SJCam SJ5000x Elite Rattle

kyoo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone else having sound issues with their SJCAM? Mine is making electric/buzzing noises similar to what I got rid of my M10+ for. I have the May 11 2016 update (latest).

Happens intermittently throughout the video - everything is securely mounted - especially prominent at the end. Have not purchased an issue-free camera from this manufacturer - seriously.

Could it be one of the settings I have turned on? Wifi is off, as is Gyro, but WDR is on, etc.

Or here - it doesn't happen the whole video - then starts at 50s, then gets really bad at 58s

Here's a video I took JUST now - no case, just shaking the camera while recording:

I bought this camera in February from B&H photo - will SJCAM be willing to replace it? We'll see here how their customer services compares to shops like Go Pro

::

Got my answer to this - SJCAM does NOT honor any kind of "warranty" if you do not purchase directly from their website - anywhere else you buy it, you are SOL - if there is a product malfunction, you get a big fat nothing. SJCAM suggested that I ship the camera to China at my cost, get it repaired by them at my cost, and expect this process to take ~30 days - NOT acceptable!

Last edited:
I bought this camera in February from B&H photo - will SJCAM be willing to replace it? We'll see here how their customer services compares to shops like Go Pro

better to take it up with B&H photo, previous reports suggest their customer service is quite good, I think @TeriTerryTarry may have dealt with them previously and if so might be able to offer some feedback on their customer service

yeah I will give it a shot - SJCAM is obviously not standing by their product

SJCAM does NOT honor any kind of "warranty" if you do not purchase directly from their website - anywhere else you buy it, you are SOL - if there is a product malfunction, you get a big fat nothing. SJCAM suggested that I ship the camera to China at my cost, get it repaired by them at my cost, and expect this process to take ~30 days - NOT acceptable!

yeah I will give it a shot - SJCAM is obviously not standing by their product

SJCAM does NOT honor any kind of "warranty" if you do not purchase directly from their website - anywhere else you buy it, you are SOL - if there is a product malfunction, you get a big fat nothing. SJCAM suggested that I ship the camera to China at my cost, get it repaired by them at my cost, and expect this process to take ~30 days - NOT acceptable!
I've had no problems at all returning defective merchandise to B&H Photo Video BUT I've only returned items within the first 30 days so I'm not sure how they handle it beyond that time. Also they required the original packaging to be included with the return - again not a problem for me. They've always been responsive to my customer service inquiries at any time so I'm certain you'll be able to at least start a dialog and get some answers. Unfortunately my experience with SJCam has also been disappointing.

I've had no problems at all returning defective merchandise to B&H Photo Video BUT I've only returned items within the first 30 days so I'm not sure how they handle it beyond that time. Also they required the original packaging to be included with the return - again not a problem for me. They've always been responsive to my customer service inquiries at any time so I'm certain you'll be able to at least start a dialog and get some answers. Unfortunately my experience with SJCam has also been disappointing.

Thanks - B&H has been good on their part, at least for what they can do post 30-day window. They asked for my case # wit SJCAM and they are reaching out to them themselves to see what can be done.

Frustrating. Have had sound issues on the M10+ as well as the SJ4000 and SJ5000 - maybe the build quality is just not good enough for being mounted to a car.

Try putting some tape over the buttons to see if it is them that is rattling, if not then you could open it up and check that there is nothing loose, the speaker in mine is not firmly attached and there are a few wires which might possibly rattle, a blob of hot glue would cure those easily if they were the cause.

Of course that will void your warrantee!

Nice to see a USA video where the vehicles don't loose control and roll over as soon as the driver steers sharply or hits the brakes!

lol - thanks for the input Nigel!

Try putting some tape over the buttons to see if it is them that is rattling, if not then you could open it up and check that there is nothing loose, the speaker in mine is not firmly attached and there are a few wires which might possibly rattle, a blob of hot glue would cure those easily if they were the cause.

Of course that will void your warrantee!

Nice to see a USA video where the vehicles don't loose control and roll over as soon as the driver steers sharply or hits the brakes!
Well it is a Mini - a German car with a British name!;) But the driver is American and a damn good one at that!:) Well done kyoo!:D
Besides Nigel, what are you implying about American drivers and cars? We have a great history of cars with excellent handling!
:)

Well it is a Mini - a German car with a British name!;) But the driver is American and a damn good one at that!:) Well done kyoo!:D
Besides Nigel, what are you implying about American drivers and cars? We have a great history of cars with excellent handling!
:)
Minis are not made in Germany, just financed by Germany, a few are Austrian but most are made in Oxford, UK.

Surely you cant roll something as big and flat as that Lincoln? I wasn't saying anything about American cars or drivers, only about the videos that get posted here. Most of the rollover videos that get posted appear to be USA pickup trucks, but the USA cars don't appear to handle much better, but maybe judging them just by watching what gets posted here does not give an accurate view!

You're quite right about pickup trucks here. The high center of gravity is a killer!:(

FYI guys an update - B&H Photo is working their butts off to take care of me....
My experience is that B&H and Street Guardian are cut from the same cloth. Both are excellent to work with.

I agree - I wouldn't "count" on them for this, this is above and beyond on their part. the real point here is SJCAM's lack of warranty for vendor purchased cameras, and even with it, the headache that is shipping things back and forth from China. If they want to be a major, legitimate player here, sooner or later they need to set up shop in the USA and also back their products like most manufacturers do in this country.

I agree - I wouldn't "count" on them for this, this is above and beyond on their part. the real point here is SJCAM's lack of warranty for vendor purchased cameras, and even with it, the headache that is shipping things back and forth from China. If they want to be a major, legitimate player here, sooner or later they need to set up shop in the USA and also back their products like most manufacturers do in this country.
There might come a time when good, reputable sellers like B&H will grow tired of dealing with SJCam. Seeing their vendor network shrink and their sales decrease might be the only way SJCam will learn their lesson - but I doubt it.

There might come a time when good, reputable sellers like B&H will grow tired of dealing with SJCam. Seeing their vendor network shrink and their sales decrease might be the only way SJCam will learn their lesson - but I doubt it.

I'm not trying to defend SJCAM here, but I'm confused..

When you bought an item from a store (like B&H), and it's from one brand, the warranty will be covered by that brand?

Because in where I live, whenever there isn't any Official brand representatives present at my country, the warranty should be covered by the distributors or stores directly.

I know someone who own a store here that bought the items (SJCAM cameras) directly from vendors SJCAM.
He gave warranty for everyone who bought the camera from him, and he will then return the faulty camera back to SJCAM to get replacement.

So I never thought that SJCAM will cover any items that isn't bought directly from its store, especially, when there isn't any official representatives present at your country.

typically in the USA, no matter the retailer, the manufacturer offers like a 1 year limited warranty, something like that.

When you bought an item from a store (like B&H), and it's from one brand, the warranty will be covered by that brand?

Because in where I live, whenever there isn't any Official brand representatives present at my country, the warranty should be covered by the distributors or stores directly.

I know someone who own a store here that bought the items (SJCAM cameras) directly from vendors SJCAM.
He gave warranty for everyone who bought the camera from him, and he will then return the faulty camera back to SJCAM to get replacement.

So I never thought that SJCAM will cover any items that isn't bought directly from its store, especially, when there isn't any official representatives present at your country.
In the US it's common practice with consumer electronics and many other items to deal directly with manufacturers on warranty issues after the period for returning to the seller - usually 30 days but up to 90 days - has expired. This information is spelled out on the B&H website. The average consumer wouldn't know whether or not a manufacturer has a presence in the country and because it's common practice wouldn't try to investigate it. It's impossible to know for sure what the formal contractual agreement between B&H and SJCam is regarding warranty issues. DCT member kyoo has unfortunately been caught between a rock and a hard place.

this is the standard arrangement

standard arrangement in countries besides the USA.

Again, I would expect a high quality company to adhere to the standards of business in the country it sells its products, not its own. You know how many products are sold in the USA that are made outside the country? It would be utter chaos if each of those companies all stuck to their own country's policies regarding warranties.

Basically the point is this - if you live in the USA, just know that SJCAM will not warranty your product unless you buy it from their website. And even if you do buy it from their website, expect that they charge you for the repair, the shipping, and that it will take 30 days to get your camera back.

And let's not get away from the fact that, basically the camera they sold me is a POS! How does this kind of thing make it through QC...

Let's also not forget this gem of an issue I had with the M10 as well: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/m10-2k-gyro-noise.17425/

Last edited:
typically in the USA, no matter the retailer, the manufacturer offers like a 1 year limited warranty, something like that.

In the US it's common practice with consumer electronics and many other items to deal directly with manufacturers on warranty issues after the period for returning to the seller - usually 30 days but up to 90 days - has expired. This information is spelled out on the B&H website. The average consumer wouldn't know whether or not a manufacturer has a presence in the country and because it's common practice wouldn't try to investigate it. It's impossible to know for sure what the formal contractual agreement between B&H and SJCam is regarding warranty issues. DCT member kyoo has unfortunately been caught between a rock and a hard place.

standard arrangement in countries besides the USA.

Again, I would expect a high quality company to adhere to the standards of business in the country it sells its products, not its own. You know how many products are sold in the USA that are made outside the country? It would be utter chaos if each of those companies all stuck to their own country's policies regarding warranties.

Basically the point is this - if you live in the USA, just know that SJCAM will not warranty your product unless you buy it from their website. And even if you do buy it from their website, expect that they charge you for the repair, the shipping, and that it will take 30 days to get your camera back.

And let's not get away from the fact that, basically the camera they sold me is a POS! How does this kind of thing make it through QC...

Let's also not forget this gem of an issue I had with the M10 as well: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/m10-2k-gyro-noise.17425/

Thanks guys. It's always great to know something new like this.

@OP: hope you get the best solution for your problems.

Cheers.

Back