Suggestions and/or Recommendations for a Taxi dash cam - Part II

Ukraine Visitor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Recently, at this post HERE, I asked for ideas for dash cam with sound to be used to record the driver and a police officer outside the driver's window during a traffic stop. I termed such dash cam a "taxi dash cam". The suggestion from those that helped me find a solution was overwhelmingly in favor of the Mobius C3 dash cam.
Now, as I continue to absorb (and digest!) general information on this site about dash cams, I stumbled upon the rear view mirror (RVM) cams forum, and have paused to reconsider why a RVM dash cam wouldn't do the job of a taxi dash cam, and do it brilliantly.
(1) Stealthy? - it can't get any stealthier;
(2) Good audio sound? - most include fair-to-good quality microphones;
(3) Set-it-and-forget-it? - obviously;
(4) Good FoV/coverage? - since the RVM it already tilted (with respect to the plane of the vehicle's front), it seems that, even at 100° coverage, both the driver and the officer would be fully visible;
(5) Remote video recording (RVR)? - No, but since the RVM cam is an actual component of the vehicle, remote video recording becomes a moot point...as a part of the vehicle is it most stealthy and -thus- safeguarding the microSD card is no longer as much of a priority as for dash cams that sit announcing themselves on the front windshield of the vehicle.

In short, it seems that a rear view mirror cam would be a great fit to work the role of a taxi dash cam. So I am wondering if anyone would care to share their opinions and/or comments before I go out there and make my purchase. Thanks!

Last edited:
they generally don't have the range of motion you were asking for, the majority of mirror cams also aren't that great

they generally don't have the range of motion you were asking for, the majority of mirror cams also aren't that great

If they can't do at least 100°, that would be a dealbreaker.
Is the FoV angle a specs often published by rear view mirror cam manufacturers?

I had "almost" perfect taxi-drivers RVM-DVR 3 y ago.
Concept is good, for the price I paid it is fair enough, but I would prefer to pay 2-3x more to get maximum out of same design with performance and hardware suitable for 2016y.

My short unboxing video

Thanks Niko..Like they say, "a picture is worth 1,000 words", and that video was awesome! If everyone's videos were like yours (quality, thoroughness, sequence, etc.) they would all be so much more enjoyable - not to mention EDUCATIONAL!

The FOV of most of the cheaper cams (and some not-so-cheap ones too) is over-stated. Read the forums for the specific cam you are considering and ask among owners of that cam in those forums.

I understand that there is some problem with dishonest police over there. It happens here some too. Would audio be enough to protect you? It seems that they would have to say something to scam you and as long as you could prove what was said that might be good enough.

Phil

The FOV of most of the cheaper cams (and some not-so-cheap ones too) is over-stated. Read the forums for the specific cam you are considering and ask among owners of that cam in those forums.

Phil

Why do you say that? My understanding is that FOV/viewing angle is measured based on what the DVR displays on a connected widescreen monitor upon playback, and not on what is being displayed on the tiny (and, almost always, not widescreen) display of the dash cam as it records scenes while you drive your vehicle.

Why do you say that? My understanding is that FOV/viewing angle is measured based on what the DVR displays on a connected widescreen monitor upon playback, and not on what is being displayed on the tiny (and, almost always, not widescreen) display of the dash cam as it records scenes while you drive your vehicle.

viewing angle is a lens specification, most manufacturers and sellers quote the maximum figure that lens is capable of, which sensor is used and at what resolution though will give a different real world result, spec is most often quoted as a diagonal measurement as well which is even more confusing

Of the three different cams I have, only one comes close to the specified angles. Numbers, like features, are overstated in capability to get you to buy the product. If you REALLY want to know what to expect of a cam, read about it in the forums here. It will ensure that you aren't disappointed by the cam you choose and help you avoid the ones that are a waste of money.

Phil

Of the three different cams I have, only one comes close to the specified angles. Numbers, like features, are overstated in capability to get you to buy the product. If you REALLY want to know what to expect of a cam, read about it in the forums here. It will ensure that you aren't disappointed by the cam you choose and help you avoid the ones that are a waste of money.

Phil

As a consumer I can tell you that what matters to us is how the stated FoV translates into something practical, such as how much of into "the sides" of the image we can observe upon playback. How are you measuring the stated FoV/viewing angle that you came out with results that lead you to conclude the specified angles were overstated? And, if the difference was as dramatic as you appear to imply to be so disappointed by their claims, and why didn't you return the failed products for a refund of your money for those products that you weren't happy with? Didn't you approve of the terms of their product warranty before you made those purchases? There is a difference between the marketing literature for products and their technical specs; what are you going by when doing your pre-purchase evaluation and their post-purchase assessment? And, when looking at technical specs do you go by he ones provided by the product manufacturer or by those revealed by third party product reviewers? As you seem to imply you did read the forums here before you made your purchases, what went wrong during your investigations in these forums that could help me avoid making the same mistakes myself?

I simply did what I recommend reading these forums before purchase. I knew what I would end up getting so the cams gave an actual FOV I was OK with even if the advertising claimed more. I knew the G-sensor and motion detect were also cheesy but that wasn't important to my use either. Not purely scientific, i measured my cam's FOV by taking the laptop with recordings to the truck and compared what they showed to a protractor held where the cam lens is and compared the two. Being a carpenter visual readings of measurements is my bailiwick so I know I am +/_ no more than 2 degrees and probably half that. If advertising says one thing and dozens of others who own and use that cam come to another conclusion unlike that, who would you believe? I generally trust the people here and they've proven to be more correct than the advertising. If you trust the advertising you will find real-world experience differs. Only a few cams meet the advertised specs but even that doesn't mean they will be better cams though they usually are. So technically my methods tend toward the analog and empirical, but it seems to work well in the world I live in.

Rather than debate my methods of thought and decision why don't we discuss some of the cams you're considering instead. How you decide is up to you; my only aim is seeing that you truly have a good chance at getting a cam that meets your needs as closely as possible.

Phil

I simply did what I recommend reading these forums before purchase. I knew what I would end up getting so the cams gave an actual FOV I was OK with even if the advertising claimed more. I knew the G-sensor and motion detect were also cheesy but that wasn't important to my use either. Not purely scientific, i measured my cam's FOV by taking the laptop with recordings to the truck and compared what they showed to a protractor held where the cam lens is and compared the two. Being a carpenter visual readings of measurements is my bailiwick so I know I am +/_ no more than 2 degrees and probably half that. If advertising says one thing and dozens of others who own and use that cam come to another conclusion unlike that, who would you believe? I generally trust the people here and they've proven to be more correct than the advertising. If you trust the advertising you will find real-world experience differs. Only a few cams meet the advertised specs but even that doesn't mean they will be better cams though they usually are. So technically my methods tend toward the analog and empirical, but it seems to work well in the world I live in.

Rather than debate my methods of thought and decision why don't we discuss some of the cams you're considering instead. How you decide is up to you; my only aim is seeing that you truly have a good chance at getting a cam that meets your needs as closely as possible.

Phil

I can't find it just now but I recently read somewhere that Consumers Reports might be doing dash cam evaluations in the future. That would be welcomed news when it happens, as it would present an additional decision-making tool besides manufacturers, retails, friends and forums. The speed at which dash cam interest is growing in the US, CR evaluations is not a matter of if it happens, but of when it will happen. I will keep in mind you offer as it sounds good to me. As of now I only know it will be the taxicab type that is the subject of this thread and the traditional 2-ch dash cam.

I can't find it just now but I recently read somewhere that Consumers Reports might be doing dash cam evaluations in the future.
The UK Consumer Association published a dashcam test report in Which? Magazine some time ago.

The 'best' camera was the NextBase 402G, with the GoPro Hero in second place. The GoPro isn't suitable for use as a dashcam, & there have been a number of reports here of the NextBase suffering premature battery failure. The NextBase is frankly overpriced for a LiPo-reliant dashcam.

If I'm buying a toaster or kettle or the like, I will take Consumer Association recommendations into consideration. When it comes to dashcams, however, I have little faith in their opinions.

The UK Consumer Association published a dashcam test report in Which? Magazine some time ago. If I'm buying a toaster or kettle or the like, I will take Consumer Association recommendations into consideration. When it comes to dashcams, however, I have little faith in their opinions.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

Recently, at this post HERE, I asked for ideas for dash cam with sound to be used to record the driver and a police officer outside the driver's window during a traffic stop. I termed such dash cam a "taxi dash cam". The suggestion from those that helped me find a solution was overwhelmingly in favor of the Mobius C3 dash cam.
Now, as I continue to absorb (and digest!) general information on this site about dash cams, I stumbled upon the rear view mirror (RVM) cams forum, and have paused to reconsider why a RVM dash cam wouldn't do the job of a taxi dash cam, and do it brilliantly.
(1) Stealthy? - it can't get any stealthier;
(2) Good audio sound? - most include fair-to-good quality microphones;
(3) Set-it-and-forget-it? - obviously;
(4) Good FoV/coverage? - since the RVM it already tilted (with respect to the plane of the vehicle's front), it seems that, even at 100° coverage, both the driver and the officer would be fully visible;
(5) Remote video recording (RVR)? - No, but since the RVM cam is an actual component of the vehicle, remote video recording becomes a moot point...as a part of the vehicle is it most stealthy and -thus- safeguarding the microSD card is no longer as much of a priority as for dash cams that sit announcing themselves on the front windshield of the vehicle.

In short, it seems that a rear view mirror cam would be a great fit to work the role of a taxi dash cam. So I am wondering if anyone would care to share their opinions and/or comments before I go out there and make my purchase. Thanks!

Depend on my experience, rear view camera will offer you:
1,Steady placing, and will keep the previous looks in your car.
2,Anti-dinic function in the night, as you know, if the car next to your car uses the headlights, the light reflected by the rear view camera will have a bad influence on the driver.While the rear view camera will avoid this case.

But with the disadvantage as below:
1,Restting the camera often if your car is driven by others all the time, as you know, every driver has the different reference on the seat and view on the "rear view camera".
2,A little difference on the driving habit.

Wish the above will help you.

The UK Consumer Association published a dashcam test report in Which? Magazine some time ago.

The 'best' camera was the NextBase 402G, with the GoPro Hero in second place. The GoPro isn't suitable for use as a dashcam, & there have been a number of reports here of the NextBase suffering premature battery failure. The NextBase is frankly overpriced for a LiPo-reliant dashcam.

If I'm buying a toaster or kettle or the like, I will take Consumer Association recommendations into consideration. When it comes to dashcams, however, I have little faith in their opinions.
Mostly, the Gopro does not have the "loop setting" .

Back