Mini 0826 Dashcam (1296P 30fps, with GPS and CPL filter) review

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
Mini 0826 Dashcam (1296P 30fps, with GPS and CPL filter) review

Thanks to Gearbest for supplying this unit.

Product link: Price: $74.99USD w/ free shipping
Coupon: GBMINI0826

Review:

The Mini 0826 (successor to the Mini 0806) is currently the newest offering in the Mini 08XX series, utilizing the same Ambarella A7LA50 chipset capable of recording videos in resolutions up to 1296p (30fps). It has all the features you would expect from a dashcam including: auto start/stop, seamless loop recording, GPS data stamping, time stamping, motion detection, wide viewing angle, etc.

The Mini 0826 has superb video recording capabilities in high resolutions such as 2560x1080p (30fps, 21:9 aspect ratio) and 2304x1296p (30fps) -- or 1920x1080 (45fps) and 1280x720p (60fps), if you prefer higher frame rates. Note that HDR function is only supported at 1080p resolution or below.

Initial impressions of the Mini 0826 (in comparison to the 0806) are that the 0826 is superior in regards to build quality as the body now has a rubberized coating giving it a more premium feel, whereas the 0806 used regular hard plastic. The 0826 is slightly larger than the 0806; the form factor may have been redesigned to eliminate heat issues commonly found across Mini series dashcams. The Mini 0826 only supports microSD cards up to 64GB, whereas the 0806 claimed to support up to 256GB (128GBx2). Other than that, the two cameras are extremely similar. Both Mini 0806 and 0826 use the same interchangeable slide mount.

*The initial batches of the Mini 0806 had some issues, and I have also read some complaints of bugged firmware even with the more recent units. I believe the manufacturer chose to end support for the Mini 0806 (due to poor reputation) and opted to create a 2nd version of the camera, hence the similar but tweaked specifications of both units.

At $74.99USD, I would definitely recommend the Mini 0826. It is a dashcam that does it all. Perfect form factor, great video quality, high resolution, tons of features, small price tag. The GPS module and CPL filter are not typically included with the Mini 0826. The only improvement I’d wish to see in the Mini 0826 would be a capacitor version for peace of mind in extreme weather. My Mini 0806 (since May 2015) hasn't had any issues yet so I’m not too concerned about the battery failing on me.

Currently, the Mini 0826 is cheaper than the Mini 0806.

Sample clips:

Original sample clips to be uploaded soon

Stock photos:

201512090925188208.jpg

Specifications and feature list:

• Model: MINI 0826
  • Type: HD Car DVR Recorder, Full HD Dashcam
  • Chipset Name: Ambarella
  • Chipset: Ambarella A7LA50
  • Special Function: WDR, HDR, GPS, ADAS (LDWS, FCW, FCWD)
  • Storage: Built-in 8GB internal memory
  • Max External Card Supported: TF 64G (not included)
  • Class Rating Requirements: Class 10 or Above
  • Screen Size: 1.5inch
  • Screen Type: TFT
  • Battery type: Built-in
  • Capacity: 330mAh
  • Charge Way: Car charger, USB charge by PC
  • Wide Angle: 135 degree wide angle lens
  • Image Sensor: 3.2M pixel CMOS
  • Video Format: MOV
  • Video Resolution: 720P (1280 x 720), 1296P (2304 x 1296), 2560 x 1080, 1080P (1920 x 1080)
  • Video System: PAL, NTSC
  • Video Output: AV-OUT, HDMI
  • Image Format: JPG
  • Audio System: Built-in microphone/speaker (AAC)
  • Exposure Compensation: +2, -2, 0
  • White Balance Mode: Daylight, Auto, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Cloudy
  • Language: English, Russian, Simplified Chinese

Box contents:

• 1 x Mini 0826 HD DVR,
  • 1 x USB Cable,
  • 1 x Lens Cleaning Cloth,
  • 3 x 3M Sticker,
  • 1 x Car Adapter,
  • 1 x GPS mount,
  • 1 x Film,
  • 1 x CPL,
  • 6 x Cable Clip

201512090925198835.jpg

Reactions: Mtz
Which CMOS Image Sensor is used for 0826?

enjoy,
Mtz

I'm not entirely sure. That information was not posted anywhere, I tried searching several sources and they only say "3.2MPixel CMOS"

You could dump the firmware and that should tell you what image sensor is in there

Should be the Omnivision OV4689. Firmware for the Mini 0805 is identical to the Firmware for the Mini 0826.

I believe the manufacturer chose to end support for the Mini 0806 (due to poor reputation) and opted to create a 2nd version of the camera, hence the similar but tweaked specifications of both units.
Should be the Omnivision OV4689. Firmware for the Mini 0805 is identical to the Firmware for the Mini 0826.
This means the 0826 is not made at 0806 factory but at 0805 factory. The 0806 factory is making now the nanoQ and I expect to be better than actual 08_09xx series. I hope at least the 0807 which is made at 0805 factory to be a good dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

So a little more reading...
The Mini 0826 is manufactured by Sky High? Sky High is one of the manufacturers for Mini 0801, 0803, 0805, as well as the upcoming 0807 and 0901.

Is this more correct?

Hi

I have my first Dashcam, a mini 0826, and am enjoying it. I think it's a little odd how it keeps beeping at various points and flashes up some text that you have no chance of reading. But anyway I'm working out that some is related to the lane departure warning, and some if you approach vehicle in front too quickly. Not sure about other instances.

Anyway my question that I hope someone can help me with is optimal resolution. At highest resolution2304 x 1296 I seem to get a really quite stuttered playback. Not pleasant to watch. When I first set it up I think I might have used (1920 x 1080 for 45 fps and that was fine to playback. But I change too many things at once to make it easy to be sure without a bit of testing.

Will any of these things likely create the stutter, or is it really about frame rate. Videos on reviews I see look quite wide and remain smooth.

Pal or NTSC
CPL fitted
Memory card specs. I've used both very high speed Samsung and SanDisk (although SanDisk is faster). I have good video on the SanDisk but I think that may be when I had it set at 45fps.

Its a shame on playback it doesn't show resolution

So this is a long post. Basically any help I can get to set it up for best performance would be greatly appreciated.

Good question. No. Im just looking at the stuttered video from this afternoon and it stutters on pc but not on camera. But I also have video from day 1 and it is smooth on camera and on pc.

I've also just worked out I don't know which is the external card.... Outer card?

If I can get the video playing on pc as clearly as it does in camera I'd be happy

That makes sense. I think I have to go back to basics. Work out what is the external micro SD card, make sure I'm recording to that, and then do some test drives with different resolution. Because on same pc I have smooth and choppy video from different days, and I think different resolution. Only other thing I did was added the filter
I'm using the qtplayer that the device installs on the SD card. It allows viewing of GPS data.

try Registrator Viewer

the card you put in is external, if your camera has an internal card it should only record to that if you take the other card out

Hmmm now the camera has totally locked up. Buttons have no effect, I can see screen is powered but not showing any menu or images. I guess I have to wait for battery to run down then recharge it?

press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, that does a soft reset

if still no good they generally come good once the battery has run out and you power it up again

Back