Bricked 0803, Won't Start Help??

Uhm this is strange. Never experiences these issues. At this state you could also try "EraseNand" before flashing the firmware.. Maybe that helps

Oh and also get a 0805 .elf firmware and try this one. Maybe you got an 0805 :D

http://dc.p-mc.eu/0805/firmware
I disabled the firmware page a few month ago cause some firmwares seemed to be faulty and I couldnt check which ones. But I reenabled it for you, go get the .elf :D

Ok. So I performed the following;
  1. EraseNand and got confirmation that "AMBA_USB_EraseFlash Done[0]!! "
  2. Used amboot_hal_kernel_romfs_dsp_release.elf file located in the 7z file and DownLoad using DirectUSB and OTG plus M-M.
  3. I didn't get a complete, but the green bar went all the way to the end whilst "Wait firmware programming..."
  4. After a minute I disconnected from the computer.
  5. I plugged into USB power cable and got a BLUE light. This was a change from everything I had seen before.
  6. Held the power button in for approx 20 seconds and light changed to red
  7. Pressed power button once and after new car logo screen prompts me to perform a Firmware Update? Y/N
  8. Pressed Y and OK went to processing.....
  9. After about 10 seconds "Firmware update success! OK"
  10. Pressed OK and turned itself off, red light.
  11. Press Power button, solid blue but no screen activity
I've now performed this several times so I could write it all up but cannot get it to go beyond blue light on/no screen.

I am presuming I do have an 0805 so perhaps I'd better switch to the 0805 thread to continue my discoveries..... Thanks for your help. I know you don't have an 0805 but if you've seen this with an 0803 perhaps you can still suggests some next steps.

Cheers Tobi@s. I owe you for getting me at least this far!

Uhm you accepted the firmware update after being able to boot again? After flashing 0805 firmware via DirectUSB? Didn't you mention that you copied 0803 firmware to internal and external? You probably flashed back to 0803 firmware again after that step?

Ok. Good News ish. I realise this is for an 0803 but I thought I'd post it for others.

I tried all the above again but with a different .elf version. Mini0805_20141101\amboot_hal_kernel_romfs_dsp_release.elf

When it booted I chose not to do the firmware upgrade and it went straight into camera mode; i.e. working.

So I went through the menus. It doesn't recognise 2 cards but as I had previously screwed it up by copying firmware.bin to the internal card I thought I'd format the card to clear it. I then went through all the other settings to make them correct.

I then powered off and powered back on. BINGO.

So I feel I do have an 0805 but what was screwing me up was the firmware update was getting driven by the firmware.bin i had incorrectly written to the internal memory.

I just need a 2 card version now.

Yes Tobi@s as I was explaining above you had guessed it too! :)

Of course though.. how do I apply a firmware.bin to a double card dashcam which currently only recognises 1 card.... Does it poll all hardware looking for firmware.bin anywhere regardless of previous software?

if you put single card firmware on a double card version you won't see the internal card, only the external one

Exactly, just flash a 0805 dual card firmware now and you are done (and dont forget to delete the 0803 firmware from internal memory afterwards)

OK. Recovered to version 20141125 V1.0. It is the only one I found with 2 card selection and seems to be in all probability exactly what I started with.

Thanks for your help, consideration and guidance.

I have been through every available firmware on Tobi@s page and on the firmware 0805 have written up my conclusions here

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/mini0805-firmware-11-26-2014.8481/

Cheers

I know this is an old thread, but rather than create a new one...failed mini 0803, using OTG and USB A to USB A cable. I have disabled device driver signing on Windows 10, I plug the camera in and immediately get "Unknown USB Device. Device Descriptor request failed". I try to manually update with driver using the Direct USB Ambrella Evaluation Board 1.2.3 in the Direct USB Driver folder and then I get "The folder you specified doesn't contain a valid set up file...."

Checking the USB Info it gives a DEVICE ID of VID_0000&PID_02 which doesn't look anything like the device ID inside the .inf file...

Does anyone know if this means my OTG cable isn't working correctly or b) My device is so bricked there is no change of recovery...

Really don't want to go and buy another one, if a little bit of effort can recover this one....

I know this is an old thread, but rather than create a new one...failed mini 0803, using OTG and USB A to USB A cable. I have disabled device driver signing on Windows 10, I plug the camera in and immediately get "Unknown USB Device. Device Descriptor request failed". I try to manually update with driver using the Direct USB Ambrella Evaluation Board 1.2.3 in the Direct USB Driver folder and then I get "The folder you specified doesn't contain a valid set up file...."

Checking the USB Info it gives a DEVICE ID of VID_0000&PID_02 which doesn't look anything like the device ID inside the .inf file...

Does anyone know if this means my OTG cable isn't working correctly or b) My device is so bricked there is no change of recovery...

Really don't want to go and buy another one, if a little bit of effort can recover this one....

As others comforted me, you have probably not bricked the device.

Start on Page 5 of this thread. I had similar USB problems to start with (with my 805!!!) and continued to use the DirectUSB method as recommended by Tobi@s. I needed a different Ambarella A7 file as using an 0805. You may have a different version too the one recommended.

You should get there eventually. Set aside plenty of time as if you apply the wrong firmware upgrade like I did several times you may need to start from DirectUSB again.

Thank you, I've been working through thread before asking question. When I plug into mini 0803 by standard USB to micro USB lead without using OTG cable, I get exactly the same response from computer. Does this possibly mean my OTG cable might not be (it's from a Samsung Galaxy so I'm pretty sure it works as an OTG)...

Just going round in circles here.....

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm running into constant roadblocks. It all started with unresponsive red light on my 0803. I bought a OTG USB cable and a male-male adapter. Plugged it into my computer and got the red light, but kept getting "Found 0 AMBA devices" error. I realized I downloaded the exe instead of the 7z, so I went back and got that instead. Then I unplugged my camera and replugged it back in, but this time I get no red light. Instead I get a message on my computer saying

YgDCU21.png

When I go into the Device Manager and click the "Unknown Device" I see this

d9isUVm.png

From here, I go to the Driver tab, click Update Driver, Browse My Computer, and point to to the unzipped folder containing "Ambarella_Evaluation_Board_1.2.3.0.inf"

TKSqdwt.png

If I click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" then click "Have disk" I get this

yf2CmSu.png

Tried the same thing on my 32bit computer, and got the same exact error message except it said "32bit" instead of "x64"

Happens with both an OTG cable and a regular cable. Don't know what else to do and would appreciate any help possible.

Just checked the camera in a USB wall plug, and not even getting a red light there. Have I actually bricked my camera?

EDIT: I added the .inf file through the Device Manager's "Add Legacy Hardware" option, but I still cant get the computer to recognize the camera. The Device Manager now shows both the Ambarella item and the Unknown device

@Tobi@s , maybe you can help?

EDIT2: Just tried again. The red light now comes on again, but the rest of it is the same. Windows just shows an unknown device, I can't get it to use the Ambarella inf or get DirectUSB to see the camera.

Last edited:
hi all,

sent a message to Tobias but just in case someone else can help....

how do I get the .elf file from the bin? everything I tried cant extract the bin

I bricked the 0803 as I always believed it was an 0805 !!

thanks for any help.

rob

ok thanks.. do you remember which one you used as when i download all i see is bin files.. unless im missing the obvious.

He only has 4 elf files there and the rest are bin files for different firmware versions. I just started a download on all four of the elf files and got an elf for each. Are you sure you picked an elf file to download?
The one you need will depend on the camera configuration you have, i.e GPS+1 card or GPS +2 card (external + internal). There are two for each (just different dates / firmware versions) but one of the "GPS+ 1 card" files has a bug as noted in the description.

hi all,

appears my problem was internet explorer telling me lies and causing all sorts of file download issues.. I used chrome and could get the elf file instantly.

I am now at this stage... from someone elses screen shot earlier in the thread I saw 50 minutes !!!

How long does/should the elf file loading take ?

Im currently at this stage :

elf upload.JPG

Back