I screwed up

CD55

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are always posting videos of other drivers mistakes so I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to posting ours.
I'll start off.
I had just finished a 12 hour shift and was focused on nothing but getting home.
I almost didn't.

Holy ...
Scary. Bet you woke up a bit when you realised what happened.

Here's a vaguely similar event I discussed in another thread. The oncoming van was stationary until it was in my blind spot so I thought only my lane had a green light. I was wrong.

Last edited:
Damn that was close :eek:

I did a similar thing last year (before I had a dash cam) where I'd hit 9 green lights in a row, somehow failed to realise the 10th one was on red before it was too late, and ended up running it. There was a car coming on my left as well - it wasn't as close as the one in your video, but unfortunately for me it was one of those cars with the blue flashing lights... :(

We are always posting videos of other drivers mistakes so I thought it would be fun to have a thread dedicated to posting ours.
I'll start off.
I had just finished a 12 hour shift and was focused on nothing but getting home.
I almost didn't.
you seriously need some RainX on your window there.

not sure about posting videos of you breaking the law mate!

in saying that, I worked 120 odd hours one week a long time ago and did a similar thing, thankfully the road was clear. I now know when I'm so tied I cant tie my shoe lasses its past time for me to drive safely!

Amen. I had to change vans last week. Old one had RainX. Haven't had time to put it on new one. Driving home last night in the rain left me very unhappy. You aren't sure if it's doing a great job when it's there, but once it's gone you realise what a difference it makes. Especially on those pesky side windows without wipers.

If yall ever happen getting hit , I wonder what yall going do with clip??.. haha probably deleted or format the sd.

Holy ...
Scary. Bet you woke up a bit when you realised what happened.

Here's a vaguely similar event I discussed in another thread. The oncoming van was stationary until it was in my blind spot so I thought only my lane had a green light. I was wrong.

Yes , that definitely got my attention.
That was a close call you had for sure.

Amen. I had to change vans last week. Old one had RainX. Haven't had time to put it on new one. Driving home last night in the rain left me very unhappy. You aren't sure if it's doing a great job when it's there, but once it's gone you realise what a difference it makes. Especially on those pesky side windows without wipers.
I was thinking the same thing.
I watched this vid and went and picked up the supplies and a new set of wiper blades

Last edited:
I had to watch the first video twice to see what happened that justified the others reactions here. the first time I only saw you run the red light. Once I caught sight of the headlights to the left... Holy smokes that was close.

Back when I was in high school I was on the way home from working a morning shift one Saturday afternoon. At that point I had been awake for about 30 hours straight with no naps or anything. About 1/2 Mile from home the road made a slight curve to the right (2 lanes going same direction and I was in left lane)... Right about that time I blinked. And it was one of those blinks that feels really nice so it takes a while to open your eyes again... So needless to say I clipped the left curb at about 50 mph and it felt like the left side of the car became airborne. By the grace of God there was nothing on the other side of the curb to hit, didn't throw me into the right lane, and didn't blow out the tire, but it sure as heck got my eyes open!

Made it home, and the only damage I could find was a black mark on the hubcap (hubcap was still firmly attached!) and a matching scuff on the tire itself. Somehow it still drove straight after that - alignment was fine.

20 years later I still vividly remember hitting that curb.

Very dangerous.

I did similar once in Dallas partly due to me not paying attention and partly due to road design.
Near the airport, there are few lights right next to each other and the lights are much taller.
When I got closer, I thought I saw green and drove slowly and then I realized the green was for the next light across the bridge. A chill went down the spine as I looked around if there were any cross traffic. :eek:
Thankfully, no one at 1am.
It was way way before dashcams for public.

Is the "asleep" bit literal or just a metaphor for not paying attention?
I've only had one moment where needing sleep was a problem. I was tired and heading home. Driving along fast A roads I felt fine. The speed and need for constant adjustments stimulates your mind and keeps you alert.
But then I got stuck in one of those stop-start traffic jams in town and the tiredness hit me. Every time I had to stop my eye lids got heavy and closed and I had a micro sleep.
Unfortunately I was stuck in the middle lane and couldn't do anything about it. I seriously considered parking the car in the middle lane and getting out, it was that bad. Somehow I made it through without causing an accident.
I swore to never let that happen again, and it never has.

An important lesson is that it's not just lack of sleep that's the problem - it's the boring, unstimulating, "safe" stretches of road that sends you to sleep.

Without wanting to start any argument... it's worth knowing that most drink-driving accidents have nothing at all to do with impaired reactions. The soporific effect of alcohol merely sends people to sleep. Very typically at night, along those quiet side streets. Lots of factors combining. Of course to an observer it looks like drunk drivers aren't reacting quickly enough, because, well, they aren't, since they're nodding off.

Was in same situation yesterday, a 12 hour fishing trip and all that fresh weather do the same to a man.

I allmost sideswiped a curb when i got home to Randers where i live :oops: will try to remember to recover that footage as i normally allso add my own stupid driving to my youtube uploads.

clip is saved and renamed to "no sleep no drive".

Okay i had been sleeping before i set off from home at 06:00 yesterday, but only 3 hours, and thats the same number of hours i allso got the day before that.
When i woke up today i had been sleeping for 10 houres strait, and that seem to fit well into my only sleep every 3 days or so.

I dont get it for the past 45 years or so i been a champion sleeper, beeing able to sleep on command, but now :rolleyes: i can go tiered to bed and then lie there for 10 houres without beeing able to fall asleep, or if i do manage to fall asleep i wake up in 3 houres and will not be able to fall asleep again.

This is why I'm a staunch opponent to the red-light cameras. At least for their promoted purpose. Your clip is a perfect example of the kind of accident that would likely result in serious injury - and would have happened even if the intersection had been equipped with a camera. The only difference is you would have received a ticket. Those that intentionally run lights are those that run 'fractional' reds (red for no more than a second) or jump a red light a split-second before they turn green. Neither of those cause any increased risk to cross traffic.

Driving into an intersection that has green for cross traffic, because you don't see the red light, are asleep, or otherwise distracted (or under the influence) happens despite red light cameras. Heck, a cop could have been standing there waving a flag, and you likely would not have seen it.

The potential for these kinds of 'accidents' exists for any human. And it takes modesty and self-deprecation to admit it.

So the rain decided to really wake me up that morning.

I was going just over the recommended speed of 25mph and the car just started understeering like crazy. Pretty much my fault for not considering that after not raining for weeks, the oil on the road would make everything slippery when it rained.

So the rain decided to really wake me up that morning.

I was going just over the recommended speed of 25mph and the car just started understeering like crazy. Pretty much my fault for not considering that after not raining for weeks, the oil on the road would make everything slippery when it rained.
I hate that first rain.
It can really catch you by surprise.

This is why I'm a staunch opponent to the red-light cameras. At least for their promoted purpose. Your clip is a perfect example of the kind of accident that would likely result in serious injury - and would have happened even if the intersection had been equipped with a camera. The only difference is you would have received a ticket. Those that intentionally run lights are those that run 'fractional' reds (red for no more than a second) or jump a red light a split-second before they turn green. Neither of those cause any increased risk to cross traffic.

Driving into an intersection that has green for cross traffic, because you don't see the red light, are asleep, or otherwise distracted (or under the influence) happens despite red light cameras. Heck, a cop could have been standing there waving a flag, and you likely would not have seen it.

The potential for these kinds of 'accidents' exists for any human. And it takes modesty and self-deprecation to admit it.
++1

I hate that first rain.
It can really catch you by surprise.

Aye, I've had one bad experience from a really heavy first rain as well. Going into a carpark in the early hours, road was soaked and I took a sharp right corner with a recommended speed limit of 5mph at about 20mph - as no one actually slows down to 5mph for it anyway when it's dry. I made the turn just fine, but when I turned the wheel back to the left the car just kept going right, and I ended up sideways across both lanes. Thankfully no one was around, so I corrected it and drove on.

That weekend I was talking to some of my friends who drive, and it turns out the exact same thing happened to them at the exact same place just 2 days afterwards. However they were going ever so slightly faster than I was, and to this day there is still a big chunk missing out of the kerb on that road :p

That reaction was actually pretty good.

Back