Is there such thing as a side view dashcam? (For your car doors)

What model dash cam are you using for the front, back, and sides?

● Front - SG9665GC
● Rear - Mobius - with super-capacitors and "B" lens
● Left - Mobius - with super-capacitors and "B" lens mounted in a "C" module base
● Right - currently the mini-0806 featured in my last posts as part of an ongoing experimental rotation of different cameras and lens configurations. All summer I ran a G1W-H fitted with a Mobius "C" lens. (examples HERE)

Some other examples from a GT680W and others above in post #5.

Last edited:
● Front - SG9665GC
● Left - Mobius - with super-capacitors and "B" lens mounted in a "C" module base
● Right - currently the mini-0806 featured in my last posts as part of an ongoing experimental rotation of different cameras and lens configurations. All summer I ran a G1W-H fitted with a Mobius "C" lens. (examples HERE)

You need a larger truck :)

That's quite the setup for sure, nothing will be missed unless it comes from above/below!

I feel totally naked without my rear and side cameras now. It all started out as an experiment but now there's no going back. :p

Here's a rear view on a rainy day.

mobius-rear.jpg

All kidding aside, that is a great setup you have. That is nice footage out of the back with the Mobius!

Thanks Gabacho!

The Mobius "B" lens seems ideal out the back window of a pick-up truck. It covers both sides of the vehicle just about right up to where the side cameras take over, while at the same time not showing much barrel distortion typically seen in wide lenses. The camera/lens combination also seems to capture plenty of useful detail and license plate numbers of cars following behind me. The other thing I really like is that I get complete surveillance coverage of any cargo in the bed of the truck when I park somewhere. To top the whole thing off the camera is quite stealthy and people who do notice it often don't realize that it's a camera.

Last edited:
BTW, if anyone should doubt the value of a side facing camera, especially considering the prospect of someone damaging or tampering with your vehicle from one side or the other, note how well my side camera captured the above guy's license plate number as he enters the parking space.

View attachment 18477

Sadly that doesn't work in FL where front plates are not required. Unless, of course, the guy backs in...

Sadly that doesn't work in FL where front plates are not required. Unless, of course, the guy backs in...

I can think of countless parking situations where my rear and side cameras would otherwise be useless unless vehicles had front plates, so I'm sorry to hear that.
I've read that many police departments in states like Florida advocate for front plates for obvious reasons. It certainly doesn't make their job any easier when they are looking for a specific vehicle they happen to encounter coming from the opposite direction.

Last edited:
● Front - SG9665GC

Where did you get the Mobius with super capacitors? Also, how do you have all of this wired up?

Where did you get the Mobius with super capacitors? Also, how do you have all of this wired up?

What is this, twenty questions? :rolleyes:

OK, as you can see under my avatar I own 4 Mobius cameras. Two came from the manufacturer on eBay and two came from Banggood, as did the capacitors. (One of them was actually built from spare parts bought from Banggood and a lens module I already owned.) The whole thing is wired with two 15 foot and two 10 foot USB-A to mini-B 5 pin cables from Monoprice (two of which I have modified to eliminate the data wires). All four cables are plugged into two 4.8 amp dual port USB cigarette lighter plug adapters. (My vehicle has two 12V ports up front)

Edit: I run all four cameras in full time "parking mode" using two battery banks when away from the vehicle......lasts many, many hours.

What is this, twenty questions? :rolleyes:

OK, as you can see under my avatar I own 4 Mobius cameras. Two came from the manufacturer on eBay and two came from Banggood, as did the capacitors. (One of them was actually built from spare parts bought from Banggood and a lens module I already owned.) The whole thing is wired with two 15 foot and two 10 foot USB-A to mini-B 5 pin cables from Monoprice (two of which I have modified to eliminate the data wires). All four cables are plugged into two 4.8 amp dual port USB cigarette lighter plug adapters. (My vehicle has two 12V ports up front)

Edit: I run all four cameras in full time "parking mode" using two battery banks when away from the vehicle......lasts many, many hours.

I was just curious. Plus, I really like the Mobius camera for the side views, but I couldn't find one with a super capacitor from a reseller that I trust. :)

I was just curious. Plus, I really like the Mobius camera for the side views, but I couldn't find one with a super capacitor from a reseller that I trust. :)

The cameras don't come with a super-capacitor. You need to buy a module separately, remove the existing battery and plug in the caps. It takes a minute or two and is a piece of cake. You can buy super-capacitors for the Mobius from Banggood, Gearbest, and eletoponline365 - the camera's manufacturer on eBay (you need to contact them and ask as they don't list them). All three are trusted sellers. Banggood currently has the best price - $5.29 delivered.

I can think of countless parking situations where my rear and side cameras would otherwise be useless unless vehicles had front plates, so I'm sorry to hear that.
I've read that many police departments in states like Florida advocate for front plates for obvious reasons. It certainly doesn't make their job any easier when they are looking for a specific vehicle they happen to encounter coming from the opposite direction.
We recently tried to use my dashcam footage to report a camaro who ignored the school bus' flashing red lights and stop signs. We had a clear view of the front of the car as he made his turn, and even though Texas is a two plate state, he didn't have one mounted. And the rear plate wasn't legible once it came into view.

This particular camaro is constantly speeding thru our neighborhood so that's why we tried. We can't bust him for speeding but we could surely turn him in for the school bus violation, which is a $1500 fine here.

And here I thought I was already happy with my up and coming two camera setup... Reading this thread got me thinking /planning again.

The problem here is that my car (lancer ex) does not have any fixed windows, not sure on how I would setup the side facing camera.

There was talk a while back of a scam they were calling 'flash for cash'. You're sat waiting to pull out of a side road, the guy coming down the main road flashes his lights to let you out - but instead of slowing, he carries on, straight into you. You pulled out on him therefore you are at fault. A front cam wouldn't capture the flash and a rear cam might show just how close the other guy was as you pulled out on him.
Since then, I've been determined to have a 4 cam setup - just can't get around to sorting myself out.

Back