Is the Gitup Git2 diving case reliable?

Andries

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello,
I'm going to dive next month.
About 6/8 meters deep.
Now I see a lot of posts about a leaked case.
What is your diving experience with the Git2 case?
Should I go for the GoPro diving case?

i haven't seen any posts about leaking cases. supposedly it's good to 30 meters, but i don't have a way to test that. my local swimming pool is only 2 meters deep.

Reactions: Mtz
If it is not used in wrong way or mistaken opened, our warranty will cover the the leaked issue and broken camera.

Hello,
I'm going to dive next month.
About 6/8 meters deep.
Now I see a lot of posts about a leaked case.
What is your diving experience with the Git2 case?
Should I go for the GoPro diving case?

I bought the pro package from Banggood and have tested the diving case. I found vapor inside the case after submerging for about 10 minutes while pressing the buttons to select different modes and start/stop. I have raised it up before but no one seems to take any notice.

If it is not used in wrong way or mistaken opened, our warranty will cover the the leaked issue and broken camera.

Okay that's promising. I will let you know how the diving went.

I bought the pro package from Banggood and have tested the diving case. I found vapor inside the case after submerging for about 10 minutes while pressing the buttons to select different modes and start/stop. I have raised it up before but no one seems to take any notice.

Where did the vapor come from? By pressing buttons? That's weird..

Okay that's promising. I will let you know how the diving went.

Where did the vapor come from? By pressing buttons? That's weird..

I'm not sure either, the vapor found at the inner bottom, maybe the seal isn't very good to make it air tight. I only tested it in very shallow water, less than 1m deep.

You should take into account that these cases tend to fog up, so some anti fog inserts will do wonders.

I used to dive in the Bahamas with a canon and best thing to stop fogging and get rid of vapor is either the anti-fog inserts, those moisture balls (come in tiny packets) or two diy solutions...

a little bit of toilet paper/napkins etc squashed down the side or smear the case (especially the lens part) in tooth paste, waste about 3-5 mins then rinse. Do this just before you insert the camera into the case and should eradicate fogging.

Of course the best thing to do is to leave your camera in a bucket of water outside so the camera doesn't change temperatures drastically...do this and you should be fine.

those moisture balls (come in tiny packets)
Indeed, silica gel bags are found on almost any new thing ranging from shoes and bags to high end electronics. These bags are also reusable, just use a dry heat source and it will drive the water out of them.

Indeed, silica gel bags are found on almost any new thing ranging from shoes and bags to high end electronics. These bags are also reusable, just use a dry heat source and it will drive the water out of them.
That doesn't work very well, even sitting on a radiator in my house all day I don't get the last 40% out and it is that 40% which works best, the last 40% is very slow at adsorbing moisture, much better to stick them in your microwave oven for 10-20 minutes on simmer (very low), that will get them 100% dry.

If you know the dry weight then you can use the kitchen scales to measure how much water they have inside them, otherwise keep going until they stop getting lighter and then remember that as the dry weight. Put a cup of water in the microwave too, cheap microwave ovens can overheat and kill themselves when run with no water inside, although any microwave oven should be OK on low power.

As I live somewhere which is often damp, I normally keep my cameras inside a sealed plastic box with a large bag of silica gel inside. If you start with a camera that is already full of dry air then there shouldn't really be any need to put silica gel in the waterproof case during diving, there is not a lot of spare room in the Gitup case so drying it out beforehand is easier - put the camera inside the waterproof case inside the plastic box, but leave the waterproof case door open, then close the door before removing it from the plastic box.

much better to stick them in your microwave oven for 10-20 minutes on simmer (very low), that will get them 100% dry.

I kind of have a restriction to use the kitchen tools and appliances with my hobbies, it all started with an old nVidia GTX card that needed a re-balling of the GPU and in lack of hot air or re-balling machine I used the gas oven. The next batch of cookies made in that oven were "extremely" flavored with hints of flux, burnt plastic and only god know what other goodies. :confused:

I kind of have a restriction to use the kitchen tools and appliances with my hobbies, it all started with an old nVidia GTX card that needed a re-balling of the GPU and in lack of hot air or re-balling machine I used the gas oven. The next batch of cookies made in that oven were "extremely" flavored with hints of flux, burnt plastic and only god know what other goodies. :confused:
I think your kitchen needs a new more powerful microwave, since the old one still works it can go in the shed and be used for non-cooking activities ;)

Silica gel only gives off water vapour, when I dry the big bags from my car I evaporate about 1 litre of water out of them, on a damp day in winter everything gets covered in condensation!

Back