IMX206 vs IMX078 Totally Confused

Nathyn Masters

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SJ4000, SJ5000x Elite
I was under the impression the IMX078 was the new, better sensor, but is the IMX206 or IMX078 better? Which is it? I'm totally confused.

-Nate

I was under the impression the IMX078 was the new, better sensor, but is the IMX206 or IMX078 better? Which is it? I'm totally confused.

-Nate
IMX 078 12MP sensor, launched February 25, 2011 is found in the SJ5000X Elite.
IMX 206 16MP sensor, launched December 21, 2013 is found in the Gitup Git2.

Of course the rest of the camera has a lot of effect on the result, and it depends a bit on the conditions, it is more difficult for a 16MP sensor to do well in low light than a 12MP sensor of the same size.

IMX 078 12MP sensor, launched February 25, 2011 is found in the SJ5000X Elite.
IMX 206 16MP sensor, launched December 21, 2013 is found in the Gitup Git2.

Of course the rest of the camera has a lot of effect on the result, and it depends a bit on the conditions, it is more difficult for a 16MP sensor to do well in low light than a 12MP sensor of the same size.

Ah, okay. And low light is big deal with me. The images I'm seeing from the M20 and the Git2 are awesome, but I haven't seen the lowlight.

-Nate

Ah, okay. And low light is big deal with me. The images I'm seeing from the M20 and the Git2 are awesome, but I haven't seen the lowlight.

-Nate

rather than trying to have one size fits all you'd do better to have a camera specifically for low light stuff and another for the regular stuff

rather than trying to have one size fits all you'd do better to have a camera specifically for low light stuff and another for the regular stuff

Good idea, but I use these as A and B cameras so they have to match up.

-Nate

well in that case you need 2 of each ;) A and B low light model, A and B regular model (nobody said your hobby was cheap)

LOL, I could just buy a Samsung NX500 at that rate, or at least a GoPro Black.

-Nate

but wouldn't you still need 2 though?

Nope, I could match the GoPro to the SJCam in post, it wouldn't be too hard at all. I could also match the Samsung to them also. After the SJ5000x 1.2.4 upgrade I can match my Sony Nex-F3 up with it without even doing a lot of color correction. Even matching the SJ8000 up isn't a big issue, but whatever gets the best image is usually the A cam. So now it's Nex-F3 as camera A. SJ5000x is B and SJ8000 is C. I do have a shoot coming up where I'm using the SJCam as the A. camera. I'm thinking about buying another SJ5000x or saving for a GoPro. SJ9000 is in the running too and looking pretty good.

-Nate

Other action cameras. (Not real SJCam cameras).

Nope, I could match the GoPro to the SJCam in post, it wouldn't be too hard at all. I could also match the Samsung to them also. After the SJ5000x 1.2.4 upgrade I can match my Sony Nex-F3 up with it without even doing a lot of color correction. Even matching the SJ8000 up isn't a big issue, but whatever gets the best image is usually the A cam. So now it's Nex-F3 as camera A. SJ5000x is B and SJ8000 is C. I do have a shoot coming up where I'm using the SJCam as the A. camera. I'm thinking about buying another SJ5000x or saving for a GoPro. SJ9000 is in the running too and looking pretty good.

-Nate

I think you will like the M20.

I think you will like the M20.

you should send him a free one for review, you're likely to get better feedback from someone that is more of an enthusiast and uses the cameras as @Nathyn Masters does where he's doing a lot of editing and subjective analysis of the footage

Nice to see SJCam offering correct specifications for M20.
Two questions:
- why not called it M20+? Because you know already a no-name manufacturer created an M20 with a fake IMX117.
- why on Gearbest is advertised as 1296p?

enjoy,
Mtz

Nice to see SJCam offering correct specifications for M20.
Two questions:
- why not called it M20+? Because you know already a no-name manufacturer created an M20 with a fake IMX117.
- why on Gearbest is advertised as 1296p?

enjoy,
Mtz

You are correct that there is already a fake M20 with a Fake IMX117. They adopted that name shortly after we announced the SJCAM M20.

To be honest, I am not even sure how or why Gearbest listed it when the specs where not definitive yet. We all have probably heard mixed things about Gearbest though.

Anyways, the firmware in one of our review videos shows M20+. I really do not have much more info on m20 vs m20+, but, maybe naming it M20+ would be a good move since there is already the M20.

Hope this answers your questions :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TonyCams SJCAM 98
Back