MG380G power problem

uscpsycho

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got a MG380G which had a weird power problem.

If I'm plugged into a USB battery I can turn the camera on and back off. But then I can't turn the camera back on again unless I unplug the USB battery first. Then when I plug the battery back in I can turn it off.

Weird thing is that it's not sufficient to just unplug the battery from the USB cable and then back in. That won't correct the issue. I actually have to pull the cable from the USB port of the camera before I can turn it back on.

Is this normal or did I get a lemon?

This problem does not exist with the 12v cigarette adapter cable. Turns off and on just fine when power is supplied by that.

Last edited:
It's normal - the USB was originally a service port on these and isn't really designed for USB power banks but for connecting to a PC. Not sure if the latest firmwares let you access the memory card when it's connected to a PC - you could also put them into webcam mode if the right button combination is pressed as it's connected to a PC.

Thanks. So strange that this is normal behavior, and annoying. Perhaps the cam wasn't designed to be powered this way but the manual explicitly states that you can power it through the USB port so you really should be able to turn the thing on and off at will, without having to disconnect a cable between power cycles. It's annoying enough to make me want to return it.

According to page 16 of the manual I have it says that when connected to a PC via USB cable that it will work as a mass storage device so you can access files. I haven't tried it myself but it should work.

Where do I find the latest firmware and how do I upgrade? I don't see anything in the manual or menus for updating the firmware. However, I do see a screen in the menu that displays the current firmware version. Maybe the latest firmware will fix this stupid power issue...

The Matego firmware updates are on their website at http://www.matego.com - not sure if there are any newer than what you have but it might be worth a go - don't even think about updating the firmware with USB power connected though as it will brick the camera.

Thanks guys. For the benefit of anyone seeing this thread in the future, the English version of the Matego website is at http://www.matego.com/en/

I downloaded the firmware but still don't see how to update, there are no instructions (at least not in English). Do I just put the file in root of the SD card, stick the card in and then power the camera on? I have other devices that update that way because there's no interface for updating the firmware.

I am trying to update the firmware on my MG 380G but for whatever reason it will not update. I downloaded V 1.01.04, put the .ELF on the SD then follow the video above but it just starts auto recording when I power up the second time. Any advice is welcome!

Silly question but is it definitely a MateGo as there are other Chinese variants that you would need firmware for that specific model from your vendor - where did you buy it from and what does the camera show on the about screen?

I purchased off of amazon. If I go to the about screen it says "csg380g v 1.01.01" it also has the date listed but I dont have it right in front of me and cant remember the date it listed.

I purchased off of amazon. If I go to the about screen it says "csg380g v 1.01.01" it also has the date listed but I dont have it right in front of me and cant remember the date it listed.

380.jpg

Last edited:
OK that's not actually a MateGo but one of the unbranded Chinese variants - the seller of the camera would have to provide you with a firmware that will work with that camera. Once they give you the correct file it should be a case of copying it to the memory card and following Nikos video above :)

Back