hardwired lots of dashcams with various battery protects. I probably didn't word things very well but when I say battery only function I'm talking about what the PMP is identifying with the car, as in ignition only detection or battery only detection.

Last edited:
Back