Considering Buying the SGZC12SG, Just Have a Few Questions

Troop

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been looking for a quality dash camera for a while now, and after a good amount of research I've narrowed down my choices to the SGZC12SG and the Panorama S (2015). Basically, I need a dash camera with superb night video quality (I do a majority of my driving at night), can withstand heat, has great reliability, and isn't off the wall expensive. GPS is important as well, which is part of the reason I'm split between these two. So, I'll just get right to the point:

• Are the SGZC12SG and Panorama S manufactured by different companies? It looks like PowerUCC manufactures the Panorama S and Street Guardian manufactures the SGZC12SG. What I don't understand is why they both have the Panorama name, but are given different forums categories.
  • As I understand it, they both have the same sensor, so, should I expect any differences in terms of image quality? They seem to be the same.
  • Should I expect a significant difference between an external and internal GPS? I would vastly prefer internal as I already have a good number of wires in my car taking up space.
  • Would these be compatible with a Class 10 SD card? It's a microSD in an adapter and only gets ~48 Mb/s, but I've heard ideal rate is ~90 Mb/s.
Thanks for any help!

they both originate from the same source, our version has had more work done in the firmware to suit western markets, selectable MPH/KPH display, higher bitrate recording etc, things that matter more for the markets where we sell our products

the Panorama S is still a fine product

use a full size SD card, MicroSD cards in adapters are not recommended

both are sold and supported in the USA by @Pier28 so either one will get you top quality after sales support

Hi happy to help, your research is sound.

Both products share some resources and history between Shenzhen and Korea. "Panorama G" name is being phased out as that was the original name before Street Guardian took over and enhanced the product, firmware, packaging, accessories, support etc. I co-branded both names for awhile to ride on the Panorama legacy but I agree it only confuses things really. We recently just removed the Panorama G section on the forum here since it no longer technically exists. (and moved all history to the SGZC12SG section) The model number might not roll off the tongue but it's easier to find in google searches etc.

Panorama S is a fine product still as Jokiin said.

Image quality will be the same. (same sensor/lens)

Panorama S will be in KPH and wont have the MPH option the SGZC12SG has. If you want GPS you really should get the Street Guardian . The universal T-peg mounts are easier to use and mounts are more versatile than the fixed U-bracket mount of the S.

Class 10 SD card is the minimal recommended card. Get a full size SD card and not a microSD with SD adapter. Anything faster will only help speed up transfers to your computer via USB 3.0 adapter and won't affect actual quality or performance in the camera itself.

Awesome, thanks for the answers guys. I guess I'll probably be going with the SGZC12SG, it seemed to have everything I wanted anyway. One question, which is somewhat unrelated, but what exactly does the constant power supply do? Is it equivalent to a hard-wiring kit? I understand it's related to the parking mode on the SGZC12SG, but is it necessary?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can hard wire if you plan to only have it record while the engine is running (switched ACC)

If you want to take advantage of parking mode and pre-buffered motion detection you'll want to get a battery discharge prevention device such as the PANOBDP MotoPark
(connected to unswitched BAT)

More info:
https://dashcamtalk.com/battery-discharge-prevention/

Ah, sorry, completely missed that link in your reply to the original constant power supply thread. Thanks for the help, pretty sure I know what I'm getting now.

I also am pretty sure I know what I'm going to get, but have one question. The rear camera doesn't come with the SGZC12SG and needs to be bought separately. What camera should I buy to add a rear camera to this product? Do I need to buy anything else other than a camera? This is a gift for my husband and I want to make sure he'll have everything he needs.

we have compatible cameras that have everything you need to work with this, not sure if @Pier28 has any in stock right now though, best to check with them

I also am pretty sure I know what I'm going to get, but have one question. The rear camera doesn't come with the SGZC12SG and needs to be bought separately. What camera should I buy to add a rear camera to this product? Do I need to buy anything else other than a camera? This is a gift for my husband and I want to make sure he'll have everything he needs.

The optional rear camera operation can be read about here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ion-of-rear-reversing-camera-recording.14926/

We don't have the rear cameras in stock yet, but should in the next few weeks. Here are the products from the official Street Guardian site in Australia.
http://streetguardian.info/products/safety-view-systems/reverse-cameras
The rear camera option is a new feature so we are looking to stock some or all of these soon.

In the event we don't get the official rear cameras in stock before X'mas, you can use any standard composite backup camera. (that has a backup reverse trigger wire)

Last edited:

Rear camera has to be bought separately and can record only while engaged ( via reversing gear or switch ). It records analogue signal. Can not record two ( front and rear ) cameras at the time, only can record one channel at a time. You can read more from thread below.
SGZC12SS PRO-series

Back