DR750LW low battery protection.

Derek Sinclair

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks. I just received my blackvue dr750lw and I have been researching the install options before installing the unit.
My problem is that there is a plethora of misinformation out there about built in vehicle battery protection, built in GPS and other things. I have the external gps with mine, although blackvue usa site says GPS is built in and that a power magic pro is needed in order to take advantage of the "built in" vehicle battery protection, although that would be absolutely pointless.

I'm looking for a definitive answer as to the following.

1. Do I need a power magic pro?
2. Can I just cut the cigarette lighter adapter power cable shipped with the camera and hardwire it to constant 12v and ground, or do I need a 3 wire cable where the third wire is attached to switched 12v?

I plan on using the overhead console in my 2013 mercedes c300 to wire the unit in as long as I don't need a power magic pro.

I'm also looking forward to upping the bit rate with some of the firmware I see here in these forums.

Glad to be here and I look forward to getting some answers as blackvue don't seem to be able to provide very reliable information either online or in their manual supplied with the unit.

Last edited:
The only car I wouldn't (and didn't) put PMP on is my Tesla because the main battery that can power my house for two weeks charges the 12v battery that the 750 dashcam is connected to. The 750 does not have GPS built in. It's an accessory that plugs into it. The 650 does have a built in GPS. So yes I'd use a PMP on your car and buy a GPS for your 750. All this is assuming you want recording when parked. If not then you don't need PMP but need to wire it to the switched circuit, not always on.

Thanks. I have a gps unit. It came with my 750.

I'm disappointed to hear that I need a PMP when one of the reasons I bought this unit is because it had battery low protection built in and was billed as not needing a PMP.

I'm disappointed to hear that I need a PMP when one of the reasons I bought this unit is because it had battery low protection built in and was billed as not needing a PMP.

You don't need the PMP for DR750. Yes, it was bulit in. All you need it the wiring kit.

dr750_wiring_kit.jpg

Thanks. I got the wiring kit and I'm having it installed this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Hello all. This is my first post.

I just bought a DR750LW-2ch (has not arrived yet) and thought I made a mistake buying a Power Magic Pro for it after reading in a few places that this camera has built-in power drain protection.

But the manual I found elsewhere on this site says on page 16:
"It is necessary to use Power Magic (the Battery Discharge Prevention Device) to record video while the car is parked."

Hello all. This is my first post.

I just bought a DR750LW-2ch (has not arrived yet) and thought I made a mistake buying a Power Magic Pro for it after reading in a few places that this camera has built-in power drain protection.

But the manual I found elsewhere on this site says on page 16:
"It is necessary to use Power Magic (the Battery Discharge Prevention Device) to record video while the car is parked."

Yes, this cam has built in power drain protection. I had been using it for more than a year now hardwired and so far I have not facing any issue. This is maybe I parked my car maximum of 8 hour a day and sometimes (very less maybe once a week) 24 hour. It had not drain off my car battery. It cuts off. I set it to 11.8V earlier but about 3 months back I change to 12V.

Thank you

Thanks for the reply. Reading further in that 750 manual, I see on page 30 there is the documentation for the power configuration screen and to make matters more confusing it says:

It is necessary to use Power Magic (the Battery Discharge Prevention Device) to configure the power settings.

See this image:

image.png

I asked Blackvue via email what the deal is with this... Is it or is it not needed, but they are on holidays so the answer will be delayed.

Reading the page 16 comment (about needing the PMP) it makes me think that perhaps the discharge protection may be broken/unreliable on the 750. In other words, the PMP is a workaround.

But you say it's working for you, so either you got a good one or the PMP is not needed (anymore)...... ????

But then the comment on page 30 makes no sense to me. It seems to be saying the 750 settings affect the PMP but how can the 750 know the PMP is there?

By the way, does anyone know the proper fuse amperage for this camera? I want to order some add-a-fuse and it looks like it comes with various fuse amps.

But you say it's working for you, so either you got a good one or the PMP is not needed (anymore)...... ????

I didn't use any PMP.

By the way, does anyone know the proper fuse amperage for this camera? I want to order some add-a-fuse and it looks like it comes with various fuse amps

I use 5amp.

Back