SJCAM SJ5000X Elite Updated Review

donmarkon

Reaction score
Country
Serbia
This is my updated review of SJCAM 5000X, untouched video samples will be available from tomorrow for download. I hope you guys enjoy it !

At 2:29 in your video you say a free program is available to join these 4GB files together. What I feel is really required is a means of recording a continuous file for as long as the camera is on. This is especially required when used as a dash cam. As an example of why it is necessary; I was involved in a very near collision with a car that drove through a Compulsory Stop intersection. Thinking I had a recording of the incident, I replayed the video. I found that the recording had stopped just prior to the near miss and restarted recording again soon after. Coincidence or not, the 4 seconds of not recording meant I had no way to prove what had occurred. Is the program you mention able to eliminate the time delay when recording or is it on for giving continuous running when replaying the recordings. So far this is my only complaint about this camera, and it is the reason why I bought it, I was told it recorded continuous video.

a proper dashcam doesn't have any missing footage, you can't record continuous files and be able to recycle, the larger the files the more you have to lose in the event of failure also

With respect jokiin, if that is the case, it should not be sold as able to be used as a Dash Cam, and advertised as capable of continuous recording. As far as losing everything in the event of a failure, I check my recordings after each trip/ camera useage, and download to a hard drive that which I want to keep and delete that what I don't.

With respect jokiin, if that is the case, it should not be sold as able to be used as a Dash Cam, and advertised as capable of continuous recording. As far as losing everything in the event of a failure, I check my recordings after each trip/ camera useage, and download to a hard drive that which I want to keep and delete that what I don't.

have never used one so can't comment how well or not this particular model works, recording continuously and recording in a continuous file is two different things, even when the loop setting is used it's recording non stop but it creates chapter points, when the card gets full it deletes the oldest chapter and continues recording, that is still a continuous recording and how a dashcam functions, what you are wanting to do is not how dashcams work, continuous recordings are still subject to file size limitations as well, if you want to record a single file you risk losing the lot in the case of a card error, power interruption etc, it can also not recycle like this so if the card fills up it would just stop

I find it hard to agree with you. I previously owned a RD990 action camera with Ambarella chipset. In Car mode it would record non stop, either until the 32GB card was full or the car was turned off. I regret selling it now, I only sold it because I felt the SJ cams were easier to set up with the screen at the back.

file limitation is 4gb, if you always had trips shorter that that you would have seen one file only each time

dashcams by design record continuously but broken into chapters, similar to a DVD movie, it's one seamless movie but can be navigated by chapters

Is there now way around that . All I know is with my previous camera, using a 32GB SD card I was able to fill it in one long trip.

Is there now way around that . All I know is with my previous camera, using a 32GB SD card I was able to fill it in one long trip.

have yet to see any dashcam/sports camera that could write it all in one file, no support in the chipset for it, FAT32 is limited to 4gb files also

I have a further problem now. I am trying to update to V1.3. I have followed instructions, downloaded the file, unzipped it, loaded it to sd card but how do I know when it has installed. Please overlook my illiteracy, I am pretty ancient old fellow and still learning

check the version number in the menu, other than being a bit slower to boot when doing an update there's not a lot to indicate what's going on, if still on the old version make sure you have the correct file for you model, there are multiple versions in the SJ5000 range and each uses different firmware

The camera is SJ5000x Elite, it was delivered 2 weeks ago, it has Version 1.2.5 at present. I have downloaded V1.3 and loaded I onto sd card. I followed the 8 steps as instructed but nothing has changed. Any suggestions

What I did find though is SJCam Firmware update has 3 different titles depending where one is looking on the SJCam site for the SJ5000x Elite updates. There is :- SJCam_SJ5000....rar , SJCAM002 (1).bin , V1.3 zip.
any wonder this old fellow is in trouble

you're not the first one to have trouble sorting this out, @Pavle might be able to give you some further info, he's researched these probably more than anyone

Yipee!, I have upgrade to V1.3. Very disappointed that the only indication I had that something was happening was the blue led by the OK button flickered for a while then only the red charge light was the only indication camera was turned on. After 1/2 hour I disconnected it from computer and turned camera on. It was upgraded. As a still learning amateur I reckon SJCam have a long way to go. Can't be too hard to add something like "upgrading" at start and "finish" at end

Can't be too hard to add something like "upgrading" at start and "finish" at end

different chipsets have different ways of handling this process so you're limited to what the platform supports as far as what you can do

This is my updated review of SJCAM 5000X, untouched video samples will be available from tomorrow for download. I hope you guys enjoy it !

Thanks for showing this review. Do you have any other footage clips? Also, the SJ5000x now has v1.4.6 firmware so make sure to upgrade :)

Back