• Sony image sensor for high quality videos and photos
  • Fantastic image stabilization
  • Smooth and fast transitions from light to dark environments
  • Wide field of view
  • Sharp photos with lots of detail
  • Decent dynamic range
  • Excellent auto white balance
  • Acceptable low-light recording
  • Many options for camera operation (ie: action cam, dash cam, etc)
Cons:
  • Blocky artifacts caused by over compression of video
  • Occasional dropped video frames and severe motion blur in low light
  • Screen has poor viewing angles and inaccurate colour
  • Hot pixels in dark scenery
  • Camera case arrived scratched and beat up
  • No helmet strap mount included
Conclusion: The Gitup Git2 Pro is my current favorite budget action camera, with decent hardware and good quality video. There are a few little software issues that could be corrected, for example the video artifacts caused by compression. For daily use I will be increasing the exposure by nearly a stop in order to make immediately usable footage, but in its default state the camera produces footage that is weighted towards highlight detail. This means the video is initially darker than competitors but it allows for more wiggle room in post production. I notice that the video has some significant motion blur in darker lighting due to the low shutter speed, which is a disappointment and hopefully something Gitup will fix in a future firmware release. Also, the screen isn't the greatest, with poor viewing angles and colours. But all these gripes are liveable, as the results from this camera are generally very good and its image stabilizer is amazing.

See this review on my blog: Link Here

Comparison with the SJ5000x Elite: Link Here

Hopefully you find this useful! Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Last edited:
Thanks for your review, in latest V1.4 firmware, we improved the bitrate and offered shutter speed option for video, someone posted the video quality improved.

Thanks for your review, in latest V1.4 firmware, we improved the bitrate and offered shutter speed option for video, someone posted the video quality improved.

Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a try! Can't wait for more from y'all, keep up the great work. :)

;)Video looks great. Thanks for sharing.

The negative things about the gitup2 are not that bad, the most important thing is they are working on making it better,
and the hardware is solid. It is more of a firmware issue to get it right.

And LCD screens on most actioncams and dashcams are not that good, viewing angles are always bad on a LCD, with
a IPS LCD you get a bit better, plus a brighter screen. But they cost more. Amoled is best but does not product the right
colors, it is also the most expensive. So the issue with bad viewing angles with the LCD display is not a big issue
as most cameras have this problem anyway.

Because the hardware is overall good, you can fix the rest with firmware upgrades.

Thanks for the review.

The negative things about the gitup2 are not that bad, the most important thing is they are working on making it better,
and the hardware is solid. It is more of a firmware issue to get it right.

And LCD screens on most actioncams and dashcams are not that good, viewing angles are always bad on a LCD, with
a IPS LCD you get a bit better, plus a brighter screen. But they cost more. Amoled is best but does not product the right
colors, it is also the most expensive. So the issue with bad viewing angles with the LCD display is not a big issue
as most cameras have this problem anyway.

Because the hardware is overall good, you can fix the rest with firmware upgrades.

Thanks for the review.

The LCD on the Git2 is noticeably worse than on a few others I have tested because of poor colour reproduction (mine is VERY orange) and viewing angles, but I understand that this is to meet a price point. It's still usable no doubt and the camera does improve with every firmware update. Thank you for the reply.

The LCD on the Git2 is noticeably worse than on a few others I have tested because of poor colour reproduction (mine is VERY orange) and viewing angles, but I understand that this is to meet a price point. It's still usable no doubt and the camera does improve with every firmware update. Thank you for the reply.
Possibly there is something wrong with your LCD, in my experience the Git1 and Git2 have one of the easiest to use LCDs in sunlight and I have never noticed an orange tint... maybe we need some other opinions...

Nice review, simple and straight to the point. Just received my Git2 from GB. Can't wait to play with it.

DrekiTech, yeah, there are bound to be inconsistencys in the quality of the LCD display, as they are on the cheap side, but as long as they are not broken
and even if colors are off etc. The main reason is to have a display, if you need to use a better display for reviewing video and such, when you
are out and about, you can just use your mobile phone to playback the video with the app VLC or something.

I find a LCD display is a must have on a action cam but on a dashcam not so much as it is intended for permanent installation. But a action cam
must capture what you want it to capture, so every time you set it up, that LCD display is great to have.

If the Git2 was a 2.0" screen, it would be nicer.

I would not rely on the git2 screen for anything else but aiming the thing and change setttings, if i was in doubt and just had to look closer on somthing i would have to eject the SD card and then have a look at it in my phone or tablet if i have that at hand.

But i doubt i will go there, i would just do my settings and point and shoot, and if i missed somthing well then i might get it next time, and if i missed somthing special, well then it do suck ( missed getting rearended in october due to flaky rear dashcam ) but i am sure i could find a way to live with it.

Hell even the large screen on my Nikon Dslr i just use for settings and aiming, and since its digital i just snap 10 pictures and hope one of them is really good, and if i have the time i play with the settings and take 50 pictures and hope one of them is good.

PS. I dont do post editing on photos or video, i might split and splice video and put on some text but thats allso it.
In regard to video i have played with pinnacle software and used some of the fancy stuff in that program, but really it dont rock my boat and just make making a video take 5 times longer ( if not more )

Photos is as i take them and thats it, really dislike photoshop use.

I hope the next version will have gps. It would be a great add-on.

I hope the next version will have gps. It would be a great add-on.
Maybe the Git3 will be able to use a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver.

I would not rely on the git2 screen for anything else but aiming the thing and change setttings, if i was in doubt and just had to look closer on somthing i would have to eject the SD card and then have a look at it in my phone or tablet if i have that at hand.

But i doubt i will go there, i would just do my settings and point and shoot, and if i missed somthing well then i might get it next time, and if i missed somthing special, well then it do suck ( missed getting rearended in october due to flaky rear dashcam ) but i am sure i could find a way to live with it.

Hell even the large screen on my Nikon Dslr i just use for settings and aiming, and since its digital i just snap 10 pictures and hope one of them is really good, and if i have the time i play with the settings and take 50 pictures and hope one of them is good.

PS. I dont do post editing on photos or video, i might split and splice video and put on some text but thats allso it.
In regard to video i have played with pinnacle software and used some of the fancy stuff in that program, but really it dont rock my boat and just make making a video take 5 times longer ( if not more )

Photos is as i take them and thats it, really dislike photoshop use.

Yes you have a very good point, even on my DSLR the colours are a bit 'off' on its screen compared to my properly colour calibrated display (usually they're too bright/punchy).

I will be doing an updated version of this review with the latest firmware as it did improve on many of my initial criticisms.

Some times i might zoom in on a picture on the little screen to see if i have nailed focus, but really its not that often i do that as i often rely on autofocus.

What is the optimal distance for a clear focused picture? I tried to take some nice sceenery picture, but it all came out of focus I was at seattle over the weekend and their cherry blossom were blooming but closeup pictures were out of focus. I would post an example but I have to re-size the picture first.

What is the optimal distance for a clear focused picture? I tried to take some nice sceenery picture, but it all came out of focus I was at seattle over the weekend and their cherry blossom were blooming but closeup pictures were out of focus. I would post an example but I have to re-size the picture first.
Anything beyond around 80 cm should be in focus, if you want to get closer than that you can add a close up filter.

Tx Nigel, I will give it a try at 3ft.

Back