Noob here. I want a dash cam...

jokerone

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my concerns is getting power to the thing without having a cord dangling in front of me our getting all hung up in the passenger's feet.

I believe I've seen a few models you charge up. Don't know if that is practical or not?

I also don't want something I physically have to turn on or off. I would rather have it start when the engine is on.

$100 is my target price.

Any suggestions?

thanks.

Anything, just tuck the wires around the dash and around the headliner for clean install.

In perspective- even phones (at major cost), if in recording mode(way lower resolution) will not last a day...
Got to be wired ;)

It's not that big of a deal. What kind of car are you driving? A few minutes work will make any installation 'neater'.
If you're not driving for periods of more than an hour, an action cam will work, but you'll have to turn it on/off, and they bigger, more recognizable, and maybe a theft magnet.

One of my concerns is getting power to the thing without having a cord dangling in front of me our getting all hung up in the passenger's feet.

I believe I've seen a few models you charge up. Don't know if that is practical or not?

I also don't want something I physically have to turn on or off. I would rather have it start when the engine is on.

$100 is my target price.

Any suggestions?

thanks.
Welcome to the forum jokerone. You might want to look at a Mobius. Discrete, versatile and meets your wish list. Very reliable and well supported. I purchased mine from http://www.buymobius.com, but there are several other recommended vendors as well. Good luck in your search.

cool. thanks.

any model recommendations?

I've watched a few hours of Russian dash cam videos. some look ok, some look great. wish there was a way to tell the make/model of the dash cam.

thanks.

cool. thanks.

any model recommendations?

I've watched a few hours of Russian dash cam videos. some look ok, some look great. wish there was a way to tell the make/model of the dash cam.

thanks.
I have both the Mobius A lens, and the C2 lens. Both are great cameras. I personally like the C2 better, I feel like it gives a clearer and wider picture. But now you are into personal preferences. Lot of reading, but a very informative thread. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...help-requests-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/

Very cool. thanks. I'll check it out. I like the idea of a rear view cam as well.

I 2nd the Mobius suggestion. It's a great little cam and right in your price range. What kind of car are you installing one in?

thanks. A 2008 Kia Spectra.
only problem. I have a window tag that has to be displayed for parking. (just like a handicapped one).

I installed one in a Kia Forte - finding the add a line fuse was no issue and neither was hiding the wires. The camera can install directly on the windshield and it tucks up nicely so it won't block the parking tags view.

If you're willing to expand your budget a bit more, there's the MateGo MG380G for about $120. It's pretty noticeable, but I think it has better video than the mobius and it has GPS, which can be useful.

I installed one in a Kia Forte - finding the add a line fuse was no issue and neither was hiding the wires. The camera can install directly on the windshield and it tucks up nicely so it won't block the parking tags view.
ok thanks!

If you're willing to expand your budget a bit more, there's the MateGo MG380G for about $120. It's pretty noticeable, but I think it has better video than the mobius and it has GPS, which can be useful.
the ones that get me are the youtube crash videos out of Russia. I've driven there, or should I say been a passenger there and Ukraine. Scary.. :eek:

yep, been to Russia, roads are chaotic

This was in 1992/1993. I told my then girl friend now wife to tell the cab driver that I would tip him only if he slowed down.. :D

I was there for 5 days about 7 years ago, saw plenty of crazy driving and came across a couple of big accident scenes

I was there for 5 days about 7 years ago, saw plenty of crazy driving and came across a couple of big accident scenes
I had just spent a year in Germany where all the drivers follow the rules to the letter. then I go to the former USSR where some have no idea how to drive, some are very drunk and have no idea how to drive sober or drunk, and the rest are mafioso types who believe they can bully everyone on the road the way they do when out of the car. Its a mess.

Back