0807 Review (Skyhigh)

CheckYourLights

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Front&Rear-SH800/ Front 2nd Vico-Opia 2
Today we are looking at a Mini 0807 kindly provided by Joy over at Skyhigh.
HJg41oz.jpg

Package Includes
Camera
GPS Mount
Car to Micro B USB lead
PC to Micro B USB lead
OBD II to proprietary lead (GPS bracket has both ports)
Two extra generic double sided mounts
Lens cleaning cloth
Cable clips

Unboxing Video

Hardware
Chipset: Ambarella A7LA50
CMOS: Sony IMX322
Battery: Supercap
USB Plug: Micro B
OBD II Plug: Proprietary

Firmware
Resolution: 1920X1080
Screen Off: 10/20/30 seconds or Button
Loop:1,3,5 Mins (Also loops between card A and B)
WDR: Has its own menu setting for Off/On
GPS Stamp: Off/On
Speed Stamp: Off/ On
GPS Off/On
Speed Unit: Km/h/ MpH
Parking Gaurd Mode: Off/ Pree Record/ Low Frame/ Normal
Senior Setting: Not sure
Beep Sound: Off/On (Beep sound is very loud and annoying)
Version: DVR20160312 MCU20160310

File Properties
Audio Chanel: Stero
Audio Codec: MP4A
Audio Bitrate: 128kbps
Video Codec: AVC1
Video Container: MP4
Video Bitrate: 8980kbps (Roughly 9Mb)
Size: 80.1 Mb (Per 1 min file)

Card Used: Samsung Evo Class 10
Projected Recording Time: 64.7 Hours with max 128GB X 2 cards

Last edited:
Day
TEDr82q.png

I had it set to GPS on, Speed Stamp on, and GPS Stamp off, but it still displayed my GPS location and not my speed. Also don't think I can turn the little corvette doing a wheelie off.

GPS Seems to be working correctly. I had it on with stamps off, and it shows up in Registrator Viewer.

Last edited:
Night Video
Tried to get some, but camera ended up not recording. See notes below.

Last edited:
Notes

Initial tests in my room show a bitrate of 8980kbps Going to have to talk to Joy about this since she mentioned 12. Edit the camera uses VBR and works out as fallows.

Code:
super quality
avg    min   max
1920x1080 30p   12000000      9000000     15000000
1280x720  60p   12000000      9000000     15000000
1280x720  30p   8000000       6000000     10000000

normal quality
avg    min  max
1920x1080 30p   10000000      7500000     12500000
1280x720  60p   9000000       6750000     11250000
1280x720  30p   6000000       4500000     7500000

Mentioned to them about keeping things constant since a lot of my files seemed to be at 9MB

As mentioned above the beep on noise is rather loud and annoying.

For some reason in my unbox video I though the wheel click was around the power button. It is a little up and down clicker. It can make putting a plate stamp in and fixing the time if need be tough on the finger used.

The power button will turn the screen off and on, but does not seem to power the camera off. I have to unplug it to get it to turn off. Edit Found out this is done on purpose because it uses a super cap

I have the camera set to GPS on, but GPS stamp off and the GPS still seems to display on the video. EDIT This is a bug and will be addressed in a new firmware update. I'll post video once this is fixed.

Just flashed a firmware that should fix this

When the mic audio is on a blue light comes on under the button. Making the button display a half blue half red light. Really not a fan of that as it might get me pulled over at night.

The pins are also smaller so the mounts are not swapable from other Mini cameras.
5LBJwpZm.jpg

I've been having large gaps in footage. I am trying to figure out what's going on and then hope to get some posted. The camera never seems to turn off, but when I got home big bits of footage were just missing.

n2Best0.png

As you can see the camera just decided to turn off. A lot of my trip to the store is missing.

Every time I happened to look at the camera it seem to be on and display a speed like this
1gpts64m.jpg

I was using a PNY 128GB card card to run the tests I'll try a 64GB card and the OBD II cable and see what happens.

Last edited:
Okay. I don't like to double post often, but this camera has been a mess. I really hope it is just my unit or my car, but I think it might be something else

First I tried the included car to USB cord, and the camera would cut out. It caused about an hour and a half worth of footage to be lost. So I tried the OBD II cord. I was excited because I hoped this would give me parking protection in my Legacy. A car that cuts power to the USB and ACC ports when the car is off. Sadly it did not go well .

First I turned parking guard mode to Normal. I took this to mean that the camera would run constant while the car was off. This was strike one. The camera turns off when I turn my car off. (There is also the parking guard menu choice of OFf) So I turned it to Pre-Record I thought this meant that once motion was detected it would save 5 seconds before and during the motion. However it only seemed to work when I bumped the camera by hand.
Then I tried Low Frame Mode. This seems to speed up the video, and it still feels hit or miss only recording when it sees something.

Even after all that I left it in I think Low Frame Mode with my car running at dusk and went for a drive for about 35 mins. Along with only capturing footage when the camera felt like it the Mini recorded NONE of the drive.

I really hope we can get this sorted because I would love to have correct parking protection for my car, but as it stands now the camera is extremely unreliable, and I am very disappointed. On top of that during the evening ride the camera kept rebooting and turning off, but never recorded anything, and even though the GPS is on and Registrator Viewer displays my location I set my GPS stamp off and Speed stamp on and my speed never shows on my video

This is not what I want to hear.
I am waiting for this to be released, as I don't want to spend money on a 0805 and then the 0807 be released shortly after.

Night Video
Tried to get some, but camera ended up not recording. See notes below.
I happened to have a MeHome MC1 I am in the middle of working with pointed a little to far over, and you can see that the Mini is on, and the screen saver is showing part of my speed.

8AAYjMe.png

However the card did not record anything past 18:23 except when I pulled in at a gas station and turned my car off and back on it recorded about 12 seconds and turned off again.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the review from CheckYourLights. It is very helpful for us to improve our quality . Here I make a summary comments. 1.Some bugs and we have solved .2. Some comments like mode of parking guards are different understanding from us and CheckYourLights 3.some problems we should double check again and see if it is hardware or software .

See details as below,

Bugs solved

1. I had it set to GPS on, Speed Stamp on, and GPS Stamp off, but it still displayed my GPS location and not my speed.

2. beep on noise is rather loud and annoying. Make it off as default

3. .Also seems to not turn on at first all the time. Because use super capacitor, camera need to charge a little time to start.

Parking mode comments (For all modes ,When car is turn off ,screen showing word”stop” and alarm sound then will record one mins video) .

1. We use G-sensor for this function ,not motion detection ,so that is why when motion, camera can not record . But we also can use motion as boot reason. .This depends on which customers like , we will see in future .

2. We use 1fts/second for parking guard function, that is why the video seems speed up. Why use 1fts/second .This is to save the space of the Mirco card and its life.

3.Parking mode
A. Normal : The camera turns off when car was turn off. It will not record anything till some hit happen. When hit happen , it will appear word“stop” on screen and alarm sound and record 1mins (This video is locked and one second one frame).

B. Pre-record: The camera turns off when car was turn off. But red light is on , when hit occur, it will appear word“stop” on screen and alarm sound and record about 15 seconds video before and after hit ,total about 30 seconds video ,red light is blinking (This video is locked and one second one frame).

C.Low Frame mode: When parking, camera will start loop recording in low Fps status (1fps/second). Once unexpected shocks or collision is detected, camera will auto start to record a normal fps (1fps/30 or 60 seconds according to the using resolution ) emergency about 15 secondes video immediately, and this video file will be locked automatically. camera will go back to low fps recording if the crisis is resolved.

D. Off mode is same as normal.

Some problems ,
1. Lost video for 128GB and 64Gb MicroSD we are checking this with CheckYourLights .

2. USB car charge and OBD turn on or off , we sent latest firmware for MCU and GPS and DVR firmware to CheckYourlight and see how it works .

We are doing our best to solve all the problems , thanks everyone to be patient with us!

What is the advantage of a OBD II port?
I thought you could get some info about speed or RPM as a stamp in picture, but i understand it's still using GPS for speed and not the OBD II info?

What is the advantage of a OBD II port?
I thought you could get some info about speed or RPM as a stamp in picture, but i understand it's still using GPS for speed and not the OBD II info?

it's just a convenient way to connect power

Exept that I drive a Ford and the connection is placed next to the steering wheel, lost below the fan blower, behind a drawer.

http://s1063.photobucket.com/user/SpinKix/media/2-IMG_6176.jpg.html

yeah it won't work for a lot of cars, personally I would never use this type of connection anyway, can just imagine going to the dealer for service with some issue and them blaming your OBD power connection for your problems and having to fight it out with the dealer, no thanks

yeah it won't work for a lot of cars, personally I would never use this type of connection anyway, can just imagine going to the dealer for service with some issue and them blaming your OBD power connection for your problems and having to fight it out with the dealer, no thanks

Mini 0807 RAW : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bm8dei9rucptzsm/06191349_0006.rar?dl=1

Mbps rate is slightly lower, Ambarella A7 processor should have been better?

Xiaomi yi same processor ( Ambarella A7 ) and 22 Mpbs I dont understand :)
Mini 0807 10 or 12 Mpbs

@CheckYourLights
My sample works great except OOF issue.
No missing files.
Check your ro folder for triggered files.

I'll check your video in computer screen for OOF later.

@CheckYourLights
My sample works great except OOF issue.
No missing files.
Check your ro folder for triggered files.

I'll check your video in computer screen for OOF later.
Are you you running the latest firmware:

http://www.skyhigh-global.com/En/Down.aspx?UserInfo_ID=862928

I'm still testing my unit from estore009. Windshield repair due to a stone chip has had me out of commission for a week.

I'm running the latest firmware and preparing a comprehensive review of the 0807.

I'll mention now, that the OBD2 power connector screws up my vehicle (WK2 Jeep). While connected it somehow disables the proximity lock/unlock. Also, even with parking mode off the camera stays on. I have to stick with cigar power, thus losing the parking guard features.

For the out of focus issue do you plan to open the unit? If you do please post instructions.. ha

Back