Niko and guys, per my other posting HERE, I am trying to go about this project using a hi-level “systems” approach only (I know, I know...that will be difficult, if not impossible...), i.e., I am trying
(1) not to mess with the K1s’s internal batteries and
(2) not to mess with SuperCaps.
So I am trying to use a Cellink because I am under the impression that if I use a Cellink (instead of just a PMP) I will be able
(1) to get power even while my engine is not running (and thus support my implied goal of parking mode) and
(2) to not run the risk of that my K1S battery will expand and perhaps even explode.
Hope this clarification helps you guys steer me into any potential caveats. Thx!!

BTW, @jokiin & @CDNinHH, regarding your “if wanting to connect to permanent power it's the wrong tool for the job…have to agree, I don't see why the extra complexity”...
It’s not a matter of complexity but of convenience, functionality and smart planning:
(1) PMP appears to provide the option to turn off the Cellink and entire dash cam recordings with one simple switch,
(2) PMP gives option to use cutoff voltage, and
(3) I can plan NOW to do the entire install at Best Buy in one-shot and save some money, save on vehicle downtime/availability to me and save on aggravation.
Didn't you guys all agree that I can rip the 3 benefits above? (My apologies if my understanding failed somewhere along this journey!)

I think the Cellink is a great device

The PMP is a useful device for some installations

The 2 of them used together though is missing the point, just throwing away money the way I see it

I think the Cellink is a great device

The PMP is a useful device for some installations

The 2 of them used together though is missing the point, just throwing away money the way I see it

Jokiin, I think that we have all been using "PMP" in these discussions to mean any unit that provides the functionality of a Battery Discharge Protection device. I don't think (I hope!) that anyone here ever used "PMP" to refer only and specifically to the actual Power Magic Plus product made by BlackVue. (I personally wouldn't purchase a Power Magic Pro for my application, and my eyes are set on the Vico-Power Plus instead, but had been using the term "PMP" because everyone seemed to know what I meant.) That said, do you feel there's no added benefit to using a Vico-Power Plus in a Cellink installation?

The Vico is by far the best of these types of devices, I still wouldn't use it with the Cellink though

The Vico is by far the best of these types of devices, I still wouldn't use it with the Cellink though

:confused: ... The best in terms of what?
Price, reliability, quality, value, warranty, seller's reputation, size, heat dissipation, cold weather resistance, easiest to use, easiest to install, long life??? there are many other criteria as I am sure you would also know... As for me, I am a newbie,,, just learning how to crawl! :(

Last edited:
It's the best of the battery discharge prevention devices, a lot dearer than the alternatives so you'd expect it to be good

The Cellink though is more of a battery bypass device

Two good devices, but two very different purposes

It's the best of the battery discharge prevention devices, a lot dearer than the alternatives so you'd expect it to be good

The Cellink though is more of a battery bypass device

Two good devices, but two very different purposes

Thanks for the insights!!
What happens when the juice from the Cellink gets depleted, does the camera bypasses it (i.e., acts as if the Cellink wasn't there) and starts to draw power from the car's battery until it is depleted too? I think you know where I am going, right? I am trying to add some intelligence to the setup.

Thanks for the insights!!
What happens when the juice from the Cellink gets depleted, does the camera bypasses it (i.e., acts as if the Cellink wasn't there) and starts to draw power from the car's battery until it is depleted too? I think you know where I am going, right? I am trying to add some intelligence to the setup.

when the Cellink runs out of power the camera stops, that's how they work

when the Cellink runs out of power the camera stops, that's how they work

...And then the quincentennial "last file" doesn't get saved properly.
I want to keep the cam running 24/7/365 without adding 365+ Cellinks in series and I want to close the last file gracefully too.
How is that done when you have Cellink but without adding a PMP/Vico/BDP device to the mix?

Last edited:
...And then the quincentennial "last file" doesn't get saved properly.

not in your camera with no battery scenario no, that's when it crashes

I want to keep the cam running 24/7/365 without adding 365+ Cellinks in parallel and I want to close the last file gracefully too.

how long is the vehicle likely to sit for between being started? I'll respond further once you get back about this

how long is the vehicle likely to sit for between being started? I'll respond further once you get back about this

On average, 12 hours, but tops 16 hours.
(Except, of course, for leaving it at the airport: average 9 days (216 hrs) twice a year - in which cases I would like the option NOW to have a switch to turn off all recording for deciding LATER if turning off all recording makes sense - something I am not yet sure.)
I think I know where you are going with this:)...THANKS!

On average, 12 hours, but tops 16 hours.
(Except, of course, for leaving it at the airport: average 9 days (216 hrs) twice a year - in which cases I would like the option NOW to have a switch to turn off all recording for deciding LATER if turning off all recording makes sense - something I am not yet sure.)

the Cellink runs around 25 to 35 hours depending on current draw so for everyday use it would do what you want, there is even an expansion pack to double the recording time, keep in mind for your quest of 24/7/365 recording anything captured overnight may well be overwritten by the time you get back to the car anyway so you're just as likely to overwrite your evidence before you can make use of it

when you're parked at the airport any system is going to be useless so just shut it off, no point even trying to capture that, maybe try parking somewhere near security cameras, you have better odds of catching an event on someone else's camera

I think I know where you are going with this:)...THANKS!

At no point in time have I understood where you are going with this

keep in mind for your quest of 24/7/365 recording anything captured overnight may well be overwritten by the time you get back to the car anyway so you're just as likely to overwrite your evidence before you can make use of it

Certainly an oversight on my part! :(

Brilliant! brilliant!! very insightful! As I said jokiin..THANKS! :)

if wanting to connect to permanent power it's the wrong tool for the job

I have to agree, I don't see why you would want the extra complexity.

In this dash cam review, the author states that BlackVue DR750LW comes with a BDP built in. Does that mean you wouldn't add a Cellink to a BlackVue DR750LW installtion? Of course not! So obviously, there must be some benefit in adding BDP to a dash cam that is supported by a permanent power source. As such, I am not so sure that I can readily agree with the conclusion you are both drawing. Or perhaps I am not aware or some other detail you both have???

In this dash cam review, the author states that BlackVue DR750LW comes with a BDP built in. Does that mean you wouldn't add a Cellink to a BlackVue DR750LW installtion? Of course not! So obviously, there must be some benefit in adding BDP to a dash cam that is supported by a permanent power source. As such, I am not so sure that I can readily agree with the conclusion you are both drawing. Or perhaps I am not aware or some other detail you both have???

that camera has the low voltage cutoff built in, not the same as an external device, the Cellink is to bypass the vehicle battery as a power source, you're talking about using a BDP to feed the Cellink, no point in doing that at all

it's not that we have other detail, just that you are not understanding it correctly

Cellink-B was mainly developed as an alternative to external battery banks, but with add-on of "intellect / brain" and using newer generation chemicals. Mostly it is recommended to be used with BMW or similar vehicles to avoid canbus errors.

the Cellink is to bypass the vehicle battery as a power source

Hi. You've probably said that a million times, but with my steep DC learning curve it, I just now realized its significance! (The Aha! moment) ...Seems now I just need to concentrate on selecting the dash cam and adding the Cellink, and between those 2 I should be good to go!

Last edited:
Cellink-B was mainly developed as an alternative to external battery banks, but with add-on of "intellect / brain" and using newer generation chemicals. Mostly it is recommended to be used with BMW or similar vehicles to avoid canbus errors.

I am not sure if Cellink-B is a different product than Cellink, or if B is just a newer release of the same product. I will look into that first. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Back