G1WH stopped being powered via usb

killoverme

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I have an issue with my G1WH (only 10 months old) :(

Basically I found out that it wouldn't turn on (because the battery was 'dead') I tried replacing the battery and that didn't really solve it. The unit powers on fine with 'just battery'. However it does not run via usb.

Basically when I plug it in via usb, it auto turns on and then once loaded (says goodbye and turns off). When I power it on manually it turns on and I can record and such. However the battery indicator always shows a battery and never the plugged in symbol (even though the usb is plugged in).

The blue charge light is on when it is plugged it and i checked the voltage and power is going to the batteries (so it is being charged).

I've also tried the g1wc firmware (but there was no display, however taking a picture worked and I'm sure there is a way to record as well) [I put a supercap when testing this].

I did a visual inspection and the board seems fine...

Any help? Also is there any other g1wc firmware I could try (I tried the one at spytec).

I have also tried various g1wh firmwares and the usb connector is not loose.

try it with the PCB out of the housing and see if it still does the same, I have seen them with cracked tracks in the PCB that cause problems with the bit of flex they get once screwed down, maybe not much you could do about it of this is the case but at least it might help work out what the cause is, if it is this issue it might still be a throw away

Welcome to the forum !

I am not sure, but could it be the case if you try to swap +/- power cables going to battery and see how it works then ?

try it with the PCB out of the housing and see if it still does the same, I have seen them with cracked tracks in the PCB that cause problems with the bit of flex they get once screwed down, maybe not much you could do about it of this is the case but at least it might help work out what the cause is, if it is this issue it might still be a throw away

It's out of the housing already. If your talking about the no display. It is the firmware and not the flex (I've switched back and forth between the g1wh firmware and the g1wc and the g1wh has a display and the g1wc doesn't so its a firmware issue not the cable.

Not sure why it randomly died... I thought it might be a fuse or something, but doesn't seem like there are any and nothing else seems burned.

Welcome to the forum !

I am not sure, but could it be the case if you try to swap +/- power cables going to battery and see how it works then ?

Thanks. Not sure what you mean... reverse the polarity on the batteries to the device? That would probably fry it. I'm 100% sure the polarity is correct. It turns on via battery.... The issue is the usb power not being detected by the device.

Thanks. Not sure what you mean... reverse the polarity on the batteries to the device? That would probably fry it. I'm 100% sure the polarity is correct. It turns on via battery.... The issue is the usb power not being detected by the device.

I am not sure how charging system is built on this model. Just thought maybe you mixed polarity on the first place or factory who assembled replacement battery they printed wrong polarity sticker, or soldered a black and red wires to wrong +/- ? This could not be the case, just some of my thoughts.

I am not sure how charging system is built on this model. Just thought maybe you mixed polarity on the first place or factory who assembled replacement battery they printed wrong polarity sticker, or soldered a black and red wires to wrong +/- ? This could not be the case, just some of my thoughts.

No the polarities are correct.

So I have an issue with my G1WH (only 10 months old) :(

Basically when I plug it in via usb, it auto turns on and then once loaded (says goodbye and turns off).
Have you tried with different power sources, another power adaptor in the car or does it happen with any power source?

I've nothing much to add to this, other than to say that my G1WH has started doing exactly the same thing. Initially I thought it was the battery, so I've just fitted a replacement, but with no joy. No indication of it charging on the screen - although it does charge. Plugging it in to the USB, I see "Welcome" followed straightaway by "Goodbye" on the screen as it turns off. If I turn it on manually it works. Sounds like exactly the same symptoms, although mine was bought in February 2014 - so just over 2 years old now.

Time to look for a replacement, I think. Is the G1W 'family' of cams still the best value for money, or is there better out there now for the same budget?

I think the G1W camera 2 years ago was a lot better than any G1W you can buy today, they're all cheaper low cost versions now days

From what I read they are the same today as the older ones IF they have the same chipset. Some newer ones don't come wit the same older chipset which is preferred. Just check the posts here to see which companies still offer the good chipset as described in the review.

From what I read they are the same today as the older ones IF they have the same chipset.

that's far from the truth unfortunately, I stopped counting at 7 different versions of PCB for this product, the cheap ones have the lowest cost components and are nowhere near as good or reliable as the original

the other version with the Generalplus chipset is another step down from all of these

Hello. Same problem here. My camera is more than 2 years old. I replaced battery twice for now. I even had to replace usb port once, because original one was loose. Problem now is the same as above. I can turn it on by power button, and it works on a new battery, but when i plug usb in there is no charging icon. Any of You fixed this problem?

Back