Poor video quality?

Tomas123

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys, recently I got the Xiaomi dashcam and it seems the quality isn't that great although its recorded 1080/60... Even on my pc, the raw file doesn't look as good, I can't even read number plates...

I don't know what I am doing wrong...

Or is this how the quality should be....?

What setting(s) do you guys use?

Here is the footage on youtube:

Here is a raw download of the same footage: (434 mb) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49PsEbPAt0gVTlzU0YwUTFJMk0/view?usp=docslist_api

Btw I flashed the english firmware on this chinese version if that matters (AndrewL).

wow that scooter at 17:31:40!
Your sensor seems a bit wavy when you're stopped at the red light (00:45-1:00), unless you're playing around with the cam there
I would probably try the 1080/30 settings and see how it goes. The lens focus looks sharp but the video looks a bit grainy/pixelated.

Well your video kinda looks a tiny bit worse for focus compared to the video I pulled from my own Yi cam with us firmware flashed from Chinese. Can you upload a night time driving clip to compare, I think it's the heat that kills the camera video quality and of course not so hot at night!!

Also do you have a CPL filter cuz I can see the reflections from the dash. There is slight enhancement with CPL filter in that it eliminates reflection to provide unobstructed video viewing

wow that scooter at 17:31:40!
Your sensor seems a bit wavy when you're stopped at the red light (00:45-1:00), unless you're playing around with the cam there
I would probably try the 1080/30 settings and see how it goes. The lens focus looks sharp but the video looks a bit grainy/pixelated.
Yeah it looks pixelated. I'll try the 1080/30 today and will upload tonight, the shakyness is probably because I have a subwoofer and like music. Most of the time it doesn't shake.

Well your video kinda looks a tiny bit worse for focus compared to the video I pulled from my own Yi cam with us firmware flashed from Chinese. Can you upload a night time driving clip to compare, I think it's the heat that kills the camera video quality and of course not so hot at night!!

Also do you have a CPL filter cuz I can see the reflections from the dash. There is slight enhancement with CPL filter in that it eliminates reflection to provide unobstructed video viewing
Hi, thanks for your reply, I will upload a night time clip tonight. What do you mean with the heat as its pretty cold here 10-15 celsius... I don't have a CPL filter, i am looking into that later, the quality annoys me the most, the reflection not really.

night time driving clip here

Hi guys, recently I got the Xiaomi dashcam and it seems the quality isn't that great although its recorded 1080/60... Even on my pc, the raw file doesn't look as good, I can't even read number plates...

I don't know what I am doing wrong...

Or is this how the quality should be....?

What setting(s) do you guys use?

Here is the footage on youtube:

Here is a raw download of the same footage: (434 mb) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B49PsEbPAt0gVTlzU0YwUTFJMk0/view?usp=docslist_api

Btw I flashed the english firmware on this chinese version if that matters (AndrewL).
1080/30 from today... doesn't seem better....

I think it would help to compare video across different Yi dash cam. YouTube processing causes slight focus loss but this is as close to the actual video as I can get. Attached is my video taken today after 3 weeks owning cam, it was in the sun for 1.5 hours at 81 degrees Fahrenheit/27 degrees Celsius, no AC, fan is blowing on low.

Compare to your video, I think we are similar but it's still subjective. My Yi is the Chinese version from Gearbest with latest US firmware.

If you open this same 30 second emergency video on YouTube app it becomes focused almost the same as with the raw file that the Yi dash cam gives out. For the example: around 7 second mark, the KFC sign says: Try Our $5 Fill Up! Easier to see in YouTube app, select 1080p.

In both raw and YouTube video, you can't see any license plates :(

Last edited:

I think it would help to compare video across different Yi dash cam. YouTube processing causes slight focus loss but this is as close to the actual video as I can get. Attached is my video taken today after 3 weeks owning cam, it was in the sun for 1.5 hours at 81 degrees Fahrenheit/27 degrees Celsius, no AC, fan is blowing on low.

Compare to your video, I think we are similar but it's still subjective. My Yi is the Chinese version from Gearbest with latest US firmware.

If you open this same 30 second emergency video on YouTube app it becomes focused almost the same as with the raw file that the Yi dash cam gives out. For the example: around 7 second mark, the KFC sign says: Try Our $5 Fill Up! Easier to see in YouTube app, select 1080p.

In both raw and YouTube video, you can't see any license plates :(
In my country its pretty cold so doubt that is the issue..

night time driving clip here
201651b1cf8f-2194-41db-b3c7-38e60c8774cb.png

The sentense is: This is a private video. :)

[QUOTE="thancam, post: 249688 The sentense is: This is a private video. :)[/QUOTE]
Troi oi anh biet doc tieng viet da qua huehuehue I see "This video is private" when i try to watching it.

[QUOTE="thancam, post: 249688 The sentense is: This is a private video. :)
Troi oi anh biet doc tieng viet da qua huehuehue I see "This video is private" when i try to watching it.[/QUOTE]
yeah, I am vietnamese. Sure I can read vietnamese. :)

1080/30 from today... doesn't seem better....

I think the Yi is meant to be 20mbps but there is so much blocking here, especially at 2:06 under the trees. What is the actual bitrate? In VLC player it's under Tools -> Media Information -> Statistics tab

I think the Yi is meant to be 20mbps but there is so much blocking here, especially at 2:06 under the trees. What is the actual bitrate? In VLC player it's under Tools -> Media Information -> Statistics tab
its jumps from 3 mb to 28 mb while playing

Back