Git2 goes diving - discussion thread

@gitup do you plan for a macro lens in the near future for you own case? would need it by mid july in germany... ;-)

I like the Gopro 40meter case. There are several macro/red/magenta adapter/filter combinations available on EBay. I like the blue fix assy.with O ring to hold the adapter snugly and the fact that you can use an included O ring for above water to seal out dust!
can you recommend a macro lens, which is easy to switch? redfilter is not needed for my purpose.

anybody tried the Backscatter FLIP4 System with 55mm +15 macro lens?
http://www.backscatter.com/sku/ff-mm.lasso

does the git2 have similar settings like gopro for narrow video mode?

I bought this adapter for Git2 and It's ok (7 €).
You will have to put some of sticky tape in the filter (between the filter and the lens) to avoid problems, but resolve this issue is very easy.

The filter is normal, you can use it but I bought an additional filter to get better results (20 €).

http://www.ebay.es/itm/401078432843?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I hope that helps.

I bought this adapter for Git2 and It's ok (7 €).
You will have to put some of sticky tape in the filter (between the filter and the lens) to avoid problems, but resolve this issue is very easy.

The filter is normal, you can use it but I bought an additional filter to get better results (20 €).

http://www.ebay.es/itm/401078432843?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I hope that helps.

thanks, but the linked filter is CPL filter and no underwater macro lens. so this does not help.

what adapter are you referring to? link?

How big is the differnce between the Gopro 4 diving housing and the Git2 housing regarding the front glas.
Will Gopro adapters fit? Did anybody try?

Not so big difference, but maybe enough for some accessories.

Gopro diving housing: 43,70x39,34mm
Git2 housing: 42,48x38,11mm

The lens cover that it's included in the dive housing box do not fit the git2, it's too big.

Best regards from Zaragoza.

Hi,
Is anyone there who knows with one's would be the initial setting for the camera when filming underwater.

I read that is better not to use any filter and apply filters in the post production process, it sounds like a good idea, but I don't have the knowledge needed to rebate it or not.

When filming with my Intova, I don't use any filter and apply it with Vegas, I'm happy with the results.

My trouble is that the git2 has more options to setup, and I don't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards from Zaragoza.

Very nice, I got one with just a macro lens in Aliexpress and got into troubles, they sent me a lens adapter not compatible with the GoPro diving housing... Fortunately I love DIY and with some help I have been able to fix it.

I saw yours and I would like to buy it, but 60€ is a bit too much right now.

About the red filter, I'll ad red in post-production in the computer, depending on the deep and the light, I have read that it's better not to use physical filters and apply them in the computer

Enviado desde mi Mi-4c mediante Tapatalk
R

Last edited:
Hi all
I have just bought Git2 for my next dive trip in November. Just reading all your comments and I am a little confused with all filters questions. For my photos taken so far I haven't used any filters as I was shooting in RAW and was always adjusting white balance in postproduction. I went through user manual for this camera and it looks like Git2 has an option to correct white balance by increasing red and decreasing blue which should do the work red filter is doing. Is there any reason to use filter instead of camera settings for WB? Are those custom white balance settings not working as expected?
I understand using Hero3+/4 housing for macro lenses, but it's not a case for me, my question is only regarding red filter.

Thanks
dgal

Hi all
I have just bought Git2 for my next dive trip in November. Just reading all your comments and I am a little confused with all filters questions. For my photos taken so far I haven't used any filters as I was shooting in RAW and was always adjusting white balance in postproduction. I went through user manual for this camera and it looks like Git2 has an option to correct white balance by increasing red and decreasing blue which should do the work red filter is doing. Is there any reason to use filter instead of camera settings for WB? Are those custom white balance settings not working as expected?
I understand using Hero3+/4 housing for macro lenses, but it's not a case for me, my question is only regarding red filter.

Thanks
dgal

Hi dgal,

in my opinion is not necessary.
I adjust the scene and all details in post production too.

However, sometimes I use filters when the things I am recording are not very important and I need go fast avoiding the post production process.

All depend of your objectives always.

Thanks jorgeser for your reply, i was rather wondering about using custom WB presets in camera to avoid postprocesing for videos (exactly same way filters are working). Am I missing some point there? Has anyone tried to use custom presets underwater without using filters and can share a video?
thanks

Thanks jorgeser for your reply, i was rather wondering about using custom WB presets in camera to avoid postprocesing for videos (exactly same way filters are working). Am I missing some point there? Has anyone tried to use custom presets underwater without using filters and can share a video?
thanks
Using the custom WB for video should work as well as adjusting WB for a raw photo since they both work on the raw image. If you adjust the WB in post production for video then you are not working on raw video and the result will not be as good, especially with big adjustments - always try to get the video as close as possible to the end result in camera and just make minor changes in post production.

Using filters can give an advantage if you are deep because there is so little red light at depth that without the filter, the correct exposure for the sensor will give a tiny amount of red requiring a huge correction and even from raw that may give poor quality. A filter ensures that with correct exposure the sensor sees a decent amount of all colours. However using a filter does mean that the correct exposure becomes very slow and since the Git2 likes to have a lot of light for good quality I'm not sure that using a filter really helps much, better to use artificial lighting if you are deep enough for there to be very little red.

The only real advantage I see to using filters is that they can be easier to adjust as you dive deeper than going through the menus.

Hi all

Thanks
dgal
Use a video light for best results except shallow then a magenta filter if in green water. The angular position of the sun overhead will also affect your image exposure.

I'm just going to start using my Git 2 underwater. In lieu of having lights and filters (at the moment), I wonder what custom WB Red and Blue settings you've found works best in the following situations:
1. Blue Ocean 10 meters
2. Blue Ocean 20 meters
3. Green water (river etc) 10 meters

Cheers

Slip-on red and magenta(green water) filters are inexpensive on Ebay.
Those made for the 40m.(no visible screws)(for Hero 4) will fit on the Git 2 case.I even found the frame sold for Hero 4 will also hold the Git 2 and match up led and button though slightly imperfectly! I 've also used the Hero 4 underwater case on my Git 2.
Gitup very cleverly designed their jewel of a cam!

Back