Flat glass lens underwater housing

GITNB

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

i have read about the problem with GoPro-Cameras and using the original housing under water
by loosing sharpness.

Is it the same issue with the Git2 Housing?

If yes, is it possible to buy a GoPro underwater-Housing with a flat lens
and to use it with the Git2?

The other question is, if its also possible to use lenses like that http://www.backscatter.com/sku/ff-mm.lasso
with the Git2.

Many thanks in advance and Greetings!

Andre

The Git2 housing is quite good, if you keep it clean then it doesn't normally cause problems, but it is not designed to take GoPro filters.

You can use the Git2 in a GoPro housing, fits perfectly, and then use GoPro filters.

If you use a GoPro housing and GoPro filters. You may find that because the Git2 is quite wide angle, some filters will cause dark corners to 4:3 photos and videos but they will normally be fine for 16:9 photos and video unless you stack too many filters.

A +15 close up lens gets you in focus from around 10cm, beyond I guess 20cm will be out of focus, maybe not ideal unless you are actually filming small things and have some artificial lighting. If you don't know what you are doing then I suggest getting some cheap filters for a play and then buy a good quality one once you know what you want.

Note that I haven't actually used filters on the Git2 underwater, only in air.

A +15 close up lens gets you in focus from around 10cm, beyond I guess 20cm will be out of focus, maybe not ideal unless you are actually filming small things and have some artificial lighting. If you don't know what you are doing then I suggest getting some cheap filters for a play and then buy a good quality one once you know what you want.

Thanks for your quick response, but thats excatly, what I want to do.
Especially little seahorses (But only Videos, not Photos).

I think light will be there enough, because I can borrow two of these from a friend of mine.

What I ment by having problems with the sharpness, you can see here:

So do you know, if its the same issue with the Git2?

OK, +15 might be about right then, but the more you have the more difficult it is to get it in focus. The screen isn't much use for checking focus as it's too small so you have to do it by keeping within the DOF based on distance and the DOF reduces with the strength of the close focus lens. The screen is very useful for framing.

This terrestrial clip starts off at +3 and ends at +13 I think:

I took this video on the Git1:

Light might not be a problem for sea horses, you may want the natural light behind and coming thorough them, the problem with light is when you get so close that you put the target under a big shadow.

I've never noticed a focus issue with the Git2 in it's own waterproof case, it does have a flat glass "lens" in it.

@Mtz posted a video with some underwater footage, looked very sharp

Lol love the Disclaimer above the video. I wonder what happened that prompted him to put that text there :D

The Git2 housing is quite good, if you keep it clean then it doesn't normally cause problems, but it is not designed to take GoPro filters.

You can use the Git2 in a GoPro housing, fits perfectly, and then use GoPro filters.

If you use a GoPro housing and GoPro filters. You may find that because the Git2 is quite wide angle, some filters will cause dark corners to 4:3 photos and videos but they will normally be fine for 16:9 photos and video unless you stack too many filters.

In myYi I found I can use filter adapters that fit the Gopro 40 meter case! My Yi is using the square lens assy. case. There are only a few mm difference easily covered by gentle setscrew tightening. Vignetting occurs (dark corners) with 52 mm filters with Yi on 155 degree setting not with lens rectification "on" with 120 degrees. 58 mm filter yields no vignetting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

i have read about the problem with GoPro-Cameras and using the original housing under water
by loosing sharpness.

Is it the same issue with the Git2 Housing?

If yes, is it possible to buy a GoPro underwater-Housing with a flat lens
and to use it with the Git2?

The other question is, if its also possible to use lenses like that http://www.backscatter.com/sku/ff-mm.lasso
with the Git2.

Many thanks in advance and Greetings!

Andre
I believe the Hero 3+1/2 and 4 , 40 meter case has a flat lens!

Bringing light is best, but magenta filter for green water and red for deep without lights!

OK, +15 might be about right then, but the more you have the more difficult it is to get it in focus. The screen isn't much use for checking focus as it's too small so you have to do it by keeping within the DOF based on distance and the DOF reduces with the strength of the close focus lens. The screen is very useful for framing.

Light might not be a problem for sea horses, you may want the natural light behind and coming thorough them, the problem with light is when you get so close that you put the target under a big shadow.

I've never noticed a focus issue with the Git2 in it's own waterproof case, it does have a flat glass "lens" in it.
Owners of the Sony x1000 4k cam have complaints that images are blurred without the flat lens of the optional 197' extra door.

I try to aim one light behind the subject fish and the other in front. But, backscattering may always be a problem.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Git2 0