GITUP GIT2 playing mp4 videos

shredder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recenty got GIT2 Pro and went for test ride on mountian bike the other day taking videos at various points using a range of different res, fps, angles etc. Back home I uploaded then to PC to check out their differences. What I thought would be a simple process turned out to be frustrating to get to work.

First off I tried the VLC player. This is my usual media player and never had any problems with it. The GIT2 videos all looked awful - breakup, jerky, too slow. Updated VLC to latest - still the same.

Tried some other freeware players - same result. Began to wonder if mp4 files were bad so re-charged cam and looked at footage on builtin lcd. All played smoothly so pointed to problem with my PC/software. Admittedly the PC I was testing on was an old XP Pro P4 2.6Ghz but it had plenty of ram and reasonable ATI Radeon graphics card plus it never had problems playing videos before.

Some web research suggested the problem was almsot certainly to do with codecs. After some web research and more experimenting and testing I found a working setup using K-LIte Codec with Media Player Classic.
I am not clear why this combination works while all others I tried failed but anyway I offer it up as a solution if anyone else has same problem. Just be aware that messing with codecs can I am told have bad results with Windows systems.

On a side note I see when files are reviewed in cam it shows the res/fps used for recording. I assume comes from some header/meta code at start of mp4 file. Are there any recommeded windows utils that display this header data? (once transferred to PC they all just look like same mp4 files in file browsers)

Thanks

On a side note I see when files are reviewed in cam it shows the res/fps used for recording. I assume comes from some header/meta code at start of mp4 file. Are there any recommeded windows utils that display this header data? (once transferred to PC they all just look like same mp4 files in file browsers)

Thanks
Right click, properties, details - gives the basic details for both video and photo files.

That is a rather old spec for a PC, bit surprising it knew how to play an mp4 file at all without the help of K-Lite!

@Nigel. RMB properties just shows basic file size info (on XP PRO SP3).
What I am after is a tool which lists the Codec info from the mp4 files so I can see a nice list showing what settings each recording was made with. I can get header info on individual files using something like the Tools option in VLC but ideally I want a tool where I dont have to keep clicking individual files to find out the info.
Yes its an old PC but it has played plenty of mp4 vids before. Pretty sure its a software issue not hardware limit.

Yes its an old PC but it has played plenty of mp4 vids before. Pretty sure its a software issue not hardware limit.

these cameras produce much larger files than the files you've maybe played in the past, 10 minutes of video can be 1GB or greater, resolutions higher than 1080p can also be a challenge for an older PC or video card, there are lots of third party apps that can give more detail about the files, this kind of thing http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ it might not just be a codec issue though, high bitrate and larger aspect ratios can be a struggle on old hardware/software

@Nigel. RMB properties just shows basic file size info (on XP PRO SP3).
What I am after is a tool which lists the Codec info from the mp4 files so I can see a nice list showing what settings each recording was made with. I can get header info on individual files using something like the Tools option in VLC but ideally I want a tool where I dont have to keep clicking individual files to find out the info.
If you have Registry Viewer, it can give you the properties of every file in a group in one big list. I wouldn't bother installing it just for that feature though.
I think you said it is working now so not an issue. However on a PC that old, it is probably using the processor to decode the video so it will struggle to get 1080P60 as smooth as if you played it back on the camera through the HDMI connection. A more modern computer will have hardware decoding for H264 encoded video built into even a basic graphics chip so can play it perfectly smoothly using zero processor power.

You might also find your TV can play it direct if it has a USB socket to plug a card reader into.

i don't know about xp but in win7 you can enable additional columns for things like resolution, fps, etc directly in windows explorer when it recognizes that there's media in the directory. i'd take a screenshot but i'm on a win10 pc right now.

The best tool to read video information is Mediainfo.
Media Player Home Cinema is not using any codec, this is the player I am using from many years and I will not change it.

I hope you can install all codecs even this will not help you for better viewing because of too slow PC. Video card doesn't matter too much, but the PC processor.

enjoy,
Mtz

VLC is bad to play any 60fps,
Media Player Classic does with a good quality but it use much more cpu then
SMplayer

(may be you would have to set some options and filters to use less CPU)

anyway, I 'm not sure that it's possible to play a 1080p60fps full quality with a P4 2.6Ghz

My CPU usage when playing 60 fps video - only 8%. But playback is smooth because integrated video chipset Intel HD graphics have hardware video decoder.
So, you need to upgrade you computer to have smooth video playback. Any modern CPU with integrated or external video card is able to decode heavy FullHD, and tablets and smartphones are able too.

Admittedly the PC I was testing on was an old XP Pro P4 2.6Ghz but it had plenty of ram and reasonable ATI Radeon graphics card plus it never had problems playing videos before
Pentium 4 2.6 ghz is launched in 2002 year! It is single 32bit core, have no HyperThreading, no integrated HD video chip. The modern codecs (such as h.264) requires special hardware decoder instead of CPU power.

Back