What Happened Here?

MiiHere

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mobius
I'm curious to see everyone's thoughts on this and will provide a bit of info.

Time: 4:38pm (Time stamp is wrong)
Length of time it takes the bus driver to completely stop: 12 seconds

Things you miss without sound:
Me talking about how I'm slowing and waiting
The bus driver honking at me

The flashing amber lights are supposed to alert you the bus is getting ready to stop.
(Not to speed up, get ready to stop)
I'm not sure if SC has cameras in the buses?

I don't have a clue. My guess is not or I wouldn't see so many texting.

You have alot of time to stop, you broke the law by running the school bus stop sign. That's what happen, you didn't even try to slow down...

The speed limit on that road is 45mph and you can see the jeep start to pull ahead, that was me letting off the gas. Yellow only means caution and slow, which I did.

The speed limit on that road is 45mph and you can see the jeep start to pull ahead, that was me letting off the gas. Yellow only means caution and slow, which I did.
The "STOP" sign on the side of the bus means STOP.

I definitely can read.

Last edited:
Thank you. I can see this will not be an intellectual conversation.

...I can see this will not be an intellectual conversation.
For the life of me I cannot see why not.

Your video showed you passing a stopped school bus, with lights flashing, with an extended lighted stop sign, and you asked the question "What happened here?". Three different people tried to answer that question, including with links to a very simple explanation. You were wrong in what you did but appear to not want to hear that. :confused:

Last edited:
YT shows: video removed by user ?

I remember hearing something here in the UK a few years back, that while they were filming the TV show “Cagney & Lacey”, on one episode, the scene depict their car overtaking a school bus, the school bus was part of the prop in the scene but once the authorities saw/got to hear of the clip they prosecuted the driver, even though it was all part of acting

how true this is I’m not sure

removing it was probably the smartest thing he has done in this situation.

In some states the driver can push a button on the camera system, and the file gets handed to the police. SC may have an old instamatic glued to the windshield, and it takes time to process the film. :)

Much like y'all are assuming I thought I did nothing wrong (though I've not defended myself one way or the other, just provided facts,) I too assumed; that a bus taking way too long to stop, on an 8 lane highway, at 5pm, with slow and slowing traffic behind, in front of shops, with no housing within miles, was having engine trouble or lost. It just happened that when I made my final assumption and hit the gas is when the driver decided to engage their red lights.

I'd already e-mailed the bus company with an apology for misreading the situation prior to posting it. Not the least bit butt hurt or worried about a ticket. I simple could tell no one would see the situation as I did being in the drivers seat and knowing the area.

Last edited:
Highway?
I've never seen a bus with open stop sign stopping in a highway.
There is no need to stop for anything in highway, not even for stopped emergency vehicles on the side.
But I think this situation was not in a highway.

Highway 78.

Edit: I've seen a bus stop on a 2 lane highway, but in 5-6 years living here have never seen one stop on that particular highway or in that spot.

Last edited:
i have just been thinking that about a oncomming car, looked like the driver was on the phone with one hand and fending off a attacker with the other hand.

So much going on in that car i was amazed it wasent all over the damm road, but then again it did appear to drive a good deal slower than the MAX 80 km/h highway speed.

There used to be a medium size mobile home park behind that shopping center. Not sure it's still there? Will see if it shows up on google earth?
Seems like the one I thought of is gone, but there's still a small one 1/4 mile away
There used to be more residential stuff behind that shopping center. (40 years ago.) Had a friend who lived right behind it.

That shopping center also used to have a movie theater, and on the corner of remount and rivers was sort of locally famous drive-in restaurant, home of OK food and above average car hops.

:)

Back