Street Guardian has the SG9665GC listed

Best option is to use registratorviewer to create a subtitle file as you export the video clip you want. This will allow you to show embedded actual real time GPS data on the video even in YouTube etc. it's quite simple to do.

Not everyone wants to spend the time to go to the trouble of doing that. Many users just want a camera that gives them the video options they seek right out of the box. Personally, I want the option to embed the GPS data in the video,..... or not, just like many other cameras on the market. I especially like the mini 0806 which offers to the option of on/off printing of the data on the video without turning off the GPS which is a separate setting.

Not everyone wants to spend the time to go to the trouble of doing that. Many users just want a camera that gives them the video options they seek right out of the box. .

can appreciate that, for this task where he wants to edit videos for a specific purpose it's maybe not a lot of extra work, if in the case of an 0806 for his specific task it could still be preferable to add a subtitle overlay based on real time data than relying on embedded data which is delayed, no camera with embedded GPS data does it real time, they are all delayed, some more so than others, I understand the attraction but unless we can get it accurate with very minimal delay it won't be done, we might miss out on some sales as a result of not having this feature but it's not really a feature if we can't have it work properly

Wow, quick reply Jokiin & Mr. Pier. Thanks. I'll look into the registratorviewer. There's a ton of stuff to learn. Just what I need, another hobby.

No problem, here are some more tips on how to get this going.

1) Adjust registratorviewer profile to suite the SG9665GC.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/4nsvpj9on2y426c/Configure-Registrator-Viewer-for-SG9665XX-series.pdf

2) Follow this guide on how to export a video clip.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/dp4p9gpribkz0rt/Export-files-from-Registrator-Viewer.pdf

When you export the video, check the box for subtitle.
xsAGNeP.png

Now when you upload your video to youtube, you can include this file and it will overlay your GPS data in the location, font, color, size of your choosing. (also will show up locally via VLC player)

Like @jokiin said, the GPS data will be accurate too without any lag or delay.

Now when you upload your video to youtube, you can include this file and it will overlay your GPS data in the location, font, color, size of your choosing. (also will show up locally via VLC player)

Like @jokiin said, the GPS data will be accurate too without any lag or delay.
how do you upload 2 files together to youtube?

sweet, that's cool, didn't know you could do that.

someone here previously did embedded speed on their videos using an editor and it looked like it came that way, was just trying to find the post but can't recall who it was

someone here previously did embedded speed on their videos using an editor and it looked like it came that way, was just trying to find the post but can't recall who it was

I have one from my old mini 0801 but can't find the link yet. I remember I disabled the built-in OSD and preferred this method.

can appreciate that, for this task where he wants to edit videos for a specific purpose it's maybe not a lot of extra work, if in the case of an 0806 for his specific task it could still be preferable to add a subtitle overlay based on real time data than relying on embedded data which is delayed, no camera with embedded GPS data does it real time, they are all delayed, some more so than others, I understand the attraction but unless we can get it accurate with very minimal delay it won't be done, we might miss out on some sales as a result of not having this feature but it's not really a feature if we can't have it work properly

If someone wants super accurate embedded data I can understand, but many of us don't require that level of accuracy. My old GT680 embeds GPS data and speed quite well from what I've been able to tell, especially the GPS coordinates. Personally, I would like to be able to easily document my locations without editing tricks. I don't really care about speed as it isn't admissible in US courts anyway from what I've heard. Why should it be such a big deal to offer a GPS location option in the firmware like on other cams?

Last edited:
as I said I can appreciate the need, it's easier to do if using an Aptina sensor, the tradeoff of the Sony sensor is much higher data throughput which means less memory available for other functions, this data needs to be embedded in every single frame, updating the data and embedding it is more involved than it may seem, if it were easy to do it would have been there long ago

as I said I can appreciate the need, it's easier to do if using an Aptina sensor, the tradeoff of the Sony sensor is much higher data throughput which means less memory available for other functions, this data needs to be embedded in every single frame, updating the data and embedding it is more involved than it may seem, if it were easy to do it would have been there long ago

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it was sensor dependent, but rather assumed it relied on the GPS module's data and the DSP.

Also, I understand the current DSP has two channels available and you are only using one of them which one might assume should provide more available memory and processing power, no?... (Just a layman's theorizing. :))

I have one from my old mini 0801 but can't find the link yet. I remember I disabled the built-in OSD and preferred this method.

Here are two mini 0801 examples from years ago. Note this was before I even thought about getting into the DashCam business.
(Be sure to turn CC on if needed)

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize it was sensor dependent, but rather assumed it relied on the GPS module's data and the DSP.

Also, I understand the current DSP has two channels available and you are only using one of them which one might assume should provide more available memory and processing power, no?... (Just a layman's theorizing. :))

we have the data from the GPS, it's logged already, that part is simple, manipulating the data and injecting it in every frame of video needs more memory throughput, the processor is two channel capable but only running single channel which gives us other advantages such as running cooler but we still have a memory bottleneck, even though the processor is multi channel capable it's not like a dual core computer CPU where different cores can do different tasks, it's still a single core processor so still has to do it all, we haven't worked out a way to have it working reliably and accurately at this time without it having some other negative impact, want to avoid having one step forward, two steps back

Thanks for all the information folks. I took the plunge, looking forward to using it.

Looks like embedding the GPS information is fairly straightforward, and should work fine for my purposes.

I was inclined to agree with Dashmellow (and still sorta do, IF it didn't impact the performance in other areas, which has been addressed) until I watched the videos showing the delay.

I'm not really sure how to describe this, but I don't know if the problem is with my unit or my SD card.

There are two things that I have found:
1. Recordings are sometimes cut short. For example, a drive to work may cut short sometime during the last half of the drive.
2. Recordings sometimes have "missing" parts in the middle of the video where Registration Viewer cannot play it back.

For #1 where recordings are cut short, it is literally as I've described it. I might be on a 20 minute drive, but the video is only 7 minutes long. It always records from the beginning, but sometimes the recording stops short somewhere. I can't seem to find a pattern as to why this happens, it just cuts short sometimes. When this happens, the unit's screen turns on but the red recording light is still flashing.

For #2 where recordings have missing parts in the middle, I don't know how else to describe it. Registration Viewer *shows* that there's something there, but it's dark grey and it skips over that section. See the attached image, see the grey areas in the time stamps. I don't know why this happens or what it means. Could someone explain please?

These have been happening over the past month. I hadn't reported anything to the forum because I wanted to test multiple SD cards. I have confirmed that both issues happen across the 3 microSD cards I have. I also went out and bought a new 32GB microSD card (Sandisk, UH-1 Class 10) to make sure that the original 2 I have on hand aren't defective and causing any problems.

Thanks!

Attachments

• registrationviewer.png
    registrationviewer.png
    9 KB · Views: 13
Back