Xiaomi Yi 360 VR 6 Camera Rig Android app (Brahma Alpha)

From banggood:

Black/international
60.4mm×42mm×21.2mm

Xiaomi "STD" Z23
61 x 22 x 42 mm

They're different??? That is INSANE :-(

Now I can't use the international Xiaomi Yi in 3D printed designs for a 360 video rig like I'd planned to do.

.. Sorry I didn't realise - I have passed the message onto Steve who will update shapeways to let others know.

Thanks

Could you share your template for stitching in Autopano? You use original lenses?

I use reg lenses at the moment with IR covers although thinking to replace lenses and refocus.
Template I just stitch as goPro Hero 3+/4 nothing fancy..

# Set Video Resolution 1600x1200 60/50P 4:3
writeb 0xC06CC426 0x0C

Hi JR,
first, thanks for sharing all your knowledge and expertise. I doubt one could set up a 360° rig without stumbling across your videos and websites.
I am trying to build a rig myself and currently and I trying to understand the scripts to modify the camera settings. I succeeded using your "clientModeScripts" to make the Yi work in client mode with the Brahma-6 app, but I don't know how to combine this script with the 1600x1200 50/60fps script/setting. Can you give me a hint on this?
Your help is very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Oliver

It's easier to do through the Ponerine-S. Change Wi-Fi mode, resolution etc.

Hi Polder,
thanks for the hint. I had a look at Ponerine and of course I like the idea to inject 1600x1200 px, 59,94fps and a higher bitrate into each camera. But unfortunately, Ponerine and the cameras did not behave like exepcted. I could inject the new settings into one camera, but the scripts it installed kept dissappearing when I switched the camera off and on for a few times. And I did not find a tutorial or something similar to check whether I made a mistake.
I thought it would be a s easy as making one script containing all the desired settings, copy that script to the sd cards of the other cameras, changing the ip numbers in sta.sh in order to have 6 cameras working with the hotspot in my cellphone. The "clientModeScripts" seems to provide the "ip functionality" and initially, it worked more reliable than Ponerine but does not contain the advanced video resolution settings... Is it possible to combine both in a safe way?
Bye,
Oliver

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Autopano_Video_-_Template_Stitching
H3pro6 for the template i presume?

A few more questions:
What's the difference in maximum resolutions you get form your designs? the brahma6 (normal 6 setup and modified with 4 cameras horizontal) vs duet (with xiaomi + fisheyes) vs the git 2 duet setup? I understand the xiaomi duet setup doesn't reach 4K, but is it not possible to slightly upscale? 2x 1600x1200 should give slightly less than 4K right?

Last edited:
Hi

I have problem with wifie hotspot,I download files from link www.imica.net/uploaded_files/brahma6/Xiaomi.zip made like on tutorial
but my phones dosent see cameras. I use samsung note 2 and sony z5. How to get IP from cams when they dosent connect to hotspot? Do i have to change IP address in sta and watchdog files for my phone IP?

Thanks

Dsmok

Hi Forum.

I finally received my Xiaomi cams to build my Brahma7 rig. So far everything worked out perfectly (Wifi script, 1600x1200 script). I used the zip file (http://bit.ly/20oNpUZ) Stephen was referring to in his video (Brahma6/7 Control for Xiaomi Yi). I used it in the exact same way as Stephen.

But now, I ran into an issue. I bought a cheap Android phone (Cubot Note S, running Android 5.1) just for this app to control my 7 cams. The thing is, only 6 out of 7 are connecting to my phone. All settings (IP adresses in the app) are correct, tripple checked that. As I'm completely new to the Android "world" I have no idea how to solve this. Stephens advice to try out FoxFi resulted in the same issue (6 out of 7 connected).

I also made the following test. When 6 cams were connected, I tried to connect my Iphone (as 7th device) to the same (brahma)hotspot. When trying that, the password window came up, I entered it, and the phone says "wrong password" and didn't connect. As soon as I disconnected one camera (so now only 5 were connected), the Iphone was able to connect (as 6th device) to the brahma hotspot (regardless using FoxFi or the onboard tethering hotspot option).

So, as an Android noob, it seems that my phone is somehow limited to 6 clients. Is that possible? Is there any way around that? What phones are you using for your brahma6/7 rigs? Is it possible, that the script in this current version only supports 6 cams? Maybe the way Stephen explains it in the video, doesn't work with current script for the Brahma7? Is there any Video showing 7 cams working with the app? Again, I really have no idea and I don't know how to fix that.

Any help or input on this would be great to get my Brahma7 rig running. Keep up the great work.

Best regards
Christian

Last edited:
Hi Forum.

I finally received my Xiaomi cams to build my Brahma7 rig. So far everything worked out perfectly (Wifi script, 1600x1200 script). I used the zip file (http://bit.ly/20oNpUZ) Stephen was referring to in his video (Brahma6/7 Control for Xiaomi Yi). I used it in the exact same way as Stephen.

But now, I ran into an issue. I bought a cheap Android phone (Cubot Note S, running Android 5.1) just for this app to control my 7 cams. The thing is, only 6 out of 7 are connecting to my phone. All settings (IP adresses in the app) are correct, tripple checked that. As I'm completely new to the Android "world" I have no idea how to solve this. Stephens advice to try out FoxFi resulted in the same issue (6 out of 7 connected).

I also made the following test. When 6 cams were connected, I tried to connect my Iphone (as 7th device) to the same (brahma)hotspot. When trying that, the password window came up, I entered it, and the phone says "wrong password" and didn't connect. As soon as I disconnected one camera (so now only 5 were connected), the Iphone was able to connect (as 6th device) to the brahma hotspot (regardless using FoxFi or the onboard tethering hotspot option).

So, as an Android noob, it seems that my phone is somehow limited to 6 clients. Is that possible? Is there any way around that? What phones are you using for your brahma6/7 rigs? Is it possible, that the script in this current version only supports 6 cams? Maybe the way Stephen explains it in the video, doesn't work with current script for the Brahma7? Is there any Video showing 7 cams working with the app? Again, I really have no idea and I don't know how to fix that.

Any help or input on this would be great to get my Brahma7 rig running. Keep up the great work.

Best regards
Christian

Well, I also asked the manufacturer (Cubot) why the maximum number of devices is limited to 6 (on the Cubot Note S). The reply: "Hi,sorry it can't be changed,the network will be unstable if many clients use the hotspot".

So it seems that there are some limitations from manufacturers regarding tethering out there. Before I look any further into another phone, could someone test this with other phones if there are more than 6 tethered devices possible? For example by connecting 6 Xiaomi cams + another phone to the same hotspot?

I guess that should be tested and maybe a list of the devices would be helpful for upcoming users. I will try some other phones (from friends) regarding this issue, and will report back.

So, to start the list, I can safely add:
Cubot Note S (Android 5.1) -> 6 cams YES; 6+ cams NO;

Is there a way to setup the cams, the phone and the app using a (battery powered) wifi router? I mean, setting up a wifi router that creates a hotspot; the cams and the phone log-in into that hotspot? Would that be possible? Is there any script available that would support that (sorry, I'm by no means a programmer)? Would love to hear your input on this.

Thanks
Christian

Well, I also asked the manufacturer (Cubot) why the maximum number of devices is limited to 6 (on the Cubot Note S). The reply: "Hi,sorry it can't be changed,the network will be unstable if many clients use the hotspot".

So it seems that there are some limitations from manufacturers regarding tethering out there. Before I look any further into another phone, could someone test this with other phones if there are more than 6 tethered devices possible? For example by connecting 6 Xiaomi cams + another phone to the same hotspot?

I guess that should be tested and maybe a list of the devices would be helpful for upcoming users. I will try some other phones (from friends) regarding this issue, and will report back.

So, to start the list, I can safely add:
Cubot Note S (Android 5.1) -> 6 cams YES; 6+ cams NO;

Is there a way to setup the cams, the phone and the app using a (battery powered) wifi router? I mean, setting up a wifi router that creates a hotspot; the cams and the phone log-in into that hotspot? Would that be possible? Is there any script available that would support that (sorry, I'm by no means a programmer)? Would love to hear your input on this.

Thanks
Christian
Use mifi or portable router,....

Use mifi or portable router,....
Yes, a portable router came also to my mind. As I said before - I'm absolutley no programmer. Is there any script available (to download) to get this "thing" running using a portable router? What do I have to alter from the current script (I'm using these files right now from Stephens Video: http://bit.ly/20oNpUZ).

Any help on this one would be great. Can't wait to finally get my Brahma7 rig up and running.

Ok, tested two devices, both seem to work.
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact (Android 5.1.1) - up to 10 connections
Huawei T1-A21L (Android 4.4.4) - works with 7 cams (tested; Brahma7 App running; both Video and Photo)

I'm fine with this for now ;-)

Yes, a portable router came also to my mind. As I said before - I'm absolutley no programmer. Is there any script available (to download) to get this "thing" running using a portable router? What do I have to alter from the current script (I'm using these files right now from Stephens Video ).

Any help on this one would be great. Can't wait to finally get my Brahma7 rig up and running.

ok,... i am use ponerineS for setting up and change all the YiCams to WiFi station mode one by one, and use ponerineM or Brahma Alpha, for triggering all Yicam,.....

Hello.
Thanks for your app. It all works well.
I needed some Times but it comes.
Thank you, I hope you keep on growing the app great job
My problem currently is that sometimes not all cameras combine. And then you have to turn off the camera and turn on.
thanks Achim

Last edited:
Hi!
I use Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 for connection to rig cameras. And I have aproblem, similar to pano_ramic one. But my smartphone able to connect only to 5 cameras, not to 6. Who knows, its restrictions of this phone model?

Hello guys,
I need some help, nor about the application, but about the making 360 videos. If its possible, please help me.
So..I bought a Brahma Brahma-6 Mark Two For Xiaomi Yi, and this thing is awesome (thank you!).
I use with six Yi cameras, and with the Brahma Mobile App (Thank you so much, itsd amazing!).
For the stiching I downloaded the Autopano Video Pro demo, and its working. But the problem is, the video is skew aproximately 45 degrees. I dont know why. Any idea?
The sample video is here:
Thank you very much if you have a suggestion.

Hi Forum,

New to this and have built the Brahma 7 (using U.S. Edition cameras) and loaded app on my Nexus 6p but cannot seem to get phone and app connected. Has anyone had success with either of these (US XioaMi's and/or Nexus 6p-Marshmellow)?

.. And I'm back -

Work and life commitments have kept me away from the joys of coding and creating this awesome app.
New version is about to come out - lots of bug fixes code cleanup optimisations now in place!
(Also Logo brand change with V6 of the app - encase your like where has the app gone..)

Steve has also been working on his mobile app which will be released shortly if it hasn't already go check out his video - supporting git2 and xiaomi cams across desktop, ios and android..
- Yes.. Jealous I haven't had the time to devote to this app like him.

But go check out his video and live demo over at youtube.

Back