Best low light,night vision Action Cam or Dashcam 2016

sydney2218

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
mobius 1
Any views on what model now excels at night ? Thanks

for action cam that would probably be the GitUp Git1, the IMX322 sensor is good in low light situations

for action cam that would probably be the GitUp Git1, the IMX322 sensor is good in low light situations
The Git1 makes a good dashcam too, although it has a battery and so maybe not the best for daytime in Australia. Not heard of any overheating issues though and it is one of the more efficient cameras on power consumption so shouldn't get as hot as most.

The Git1 makes a good dashcam too, although it has a battery and so maybe not the best for daytime in Australia. Not heard of any overheating issues though and it is one of the more efficient cameras on power consumption so shouldn't get as hot as most.

for our climate I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent solution but for occasional use it would certainly do the job

for our climate I wouldn't suggest it as a permanent solution but for occasional use it would certainly do the job
My dashcams are mounted on an Arkon weighted bean bag style pad & taken off the dashboard when not driving so they are not "cooked" in the sun. So far the Mobius battery models are going well after a few years but the Innovv C1 has probably been affected as it does not record.

My dashcams are mounted on an Arkon weighted bean bag style pad & taken off the dashboard when not driving so they are not "cooked" in the sun. So far the Mobius battery models are going well after a few years but the Innovv C1 has probably been affected as it does not record.
even if you have the aircon running, a camera sitting on the dash while driving during the day will still get cooked. i just about killed an old smartphone using it as a dashcam. yes, using it as a video camera made it heat up, but having it sit directly in the sun got it hot enough to turn itself off via thermal protection.

Supercapacitors now installed. And one is mounted on the passenger headrest post aswell as removable dashcam base on dashboard.

Supercapacitors now installed. And one is mounted on the passenger headrest post aswell as removable dashcam base on dashboard.
supercaps in the git1? do tell! and a picture is worth... lots of words. ;) but if you do share, please put it in the Git1 forum, not just general action cam area.

supercaps in the git1? do tell! and a picture is worth... lots of words. ;) but if you do share, please put it in the Git1 forum, not just general action cam area.
Mobius . Sorry now off topic ,first time poster.

I put supercaps in my Git1, it didn't work! So I put my supercap battery in my Git2, and that did work but doesn't seem to check for low voltage often enough and occasionally doesn't shut down in time. Not sure what was wrong on the Git1, it just behaved like there wasn't a battery plugged in although it did charge the super capacitors to the correct voltage so I don't know how it could tell the difference between battery and super cap battery.

It's quite easy to do if you want to try, just peel the label off a worn out SJCAM battery (Gitup ones don't seem to wear out!), remove the lipo packet from inside leaving the wires in place (looks like most small lipo packets, as used in mini series cameras, small RC helicopters etc), place two 2.7v 5farad capacitors in place of the lipo, connect them in series to the original lipo + and - wires and put a new cover on the case. When you buy the capacitors check the length and diameter, the diameter is a bit tight for most but the length is a nice fit, mine were just a little bit too fat to put a new cover on the case without removing the covers from the caps first which is not a good idea as the caps cases will then short together unless you add some insulation between them. The result looked very neat, but didn't work.

Hello . I have a d.v.r and i am not able to reset the system to factory default standalone branded Muiltstar model DC 7708 serial 085731335777 . The password was changed and has been forgetten . Please help .

If I needed to choose an action camera right now, to use as a dashcam, what would theses days be the best option for, say, 60 USD or less? I've been chasing Gitup Git1, not found.

Reliability, sharpness, and low light are key, obviously... Doesn't HAVE to be 1080/60fps, but would be nice. 1080/30 should do just fine, 4k, 2.7k mwah... not so needed.

If I needed to choose an action camera right now, to use as a dashcam, what would theses days be the best option for, say, 60 USD or less? I've been chasing Gitup Git1, not found.

Reliability, sharpness, and low light are key, obviously... Doesn't HAVE to be 1080/60fps, but would be nice. 1080/30 should do just fine, 4k, 2.7k mwah... not so needed.
Since the time when the Git1 was new, all action cameras have moved to fake 4K and now real 4K, small pixels and low sensitivity, none of them currently have sensors designed for low light.

Dashcams have moved the other way to improved low light sensors with less resolution and big pixels for high sensitivity and night time recording. There is now a big difference between the best action cameras and the best dashcams, and between cheap action cameras and cheap dashcams, when using them for dashcam use.

You can currently get a Blueskysea B1W dashcam for $50 with the same sensor as the Git1 but a cheaper processor. For a bit more you can get a Viofo WR1 with the same sensor and same processor as the Git1. They are both decent dashcams, although not the latest in sensor technoloty; neither are much use as an action camera though, they don't have batteries or LCD screens.

If you want an action camera for dashcam use, the best option I can think of currently is the Gitup F1, but that is double your budget. All the cheaper ones seem to either use the same not very sensitive sensor which results in a lot more motion blur during daylight and blurry images at night, or don't have dashcam features like auto start recording at power on. For bike use I would go for the Gitup G3, which has the option of a 2nd sensor for 2 channel video, however it is a daytime action camera, not good as a night time dashcam.

I made a video yesterday, Gitup F1 action camera (Sony IMX317 4K sensor) against mini 0906 dashcam (Sony IMX291 Starvis 1080 sensor); for a lot of the video I can't see much difference, when played at Full HD resolution; they are remarkably similar on exposure despite also being Amberella against Novatek processors. The main difference is that the F1 has about twice the motion blur near the edges of the image which in low light or at high speed makes a significant difference.

The F1 is 4K though while the 0906 is Full HD, so you can zoom in x2 on the F1 and still have full detail when displayed at Full HD resolution, and then there is a significant difference! Also the motion blur becomes insignificant since having zoomed in you are looking at things at twice the distance so their motion across the image is considerably reduced.

Gitup F1 bottom (with medium sharpening!), Mini 0906 top:
y4mbme6r--Tb_7s9giNYfSlsmqphTPIv55fBr3n8SwBx7U3e_Mq6uvY4gZGzKg_XiJGQC2tXLAKIzCQtHh2T7k5tBUxf7jhH5cLEYG_lbBs4m5z-qrdjsXj5gMcjw6qmg5D8l8jkjtYaPJBcr4DjstFRl0QQky7qiRaRJsKxgJEQ4ADd3a7V9rTaXd52VCKbycjAuYbxl2C8Xi1CMjdEVbisw

These two videos are the Gitup F1 4K action camera at bottom against Mini 0906 Starvis dash camera at top, the first video showing the full field of view uploaded at 1080 resolution, the 2nd video zoomed in x2 to show the central 1/4 image and uploaded at 1080 resolution. Obviously you need to watch in HD to see the differences.

Difficult lighting conditions for any camera with a low November sun and strong shadows under trees and with a bit of rain and a wet road!

Last edited:
Back