GitUp Git2- Support, FAQ, Review

Follow the instructions for upgrading from V1.2, install the loader first, then the firmware. Follow the instructions carefully and you should get it working again.

Although it appears that there is "no electicity", it is probably just not starting because either the firmware or loader is invalid. Make sure that you don't leave the loader file on the memory card after it has been installed because if it is there then it will appear to do nothing.

Also check that you have properly unzipped both files, both of them should have a .bin extension.

Thank you very much.

Not as has happened but I have spent V1.2 and finally has been updated to V1.4.

Everything works fine waiting for more time to test it.

Thank you very much and greetings from Spain.

@jokiin

There is small mistake in polish translation to v1.4 - when choosing Gyro/MotionDetection it says it is turned on when actually it is off, and vice versa. Although the icon changes and tells you if it is on or off anyway. Other functions are translated correctly, just these two. WYŁĄCZONE means OFF, WŁĄCZONE means ON.

Thanks

@jokiin

There is small mistake in polish translation to v1.4 - when choosing Gyro/MotionDetection it says it is turned on when actually it is off, and vice versa. Although the icon changes and tells you if it is on or off anyway. Other functions are translated correctly, just these two. WYŁĄCZONE means OFF, WŁĄCZONE means ON.

Thanks

Thanks (not my product) @gitup will appreciate the feedback though and will be able to get that fixed in the nest update I'm sure

Hi all,

Anyone experienced Gitup losing totall battery charge in a few days turned off?
On time, i will test upgrading to FW1.4, test with another battery, and check if i have any issue on time/date.

Could this be caused by time/date issues reported, descharging batery to keep this infos on cam memory?

My git lose time and date after 2days without battery.

think it has an RTC battery and doesn't need the camera battery to keep the clock set
Yes, i was wounder if a fault on RTC can cause the cam to use is own battery

I will do some tests to debug, maybe it is just a bad battery unit

My Git2 took these photos by itself:

Great%20Tit.jpg

Wood%20Pigeon.jpg

I've connected a PIR movement sensor to the external trigger input on it's HDMI socket:

TrapCam.jpg

Hi Nigel, Great pictures. I presume that is an additional battery pack behind the Git 2. Would you be willing to share the detail of how you set up the PIR to trigger via the HDMI cable as while I am reasonably handy with the mechanical stuff I am not really clued up on the electronics. A while ago I looked at a TriggerTrap PIR for my DSLR for the same as you have done with the Git but it was ridiculously expensive. Thanks and Regards Dennis

Hi Nigel, Great pictures. I presume that is an additional battery pack behind the Git 2. Would you be willing to share the detail of how you set up the PIR to trigger via the HDMI cable as while I am reasonably handy with the mechanical stuff I am not really clued up on the electronics. A while ago I looked at a TriggerTrap PIR for my DSLR for the same as you have done with the Git but it was ridiculously expensive. Thanks and Regards Dennis
Hi Buspass. Yes, it is an EasyAcc 10,000mAh USB battery pack which should run the camera and electronics for well over 24 hours, haven't tested it for that long yet.

My post above was a shortened version as I wasn't expecting people on this forum to be interested in the full details, but since you have asked, here is the full post, the electronics are actually quite easy but you will need a soldering iron to make the cables up as GitUp doesn't have an HDMI cable available for sale yet and the PIR sensor doesn't come with cables, ask if you want any more details...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I've connected a PIR motion sensor to the Git2 HDMI port so my Git2 now takes a photo when someone or some animal moves in front of it.

These were from the first test, wasn't expecting it to work with small birds but it did! Photo quality will improve when I put the close up lens on and the rain stops...

Great%20Tit.jpg

Wood%20Pigeon.jpg

This is what it currently looks like:
Rain proof box with USB powerbank, Git2, a small circuit board and a bag of silica gel inside. PIR Sensor outside since the nice clear lid of my box doesn't let IR light through so the sensor can't see from inside. GoPro filter adaptor and UV filter mounted in a hole in the front of the box to hold the Git2 and give it a better view than looking through the plastic box lid. Hopefully any damp inside the UV filter will find it's way down the flat area at the top of the lens barrel and get adsorbed by the silica gel inside the box - very useful having a flat top to the lens barrel, Gitup thinks of everything!

It could do with some shorter and thinner cables to look tidy, but that works for now.

TrapCam.jpg

So what is on the circuit board?

The PIR sensor gives a digital output. +v when it detects movement and 0v when there is no movement.

The Git2 requires a servo motor PWM signal on pin2 of the HDMI connector with 3 different levels specifying record video, standby or take photo.

To convert from digital to servo signals I used one of these:

Git2%20Photon.JPG

https://www.particle.io/

It allows a bit more than just converting signals, it also gives a wifi connection (or mobile connection with a different version) so I can see how many photos or how much video it is taking from my computer, it can inform me of when it takes a photo, and I can also tell it to take a photo over the wifi.

This is the circuit board:
Circuit%20Diagram.jpg

The big wifi aerial is not necessary but means it will connect from anywhere in the garden, even when well out of range of the Git2 wifi or remote watch.

Of course it needs a bit of firmware to tell it what to do, for those that are interested, this will take a photo if the PIR sees something or if you tell it to over the internet or you press the test button, and you can ask it over the internet how many it has taken:

Code:
SYSTEM_THREAD(ENABLED);
SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);

// Use the following commands at your computer command prompt to access the photo count and take a photo via wifi:
// particle variable get TrapCam PhotoCount
// particle function call TrapCam TakePhoto

typedef enum
{
  mode_video = 1000,
  mode_standby = 1500,
  mode_photo = 2000
}
mode_enum ;

int button_photo = D0;
int led_photo = D4;
int led_board = D7;
int pir_sensor = D6;
Servo servo_Git2mode;
bool hart = false;
double photo_count = 0;
bool photo_request = false;
mode_enum mode = mode_standby;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(led_photo,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(led_board, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(button_photo,INPUT_PULLUP); 
  pinMode(pir_sensor, INPUT_PULLDOWN);
  servo_Git2mode.attach(D2);

Particle.variable("PhotoCount", &photo_count, DOUBLE);
  Particle.function("TakePhoto",TakePhoto);

Particle.connect();
}

void loop()
{
  bool photo_button_pressed = !digitalRead (button_photo);
  bool pir_on = digitalRead (pir_sensor);

mode_enum new_mode = pir_on || photo_button_pressed || photo_request ? mode_photo : mode_standby;
  if (new_mode == mode_photo && mode != mode_photo) photo_count++;
  mode = new_mode;
  photo_request = false;

digitalWrite(led_photo, mode == mode_photo);
  servo_Git2mode.writeMicroseconds(mode);

digitalWrite(led_board,hart = !hart);

delay(100);
}

int TakePhoto(String command)
{
  photo_request = true;
  return photo_count + 1;
}

For people in the UK, components can be sourced at good prices from: http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/s...estType=Base&partNumber=SC13874&storeId=10180

Last edited:
A while ago I looked at a TriggerTrap PIR for my DSLR for the same as you have done with the Git but it was ridiculously expensive. Thanks and Regards Dennis
Just looked up TriggerTrap PIR.

Mine cost 1/3rd of that even with a high quality polycarbonate rainproof box to contain everything and the 10,000mAh battery pack, plus some parts for the next project! The TriggerTrap PIR doesn't look to be much more than a £5 sensor in a box.

Hi Nigel, Thanks for the info - that should keep me busy for a while. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Hi Nigel, Thanks for the info - that should keep me busy for a while. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
If you are going to copy mine then you might like to know that the PIR sensor I used was a Panasonic EKMC1603111. 102 degree FOV and 12 meter detection range, probably a bit excessive but if you want to detect small animals it seems to work well and if you want to reduce the FOV you can put a short tube in front for it to look through.

Also you don't really need that button or LED, but it is nice to see when the PIR is working and you might want to use the button to switch between photo and video mode.

Have fun Dennis, if you get stuck then ask, and post some photos/video when you succeed :)

Parts List:

Last edited:
Quick question, manuel shutter speed only work with manual ISO ?

Nigel that was nice.

Another way is to have a battery pack, and then set up the camera to start recording when power is provided, this way you can use trigger,
like a infrared sensor for a alarm you would use in a house, or similar. When anything moves within the sensors area it will trigger
and turn the power on the the camera, and it will start recording, after a while the power is cut and camera shuts of.
Sort of how a dashcam works in a car, you set it up to start recording when starting the car and it shuts of automatic when car is turned off.

A real simple way of getting stuff recorded, when something is going on, instead of recording video of "nothing", requires nothing other
then buying the stuff and getting it setup, more or less.

Nigel that was nice.

Another way is to have a battery pack, and then set up the camera to start recording when power is provided...
Yes, the only issues with that are that it takes the camera 2 seconds to wake up and start recording, you can miss a lot in 2 seconds, and you can only do video, no photos.

You can also use the camera motion detection but again it is only for video, and the PIR can start recording before any movement is visible as it has a wider FOV and is more sensitive, and you can get even wider by having a 2nd PIR facing backwards to start recording before something passes into view.

Back