Showing off the 4K (Interpolated) Goodness of SJ5000X Elite Edition

tgrdrgrss

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Dash Cam
Tronsport SJ4000; SJCAM SJ5000+, SJCAM SJ5000X Elite, K6000
Just as I was about to leave SJCAM brand and change direction to other brand, the latest SJ5000X Elite Edition came out on the market.
I mainly use SJCAM for daily commute with my bike, snorkeling and some random occasion with family and friends.
The reason that I upgraded to SJ5000X Elite is to try out the 4K goodness (I still own the SJ4000 and SJ5000+).

Without further ado, here are samples of my daily commute video.
4K Night Test Ride with SJ5000X Elite Edition (Gyro ON)

4K Day Test Ride with SJ5000X Elite Edition (Gyro ON)

The information about the video can be seen on the video page.
All videos are created and uploaded straight to YouTube.

My impression:
Value wise, $150 is not bad for a 4K capable action camera.

Suggestions:
- Improve the maximum capacity of microSD to more than 64GB
- Improve the battery life without reducing quality
- Fair update to SJ5000X Elite, if there will be another 'batch'.

More to follow. :)

Just as I was about to leave SJCAM brand and change direction to other brand, the latest SJ5000X Elite Edition came out on the market.
I mainly use SJCAM for daily commute with my bike, snorkeling and some random occasion with family and friends.
The reason that I upgraded to SJ5000X Elite is to try out the 4K goodness (I still own the SJ4000 and SJ5000+).

Without further ado, here are samples of my daily commute video.
4K Night Test Ride with SJ5000X Elite Edition (Gyro ON)

4K Day Test Ride with SJ5000X Elite Edition (Gyro ON)

The information about the video can be seen on the video page.
All videos are created and uploaded straight to YouTube.

My impression:
Value wise, $150 is not bad for a 4K capable action camera.

Suggestions:
- Improve the maximum capacity of microSD to more than 64GB
- Improve the battery life without reducing quality
- Fair update to SJ5000X Elite, if there will be another 'batch'.

More to follow. :)

Thanks for sharing...

Regarding 4K, it is actually interpolated for 4k. The 2K is actually 2.5k so it really depends on how one terms the "K" resolutions.

Keep up the great work and make sure to submit you videos into the SJCAM Video Contest!

Thanks for sharing...

Regarding 4K, it is actually interpolated for 4k. The 2K is actually 2.5k so it really depends on how one terms the "K" resolutions.

Keep up the great work and make sure to submit you videos into the SJCAM Video Contest!

Well that is a bummer.
So what you are saying is:
2160p @24fps is actually interpolated?

So what is the real res from this cam?

Well that is a bummer.
So what you are saying is:
2160p @24fps is actually interpolated?

So what is the real res from this cam?
Good question!

4K Ultra HD video should be 3840 x 2160.

I think you will find that your 4K video files contain 2880x2160 if you look inside them.

I guess that 2880x2160 is an upscaled 1080 standard HD?

It will be better quality since it will have 50% more bitrate and a lot less frame rate, but it is certainly not true 4K Ultra HD video. The scaling to fit on a 1080 or 4K monitor is also nicer than the scaling from the 2K as it is an exact multiple for the vertical and a nice value for the horizontal, but it may not contain as much detail as the 2K?

Well explained @Nigel.

In fact most "4K" cameras on the market are actually interpolated. As long as you are happy with the Video camera / frames rate , etc, that is what really matters :)

@tgrdrgrss Keep shooting lovely footage of Jakarta!

In fact most "4K" cameras on the market are actually interpolated. As long as you are happy with the Video camera / frames rate , etc, that is what really matters :)

all the Chinese 4k cameras are like this, some are even worse with really low frame rate, it's deceptive marketing though

all the Chinese 4k cameras are like this, some are even worse with really low frame rate, it's deceptive marketing though
Even GoPro haven't managed to release a true 4K 60fps camera yet!

But since most people can't see the difference they are easily fooled, as with the OP!

My GitUp Git2 does interpolated 4K (not fake since they don't claim it to be real), however I always use it at 1080 60fps because I can see the video is so much smoother with the extra frame rate while my TV can't display the extra resolution of 4K and my eyes can't see it even if it could display it. I don't normally even bother with the 2K which it can do. High quality, high frame rate HD can be very good. Fake 4K can be very poor, fills up the memory card fast and empties the batteries fast.

Reactions: Mtz
In fact most "4K" cameras on the market are actually interpolated.
No they are not. Most of Chinese cheap knock offs are interpolated. It is shameful to say something like this. Misleading as well. I really disagree with this. Actual companies that care about customers do not do such things.
So if every single knock off brand is cheating, its is OKAY?
Typical Chinese company way of doing stuff.

I'd think if anything they'd do a 4k 24fps, that's what the enthusiasts want

But since most people can't see the difference they are easily fooled, as with the OP!

My GitUp Git2 does interpolated 4K (not fake since they don't claim it to be real),.

I agree and that says a lot about their integrity, there's too many fake claims about resolution, specification etc from the majority of manufacturers and it only confuses the end users

Oh my God, and this :
depends on how one terms the "K" resolutions.

Please stop posting things like this. People on this forum are not dumb.
There is a standard in "K". If you did not know, it exist. It can be found on Wiki.
Stuff like this show us how much people care about their customers.
Ford once said "You can have any color, as long as it's black", and this was typical orientation on product, not customers. Looks like things haven't changed much.

My GitUp Git2 does interpolated 4K (not fake since they don't claim it to be real)
The "4K" text is only exist in the Git2 video resolution menu, and this will be removed in next week firmware, will declare it as 2160P.
Actually say, if you mention the 4K in the product listing title, it will help much for selling.
As I saw many people buy the camera because of the 4K spec, most of people trust what your wrote on gift box.

As I saw many people buy the camera because of the 4K spec, most of people trust what your wrote on gift box.

unfortunately that's true, people take the specifications listed as being true, when they find out they are not true then they feel cheated and don't trust you after

good to see you are not following the usual deceptive ways of others by pretending your product is something that is not, you might miss some sales from people that believe the false claims of others but in the long run your business will be more successful

My GitUp Git2 does interpolated 4K (not fake since they don't claim it to be real), however I always use it at 1080 60fps because I can see the video is so much smoother with the extra frame rate while my TV can't display the extra resolution of 4K and my eyes can't see it even if it could display it. I don't normally even bother with the 2K which it can do. High quality, high frame rate HD can be very good. Fake 4K can be very poor, fills up the memory card fast and empties the batteries fast.
Yes, I'm a fool. :(
But I checked back to SJCAMHD website and it did claimed that SJ5000X Elite "4K" res is indeed interpolated.
4kinterpolated.JPG
I have changed the title of this thread too to prevent other 'fool' member or future buyers to be tricked by me.

Oh my God, and this :
Please stop posting things like this. People on this forum are not dumb.
There is a standard in "K". If you did not know, it exist. It can be found on Wiki.
Stuff like this show us how much people care about their customers.
Ford once said "You can have any color, as long as it's black", and this was typical orientation on product, not customers. Looks like things haven't changed much.
I agree.
3840 x 2160 isn't considered to be 4K, as it is only Ultra HD as stated on Wiki.
And to make things worst, this Ultra HD res is only interpolated too. *sigh*
Again, my bad for being this easily fooled.

The "4K" text is only exist in the Git2 video resolution menu, and this will be removed in next week firmware, will declare it as 2160P.
Actually say, if you mention the 4K in the product listing title, it will help much for selling.
Nice move there. Hope u guys won't fall into the trend and keep being honest.
Wish only they sold GitUp product here so I can try it out myself.

Well explained @Nigel.

@tgrdrgrss Keep shooting lovely footage of Jakarta!
Guess you guys need a lot to do with this.
My suggestion:
1. Change the "4K" text to 2160p or Ultra HD like GitUp did.
2. Start being honest to your costumer if you want to have loyal customers.

I'd think if anything they'd do a 4k 24fps, that's what the enthusiasts want
It's an action camera not a movie camera, temporal resolution should take priority over the ultimate in signal to noise ratio!

TV frame rate.

yes I understand that, if anything I see higher frame rates being multiples of 24, eg 4k@48fps or 4k@120fps, can't see 4k@60fps being very useful when it doesn't benefit the playback device, I think we're a while away from seeing that, not even GoPro is there yet

Back