Help. Hardwire problem. Power to cam even when ignition off.

stevedrummrrboy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I could do with some help. I have a nextbase dash cam with the next base hardwire kit. I installed it to a Peugeot 2008 and it works perfectly.

However I tryed it on my Peugeot 207 and it has constant power. I have tryed several different types of fuses. It just doesn't power on with ignition or power off. You can turn it on manually and it has power and even when the keys are out the car it still has power.

I do not want to have to turn my cam on manually every time. Can anyone suggest anything?

Do you have a multimeter at home ? Test all fuses first when car is parked ( ACC off ). Find fuses without power, use one of fuse, turn on engine, run for few minutes, turn off and see result.

Yes all. Still the same
I have not seen car where is all power on all fuses at all time, but i don't use french cars;)
Are you quite sure that it's not the dvr that keeps power on, do you have setting "shut down immediately" or whatever this item is called in your dvr?
If not then you really need some kind of multimeter or a light bulb and some wire at least.

I have not seen car where is all power on all fuses at all time, but i don't use french cars;)
Are you quite sure that it's not the dvr that keeps power on, do you have setting "shut down immediately" or whatever this item is called in your dvr?
If not then you really need some kind of multimeter or a light bulb and some wire at least.
I'm thinking it is dvr. Got in touch with next base they told me to take it to a Peugeot dealer which would cost me a fortune. Will check settings. Failing that. Will try multi meter. Thank you

I think the electric windows are 30A so if you do tap into this you'd need to make sure your add-a-circuits are rated for this. Looking at the fuse box for the 207, it does seem like a lot of items share the same fuse such as F5 is the heated rear screen which I would think wouldn't work when the ignition is off, however, it is also the cigarette lighter which may work! Same for F9 which is the wipers, windscreen washer etc which shouldn't work, but then the map reading light also uses this fuse which may work. I guess it's possible a lot of these fuses remain live but somewhere else down the line the individual items may have something stopping them working when the ignition is off?

There will be some residual power in the system after you power down, which is why electric windows still work a few times after switching off. How long are you waiting to see if the dashcam remains powered on?

Also, I notive that fuse F11 is dedicated only to the foglights. If you have them then try switching them on with the ignition off and go out and see if they are on. If not then you know that fuse should be powering off and it therefore must be either residual power or the Nextbase cam battery or something.

Multimeter as suggested is the best way to go though.

In the manual of the car it might tell you as well if there are more fuses somewhere else in the car.

Fuse inside also I believe? Fuse no 1 would be my first choice, not the end of the world if the rear wiper were to stop working! lol

2665d1338312454-207-fusebox-diagram-207-fuses-inside.jpg

2666d1338312614-207-fusebox-diagram-207-fuses-inside.jpg-1.jpg

I think the electric windows are 30A so if you do tap into this you'd need to make sure your add-a-circuits are rated for this. Looking at the fuse box for the 207, it does seem like a lot of items share the same fuse such as F5 is the heated rear screen which I would think wouldn't work when the ignition is off, however, it is also the cigarette lighter which may work! Same for F9 which is the wipers, windscreen washer etc which shouldn't work, but then the map reading light also uses this fuse which may work. I guess it's possible a lot of these fuses remain live but somewhere else down the line the individual items may have something stopping them working when the ignition is off?

There will be some residual power in the system after you power down, which is why electric windows still work a few times after switching off. How long are you waiting to see if the dashcam remains powered on?

Also, I notive that fuse F11 is dedicated only to the foglights. If you have them then try switching them on with the ignition off and go out and see if they are on. If not then you know that fuse should be powering off and it therefore must be either residual power or the Nextbase cam battery or something.

Multimeter as suggested is the best way to go though.
Thanks for your reply.

The cam does have battery and it shows the battery icon on the cam when using battery which would tell me no power is going to the cam. I have tryed all them fuses. First one I tryed was rear heated screen as that is the one they used as an example.

Thinking that they could all possibly be live I moved to the fuses under the bonnet. (Lights ect ect).

Strangely when I connected it. The dash cam wouldn't power on with the ignition. But did power on when I switched my lights on. Then when I switched my lights off the cam remained on. So I turned igition off and waited for a good 5 mins and still remained on..

I'm no expert but I think it could be the cam. But I could do with someone with more experience than me to suggest what it could be.

I don't know which model dvr you have, but can you check from settings menu this option "auto power off" and make sure that it's set to 10 seconds, or load default settings.Image1.jpg

I don't know which model dvr you have, but can you check from settings menu this option "auto power off" and make sure that it's set to 10 seconds, or load default settings.View attachment 21553
No options for auto power off. Put it back to default settings though and still the same

No options for auto power off. Put it back to default settings though and still the same
That's good because now you can be sure that this was not the problem, back to the car then with multimeter.

Does your rear wiper work when the ignition is off? If not then glovebox location fuse 1 could be an option (15A)? We wired up 10 trucks with the Nextbase hardwiring kit and they powered fine. The add-a-circuits with the Nextbase kit are rated to 20A so that should be fine also. It may also be worth double checking where you are grounding it to ?

Found this in the Peugeot 207 Manual

ENERGY ECONOMY MODE
System which manages the duration of use of certain functions to conserve a sufficient level of charge in the battery. After the engine has stopped, you can still use functions such as the audio equipment, windscreen wipers, dipped beam headlamps, courtesy lamps, etc. for a maximum combined duration of thirty minutes.

May explain why the power is staying on

French cars are (in) famous how clever they make basic electric systems.

Interesting, sounds like it's similar to BMW. Never heard of wipers still being active though! French electrics lol

Back