What is the purpose of the side button on the M10 waterproof case?

tenthousandfeet

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been messing around with my new SJCAM M10 for a few weeks, and there's something that has been confusing me...

Just what is the purpose of the menu button on the side of the waterproof case? Sure, it allows you to open the menu when you've got the camera in the case. BUT if you actually want to change any menu options, you have to take the camera out of the case to use the scroll buttons. Without buttons on the case to use the scroll buttons, just what is the purpose of the waterproof case menu button?

I noticed that the menu button is actually right beside the camera's microphone, so I have actually removed the side button from the case (simply by popping off the clip that holds the button in place) to see if it makes the sound less muffled.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess the designers of the case weren't sure what the button is for .
I'm hopefully getting mine in this week. I really liked my sj4000 before accidentally popped the case open in the ocean, and I prefer the design of this model.
I'm looking forward to see if the sound is improved after removing the battery.

I have already raised this question earlier, and I am guessing it is due to poor design oversight from the manufacturer. Pretty useless waterproof case and they should release another new design with 3 buttons on the side.

First test with the button removed showed a marginal improvement in sound quality. Whereas the camera in the full case was about 20% quality, removing the button brought it up to a subjective 30 or 40%. I might try drilling it out so the hole is the same size as the button boss, because right now the hole is only about 1/16 inch dia and not aligned with the microphone.

Removing the button AND drilling the plastic boss out to full size made a massive improvement in sound quality. Sticking with the subjective scale, it sounds now more like 80-90% quality. I haven't done any testing with no case, but I don't think it would be much better than it is now.

It's not waterproof for submersion any more, but I'm not concerned about rain getting in there. Since the boss creates a tunnel with an overhang, the camera would have to be traveling sideways in a heavy downpour to get any moisture inside. I figure I could still reinstall the button for full waterproofing, if I needed to.

Attachments

• 20150330_150225.jpg
    20150330_150225.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 17
I believe that the Menu button on the WIFI version of the M10 is used to toggle the WIFI mode. Which can be useful if the camera is in the case and you want to change settings without removing it from the case.

They have since released an updated version of the case that has 3 buttons on the side.
I received mine last week.

They also made the buttons a bit larger.

Making adjustments while in my kayak will be much easier this summer.

Attachments

• DSC_0686RC.JPG
    DSC_0686RC.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 10
They have since released an updated version of the case that has 3 buttons on the side.
I received mine last week.

They also made the buttons a bit larger.

Making adjustments while in my kayak will be much easier this summer.

Yes, thanks for confirming. Here is a link to the new M10 series case

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D M10 1