Blackvue 650 hardwiring help MK7 VW GTI

s1nrgy

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just received my camera today but wont get around to installing it until tomorrow. I just have a question about hardwiring it. I am basing my setup off of this guy since he has the same model car. He just did not go into detail about what other amp fuses he used on the add a fuses. I am also using the power magic pro to do this the same as him.

c7802ace98032938dbc1d84d6ee355de.jpg
4080f56197c9ccd516a471fb47095fa7.jpg

Here is a fuse diagram to go with it to help clarify what I need help with.

056147cc3abe338f028e7484455c7d41.jpg
6e2fa5bc5ada9eafdc740768a3b830db.jpg

So for the add a fuse on the left, it is connected to the trailer control unit which has an Amp rating of 15. So if I were to use that fuse for the parking mode, does that mean I would need a 15amp fuse? Also what amperage fuse would I need to add on top of that? I've seen people say 5 works fine but some people use 10 which I am kind of iffy about.

Lastly, for the on ignition only power fuse on the right, it is tapped into the cigarette lighter fuse, which has an amp rating of 20. For that one I would be using that original fuse that is in there and for the added fuse, would a 5A fuse work as well? I am mechanically inclined but not so much on the electrical side.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me if possible.

So if I were to use that fuse for the parking mode, does that mean I would need a 15amp fuse?
You may use the same rating or lesser. I use 10amp

on ignition only power fuse on the right, it is tapped into the cigarette lighter fuse, which has an amp rating of 20. For that one I would be using that original fuse that is in there and for the added fuse, would a 5A fuse work as well?
I use 10amp too on this.

Now make I see you are using the Piggy Back fuse adapter, please ensure the bottom fuse is the original rating and the top is the one for the dash cam.

You may use the same rating or lesser. I use 10amp

I use 10amp too on this.

Now make I see you are using the Piggy Back fuse adapter, please ensure the bottom fuse is the original rating and the top is the one for the dash cam.

Thanks for the reply dhavie. Just to reconfirm, since I will not be using the trailer module for its intended use, I would just need 1 10A fuse in the bottom spot? Or would I be using 2 10amp fuses?

And for the cigarette lighter fuse, I would be using the original 20A fuse on the bottom and a 10A on the top yes?

Last edited:
since I will not be using the trailer module for its intended use, I would just need 1 10A fuse in the bottom spot?

Yes for just one fuse but located at the top. The bottom slot is for the original device. Since you are not using it, you do not need a fuse for the bottom. Just put on the top where it use for the cam.

And for the cigarette lighter fuse, I would be using the original 20A fuse on the bottom and a 10A on the top?

Yes sir. Correct.

Thank you very much! Saved me from a major headache when I install this tomorrow.

Safety precaution. Do not plug the power cable in the cam when you are doing the installation. After complete and do your checking with multimeter, then plug it in.

Thank you

Back