Odd K1s Issues

rsmck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius, Transcend DP200, K1S
I've been trying out the K1s alongside my DrivePro 200 before installing it in another car.

Overall I'm impressed but today I had a few small issues that are a bit of a showstopper because you expect a dashcam to be a 'set and forget' device, andI worry that the K1S may fail to capture something when I really need it most.

Firstly, having been unused for a few days, it didn't boot at all when the car powered up. A small white LED was visible next to the power in cable but it did't boot (and pressing the power button didn't help) - after much faffing with the power button (and others to see if anything would response) I tried removing the battery and disconnecting it, then replacing the battery and power cable - it booted and appeared to be working normally.

At the end of a 12 minute drive I found that only the last three minutes had been recorded on the SD card, the file numbers ended 10,11,12 which is what I'd expect, indicating that clips 1-9 were obviously 'lost' somehow, which is rather concerning.

Until today it's seemed really reliable, but i'm a little concerned now - my DrivePro 200 has been flawless since the day I installed it (and mine's a bit butchered!)

not sure on the not booting part

what memory card are you using, this model is a bit fussy with cards

are you on the most recent firmware?

Not booting - confused me too!

Memory card is a Transcend 32Gb Class 10, been rock solid until now too

And yes, most recent firmware

Until today it's seemed really reliable...

I don't know what it is about DashCams that make people who've owned one for 5 minutes feel able to commend it's reliability. On 2nd September you posted that you're "tempted by the Koonlung K1S". Since then you decided to buy it, so you've actually owned it for just a few weeks?

I hope you bought it from a UK seller with a good aftersales reputation. It may work more reliably with a different memory card ... ask the seller to recommend a brand.

I don't know what it is about DashCams that make people who've owned one for 5 minutes feel able to commend it's reliability. On 2nd September you posted that you're "tempted by the Koonlung K1S". Since then you decided to buy it, so you've actually owned it for just a few weeks?

Hence, until today, sorry if there was ambiguity there - but I've seen things fail in a shorter time. In those 3 weeks (considerably longer than 5 minutes) the car has covered 2,300 miles of various sorts of driving. Whilst it may not have seen the stop-start cycles of more typical use, in terms of 'operating hours' it's probably passed what some will do in 3-4 months.

Anyway I don't know what it is about forums that make people who've got no understanding of another individuals personal circumstances feel the need to criticise a comment or admonish another user whilst providing no useful information.

I hope you bought it from a UK seller with a good aftersales reputation. It may work more reliably with a different memory card ... ask the seller to recommend a brand.

Of course I did... thanks @JooVuu :D

Your Post from Tuesday gives the impression you've been using it for only the past couple of days...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/transcend-drivepro-200-vs-k1s.14277/

Not my intention, it's still installed alongside the DP200 for evaluation, hasn't moved to the other car yet (where, ironically, it will get much less use)

Just checked the JooVuu site. £204 for a non-capacitor dashcam that doesn't even include buffered parking mode?

I have no use for parking mode (i have other priorities), and the price has increased slightly.

BTW, I prefer the video from your Transcend DrivePro 200.

So do I thus far.

based on current technology most dual cam models can't compete with single cam models for image quality, things will improve no doubt but it takes time

based on current technology most dual cam models can't compete with single cam models for image quality, things will improve no doubt but it takes time

I'd settle for two single cams if they had the remote recording unit / camera sensor... that's the main attraction, a neat little box that can be hidden away and a small camera unit that's unobtrusive, particularly when installing one in the other car which is a Seat - due to the odd nature of the windscreen wipers the camera has to end up in the drivers field of view :(

Back