What is the longest recording time you have taken with a Xiaomi Yi?

eCamdash

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Reading most tech review about Xiaomi Yi;
Using just the standard battery, you can record for 1hr+.

But if you plug it to a power source(usb charger/powerbank), do not use the waterproof casing(to help ventilate the heat) and use 64Gb memory card.

What is the longest recording time, before it over heats or cause an error?

What are the recording settings you used, 1080p/720p?

What is the file size? Some say there is a file size limit of 2Gb or 4Gb. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited:
Reading most tech review of Xiaomi Yi;
Using just the standard battery, you can record for 1hr+.

But if you plug it to a power source(usb charger/powerbank), do not use the waterproof casing(to help ventilate the heat) and use 64Gb memory card.

What is the longest recording time, before it over heats or cause an error?

What are the recording settings you used, 1080p/720p?

What is the file size? Some say there is a file size limit of 2Gb or 4Gb. Can someone confirm this?
I didn't try to record with powerbank - but with two batteries I had more than 2 hours of video recording (1080p 60fps) with a very short break (maybe one or two minutes to replace battery). And I didn't see any heating (that was in summer so the weather was hot).
Camera splits recording to a 2GB files. But there is not any missed frames so you can join all files on the PC without any problems

I didn't try to record with powerbank - but with two batteries I had more than 2 hours of video recording (1080p 60fps) with a very short break (maybe one or two minutes to replace battery). And I didn't see any heating (that was in summer so the weather was hot).
Camera splits recording to a 2GB files. But there is not any missed frames so you can join all files on the PC without any problems

Oh. That's great. I thought that it will stop the recording.

Living in a tropical country. It is hot and humid. Temperatures is around 30ºC/86ºF, if in summer it will reach as high as 35ºC/95ºF. Most often when under the sun, most electronics I used will either show a warning sign of overheating or stops working until it cools down. That is one of my concerns.

Googling, average temp in Kiev, Ukraine is 4ºC/39ºF.
Were you in Ukraine when you tested it?

Googling, average temp in Kiev, Ukraine is 4ºC/39ºF.
Were you in Ukraine when you tested it?

Yes, I was in Ukraine. And in summer during daytime we have average temperature about 25-30ºC - so it's not so hot as in tropics but also quite warm. So I think camera should work without overheating in your country

I will try the long recordings, once I get my hands on a Xiaomi Yi.
Thanks Al_Chemist.

I have had a pair on usb power run for about six hours taking intermittent videos (1, ten second video, once a minute). I remove the batteries when I run in this configuration. That helps cut down on excess heat.

Back