[Big News]Original Xiaomi Yi 1080P Car WiFi DVR is coming!!!!

We all expect this amazing dashcam. month, maybe:)
I am very curious to find where is the amazing part of this dashcam.
Because its name is Xiaomi (or Xiaoyi?)? Not enough, video samples must prove this.

Camera colors are not great, golden color? White borders?
Camera shape have nothing revolutionary. It is even bigger than... normal Xiaomi camera.
Mount system?

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
Yes, companies with big potential jumping on a new domain with "left step" (in my opinion) by creating a product in a closed room by people (designers) which have nothing to do with the new domain, with real life, driving cars with different dashcams just to understand first what is a dashcam.
I expect from big companies to enter on the market with something revolutionary, but seems that Xiaomi selling strategy is based only on the Xiaomi brand name and of course small prices. . This will not last forever, they don't even have a name for the cameras.

What is the name of Xiaomi dashcam?
Xiaomi? Xiaoyi? Xiaomi Yi? Xiaomi Yi Smart?

enjoy,
Mtz

Definitely interested in the product to try it out and see how's the video quality is compared to what I am currently using (A118C and Mini 0806)

The video quality don't seem to be too great at this moment, but might be able to be improved over firmware(?)...

The name for the dashcam I think is Xiaoyi, same as the action cam.

Even in the title is used Xiaomi and in most places I saw it as Xiaomi.

enjoy,
Mtz

On paper it looks like it has the potential to be a winner.... I dont see any other camera has a 3 um pixel sensor with F1.8 lens. But of course that depends on how good the optics is.

Unfortunately it is using another mounting system so we cant use the gopro accessories with it.... but given that it is only 74g I think the mount should be strong enough to hold it still. I am not too worry about the offset like Jokiin suggested.

The 2 video demo... 1st night demo had a lot of glare and that killed it. The 2nd demo was only 720p but when I compare it to the other dashcam set to 720p on youtube I dont see a lot of difference tho.... maybe I missed something?

btw.... the official name I think is "Xiaoyi smart dashcam".... translating directly from Chinese.

I purchased one on Taobao..... it is supposed to shipped out on the 20th to the seller. Hopefully I will have it some time in Feb :p

common to get vibration in the video when setup like this
Physics tell me the vibration is more likely coming from a heavy object at the end of the articulate arm... The heavier the object is, the larger the force it will create for the arm to hold it still.

The offset might add a rotational axis to the vibration, but I doubt it would be as bad as a heavier dash cam.

Also, if it is going to be a problem, I bet it would also show in the demo taken in the urban area, which I didn't see much in the video.... Definitely not worse than my gopro :p

Reactions: Mtz
I am very curious to find where is the amazing part of this dashcam.
Because its name is Xiaomi (or Xiaoyi?)? Not enough, video samples must prove this.

Camera colors are not great, golden color? White borders?
Camera shape have nothing revolutionary. It is even bigger than... normal Xiaomi camera.
Mount system?

enjoy,
Mtz
Hi Mtz, the name is yi dashcam you can call that. Golden and space gray colors to choose from
Yep.. a bit bigger than action cam..
For raw files (not compressed) at 1080p/60fps:
pretty sharp and clear at night!
Support system is by suction cup

The word raw is not correct used by you in YouTube title.
A raw file is the one which is coming directly from the card without any modification made by the user and which can be downloaded by others to check its properties to see if is really an original untouched video.
YouTube is reencoding all videos so they are not raw anymore.
You can use something like original or untouched video.

If you want to use the raw word in your YouTube title you need to offer the download link to the original, untouched file. This means the length of the file must be done only by the start and stop functions of the camera.
Some people even when cutting a file is reencoding it.

Usually I don't watch videos which want to show only the quality of a recording but it is containing some text or subtitles over video, because this means for me the video was edited so the original quality is affected.

enjoy,
Mtz

PS: is nice to see that "Sami Luo is back again", this is making me thinking to some Bruce Lee movies. ;-)

Last edited:
The word raw is not correct used by you in YouTube title.
A raw file is the one which is coming directly from the card without any modification made by the user and which can be downloaded by others to check its properties to see if is really an original untouched video.
YouTube is reencoding all videos so they are not raw anymore.
You can use something like original or untouched video.

If you want to use the raw word in your YouTube title you need to offer the download link to the original, untouched file. This means the length of the file must be done only by the start and stop functions of the camera.
Some people even when cutting a file is reencoding it.

Usually I don't watch videos which want to show only the quality of a recording but it is containing some text or subtitles over video, because this means for me the video was edited so the original quality is affected.

enjoy,
Mtz

PS: is nice to see that "Sami Luo is back again", this is making me thinking to some Bruce Lee movies. ;-)
yeah sure i will provide a link to mega.nz

If your YouTube video was cut by you is not a problem to offer the uncut version for download which means the really original file.

Please post the info of an original Yi video from Mediainfo, a program which is analyzing the properties of video files.

enjoy,
Mtz

If your YouTube video was cut by you is not a problem to offer the uncut version for download which means the really original file.

Please post the info of an original Yi video from Mediainfo, a program which is analyzing the properties of video files.

enjoy,
Mtz
ah that youtube link didnt edit.. just raw file from yi dash cam directly.

Reactions: Mtz
This camera looks pretty fine - we get about 10 emails a week of similar design and spec cameras. How they have ended up with a bigger camera than an action camera with the same specifications is an achievement in itself and actually shows a lot about their thought and dedication to this product - zero.

This camera appeals to people who want to gamble with their dashcam footage and that's fine, as @jokiin always states, 'you pay as much as you are willing to loose', and I just hope these cameras don't fail when you most need them.

No doubt people will come on here complaining about the quality and service and official development like they have with the xiaomi camera but please remember how much you paid before you do.

As I wrote their cameras sales are based just on Xiaomi name and low price. They think this is all they need. Until now this was working, they sold a lot of Yi action cameras. Unfortunately they will sell a lot of dashcams for people which never think to have a dashcam and that people will think that all dashcams should be big, gold color and with suction cup.
Or maybe just after this they will realize that a dashcam should be as invisible as possible and start registering on our forum and searching for the right cam. ;)
But on this forum I am interested about experienced users feedback which they already know what to expect from a dashcam. Maybe I will get one to see how is working their chipset.
How they have ended up with a bigger camera than an action camera with the same specifications is an achievement in itself and actually shows a lot about their thought and dedication to this product - zero.
Ohhh, right now I understood why they didn't put a screen on the action camera: the result could be a VHS Camera size. :p

Xiaomi Yi LCD Screen Edition.jpg

enjoy,
Mtz

Isn't it a Chinese thing though were they want them to obviously stand out to try and stop people jumping on their cars in the first place?

Since this is not Ambarella, custom firmware will not.
Also, there will be no script, and it is a sad fact.
Time-stamp more like a picture of a processor Novatek.
Whom mysterious A12 and is likely....

I apologize for machine translation...

I totally agree @Falsificator - I think the easy customization of the Yi was what made it so popular with a lot of people as you can see from the threads on here :)

This camera looks pretty fine - we get about 10 emails a week of similar design and spec cameras. How they have ended up with a bigger camera than an action camera with the same specifications is an achievement in itself and actually shows a lot about their thought and dedication to this product - zero..

The reason why it is bigger is probably because of the larger sensor they put in this camera. Since you are listed as a retailer can you tell me which one of the dashcam that you sell has a 3um pixel sensors on it and what is the sensor size on them? I checked the mini806 has a 2um pixel sensor. In case you didnt realize the camera body is directly related to the sensor size to accommodate the necessary size of the optics and electronics..... If you have any doubt, just look at the size of a full frame dslr VS a APS-C camera.

[QUOTE="Ohhh, right now I understood why they didn't put a screen on the action camera: the result could be a VHS Camera size. :p[/QUOTE]

And they have a 2.7" screen on the back of this camera.... why so ignorant?
Btw Mtz, your mini806, is actually bigger in size, has a smaller pixel size sensor, and a smaller screen on it..... in case you didnt check the numbers

I am just amaze with the attitude of the members in this forum.... I understand some may retailer/manufacturer want to bash a new player down but just talking trash on a new product that you never seen before when you cant prove that your product, even on paper, is better? wow

Last edited:
Back