Datakam Player for Mac

That's the real question then.
yes, it is.
I'm not a mac developer, so I dunno the way and its cost :(

Is there any bypass available ?
In case of employer-owned mac (just my case - my own boxen run linux as well as the other corporate ones), you have no legal bypass.

No, it is just a built in default security feature in Mac OSX called Gatekeeper. It is very easy to bypass.

Give me a few minutes and I will provide instructions.
The "legal bypass" in few minutes ? Quite speedy !

If anybody interested, I have root access in the shell here, at "my" mac...

The "Gatekeeper" feature in OSX is one of those things that make Macs inherently secure by forcing the user to actively participate in the decision to allow installation of software from unknown developers that might turn out to be malware but could also simply be a legitimate program such as Datakam Player.

Go to the "Apple" symbol on the upper left corner of the screen and click on it to activate the drop down menu. Then select "System Preferences".

prefs4.png

prefs5.png

You'll get this window. Click on "Security and Privacy".

prefs.jpg

Then select Mac App Store and "identified developers".
You can select "Anywhere" but for general security it's not a good practice. Better to manually allow or disallow each install.

prefs6.jpg

Now when you try to install software from an unknown developer it will ask you first. You'll get the following window.
Click "Open" and then go through the usual authentication procedure.

dashtalker.jpg

There are a few shortcuts for how to do this but this is the basic method and this is a better way to explain how Gatekeeper functions.

Last edited:
That was truly speedy !
Grear job on graphic step by step instruction !

He-he! Security settings are locked!
SecuritySettingsLocked.png

But I could see a button (there too) to allow a single run of the application installed...
After confirmation it has started! :)

Well, I'll try to play the same trick on Datakam Player...
Wow! It's repeatable!

So, when you have downloaded an "unsigned" application, you have to run it first to fail.
Then go to that System Preferences, perform tamburine dance excellently depicted by Dashmellow
and check for the prompt to allow it to run (sorry guys, I have no picture for it). Then you'll be prompted for your password, and voila you have a working app installed!
Hopefully :)

Will see a couple of days for warnings of corporate security scanner now...

PS. When you'll be copying that text to other threads, plz add my notes too!
Or the victim might be confused much...
Maybe, that's a matter of MacOS version.

He-he! Security settings are locked!
View attachment 20144

But I could see a button (there too) to allow a single run of the application installed...
After confirmation it has started! :)

Well, I'll try to play the same trick on Datakam Player...
Wow! It's repeatable!

So, when you have downloaded an "unsigned" application, you have to run it first to fail.
Then go to that System Preferences, perform tamburine dance excellently depicted by Dashmellow
and check for the prompt to allow it to run (sorry guys, I have no picture for it). Then you'll be prompted for your password, and voila you have a working app installed!
Hopefully :)

Will see a couple of days for warnings of corporate security scanner now...

PS. When you'll be copying that text to other threads, plz add my notes too!
Or the victim might be confused much...
Maybe, that's a matter of MacOS version.

Again, Macs do this for security. You need "Admin" privileges to make major System Preference changes like this.

You do that by clicking the lock on the lower left corner of the Prefs window. You can only open the lock if you have the Admin password which you will be asked to enter after you click on it.

Since it sounds like you are at a computer at work you would need to ask your IT guy to allow this and to have any corporate scanning software allow new software so that you don't have to "perform tamburine dance" each time.

admin1.png

admin2.png

Last edited:
Here is that magic button that
  1. appears only after "start to fail" attempt
  2. can allow to run/install an app anyway
  3. does not unlock/modify permission settings

AFT-refusal-allow-buttun.png

PS. It handles not all the cases :(
I still dunno why, but some apps cannot be forced to install/run this way.
In my case it was a build of GIMP (another build was installed ok this way).

Last edited:
Yeah, that .jar file is a Java archive which probably serves some sort of cross platform function for GIMP.
It's not technically an "app" but it can contain executable Java programs and libraries so probably that is why it gets triggered each time.
More and more people are disabling Java on the Mac because it has become such a serious security issue but if you need it to run an important app you can't avoid it.
Most people find that just disabling Java from running in their web browser is all they need to do.
Nevertheless, even though it may be a pain in the ass, the fact that the MAC makes you approve the .jar file each time is an example of why OSX often appears to be more secure than other platforms. (for now) I think because of this issue some changes were made to the most recent "El Capitan" version of OSX regarding Java security.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...s-a-dangerous-turn-for-the-worse-experts-say/

http://www.eweek.com/security/java-primary-cause-of-91-percent-of-attacks-cisco.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix/

Last edited:
that .jar file is a Java archive which probably serves some sort of cross platform function for GIMP
nope :)
It's a cross-platform dashcam firmware bundler found literraly here :)
GIMP (in two flavours) was the case that (1) refused to install anyway and (2) could be made to work via this button (no picture).

El Capitan
I use 10.10.5 ("Yosemite"), not 10.11 (due to some incompatibilities with corp software).

But Java is an evil, you're right definitely!

Last edited:
nope :)
It's a cross-platform dashcam firmware bundler found literraly here :)
GIMP (in two flavours) was the case that (1) refused to install anyway and (2) could be made to work via this button (no picture).

I use 10.10.5 ("Yosemite"), not 10.11 (due to some incompatibilities with corp software).

But Java is an evil, you're right definitely!

Ah, I see. I was just guessing when I said GIMP since it was what you mentioned.

I think Yosemite has some Java security tweaks too. Actually, Apple did an emergency security update too that worked on some Java issues going back to Snow Leopard, I think.

I think Yosemite has some Java security tweaks too.
In my case, security is somehow controlled by common sense (and mandatory corp software, of course) by installing things from somehow known sources :)

In my case, security is somehow controlled by common sense (and mandatory corp software, of course) by installing things from somehow known sources :)

I agree with you! Most security really does come down to common sense. The problem I see everywhere is that when it comes to computers most people have no common sense. Most people don't even seem to have a clue. I have a few friends who always call me for advice about their computers and then they ignore everything I tell them and call me again weeks later for help with some terrible malware issue.

I agree with you! Most security really does come down to common sense. The problem I see everywhere is that when it comes to computers most people have no common sense. Most people don't even seem to have a clue. I have a few friends who always call be for advice about their computers and then they ignore everything I tell them and call me again weeks later for help with some terrible malware issue.

I feel like we know the same people

Back