Noob - Dashcam for Miata - ~$100 Budget

Mako

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,

After purchasing a Falcon Zero F170 that did not work out of box, I learned about the Fake dashcams and reviews that have flooded Amazon. I am now here to be enlightened :)
I live in Hawaii. Good video quality is a must - SO MANY POTHOLES.
Under $100 would be nice but under $150 if it has a reverse cam as well.

Desired Features -

Very Good Daytime Quality - Good night time quality
Parking mode
GPS
DISCREET - so thieves don't cut my soft top.
With screen too.
REARVIEW CAMERA - i have a soft top so my mounting options are limited.
Maybe a cheap separate camera for the rear?

Was looking at maybe a rearview mirror mounted/replacement.

Any suggestions? :D

Last edited:
Welcome Mako.

Welcome to DCT Mako :) Whatever purchase you make a check of the list of approved sellers would be advisable. Good Luck!

When I started looking my budget was $150 ish and while there are cameras at that price, after all the reading/videos I agreed that the video quality of the more expensive ones didn't match up to the Mobius (unless you get into the $200-$300 price range.) It doesn't have a screen or GPS, but you'd be hard pressed to find something of quality that has all of your wish list within your budget.

I don't take my laptop everywhere with me so I purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00R0ZAMTM
I can just plug the SD card into it and into the phone and produce the video should I need to on the spot. It makes up for not having a screen in my opinion.

I think you'll need to compromise or increase your budget.

A screen allso means the design will be less optimal in regard to discreetness.
Beside most dashcams allso have a pretty small screen and low res at that, so previewing anything on them cant be fun, you can use it to settings and aim the camera, but thats allso it i think.
Ofcourse some cameras now have upwards of 3" screens, but that is not good for size of the thing.
Better to play footage on phone if thats possible, or in my case i have a 2DIN headunit, and it too allow for me to play files on it via a SD slot or USB input on the front.

Parking Sensor & GPS would be a plus.

But most importantly good video quality and night vision. Discreet would be great.
Any good dualcam options?

Parking Sensor & GPS would be a plus.

But most importantly good video quality and night vision. Discreet would be great.
Any good dualcam options?

Has your budget increased along with the list of wants?

When it come to dual cameras most seem to have a front unit thats large and have a large LCD screen, rear cameras are usioally pretty small.

I do hope somthing with 2 small cameras come out in 2016, 2 small cameras on a wire, and a central unit with a screen to store some place out of view.

One of the best options for dual camera and discreets right now is the SGZC12RC, but you will have to get 2 as they are single camera dashcams.
hqdefault.jpg

But they dont have GPS, and you will have 2 main units to hide, though they are small you still have to hide them if you want discreete.
But they can just be trown in the glove box if a miata have one of those, or maybe stash them in a box under a seat, that way you can allways fish them out if you need to make changes or preview somthing.
Video quality day and night is as good as it get with current hardware.
Ther parking mode should be good, as in it have prebuffered footage so your saved recordings will contain footage about 10 seconds before what ever triggered the recording.

Back