Exploring the Island in the Sky at Canyonlands National Park, Utah, USA.

Very cool. I was just in that are a week ago. Unfortunately I didnt have the time to visit CNP. I hit Bryce, Arches and Capital. I was taking my Mom on a retirement roadtrip and shes 70, so not as able to be rugged and do all the hiking to see what CNP offers, plus I want to spend a day at CNP and really explore it.

Very cool. I was just in that are a week ago. Unfortunately I didnt have the time to visit CNP. I hit Bryce, Arches and Capital. I was taking my Mom on a retirement roadtrip and shes 70, so not as able to be rugged and do all the hiking to see what CNP offers, plus I want to spend a day at CNP and really explore it.

The next you are at Canyonlands, the Mesa Arch definitely cannot be missed! Btw, you said you visited Bryce, Arches, and Capital? No Zion?

O yeah, if i ever got to Utah i better bring extra supplies of inhalers, i would have to walk my ass off there.

Or if possible rent a ATV to really get out there.

I still argue if you skimmed off all of Denmark above sealevel, you could put that in Utah canyons and still have plenty of those around not tainted with surplus Denmark. :D

Here we have places called " bla- bla" - valley, but its really just isage debree thats been breached with melt off from the same ice sheet.

Our valleys are aften called bla- bla Å valley, Å meaning river as there is still a little "river" there, you will find that at our town called Vejle, where some parts is called Vejle å dal ( dal beeing Danish for valley )

In the grand sceeme of things its a insult to real vallys to call our screches in the dirt valleys.

It's worse if you need inhaler. Utah is over a mile above sea level. The average is about 6100 feet or about 1.85km so people with breathing difficulties and used to lower elevation area will have some troubles with Utah.

Ha you can only get that high here if you take off in a plane, tallest spot here is like 200 M or so ( 1/8 mile in US lingo )

Ha you can only get that high here if you take off in a plane, tallest spot here is like 200 M or so ( 1/8 mile in US lingo )

You can use metric system when talking to me. I had been using the system for the longest time before migrating to the U.S :)

When you finally get a chance to explore the American Southwest, be sure to visit National Park Services website. It lists a lot of hiking trails within various parks, and distinguishes them into easy, moderate, and strenuous. That should help you decide which trail to hike, especially you have breathing problems.

O yeah, if i ever got to Utah i better bring extra supplies of inhalers, i would have to walk my ass off there.

You can always go to Death Valley in California, its 282 feet/86 m below sea level o_O But you don't really feel tired from the elevation over in those Utah parks, its the 10,000ft/3,048 meter mountains that gets to me. I live at sea level as well near S.F.

O yeah @hanstj i will do that, will be hunched over the computer for a long time before i depart Denmark, there is so much i want to see over there.

You can always go to Death Valley in California, its 282 feet/86 m below sea level o_O But you don't really feel tired from the elevation over in those Utah parks, its the 10,000ft/3,048 meter mountains that gets to me. I live at sea level as well near S.F.
i got winded walking up some of the paths on mount rainier, especially once we got up into the clouds. no idea what the elevation was.

and when i visit dad in colorado, there's a nice park w/ great hiking at about 8-9k feet and we do just fine there - even the kids did great, and my son was only 3 at the time. but you're right - there's something about 10k where the air suddenly gets a lot thinner. Monarch Mountain (a ski place not far from dad's house) says its base elevation is 10,790 feet, and Summit is at 11,952 feet. Ski Cooper (another one, not far from Leadville) says its base is 10,500, summit 11,700. i get a little winded just walking from the parking lot to the lifts. yes, it's uphill, and it doesn't help that it's hard to walk in ski boots, but still.

and i've lived basically at sea level my whole life. when i was a kid my brother and i would ride our bikes down to the seawall and go fishing. the part of houston i live in now is about 140 feet above sea level. so no real difference in air pressure between here and the beach.

i got winded walking up some of the paths on mount rainier, especially once we got up into the clouds. no idea what the elevation was.

and when i visit dad in colorado, there's a nice park w/ great hiking at about 8-9k feet and we do just fine there - even the kids did great, and my son was only 3 at the time. but you're right - there's something about 10k where the air suddenly gets a lot thinner. Monarch Mountain (a ski place not far from dad's house) says its base elevation is 10,790 feet, and Summit is at 11,952 feet. Ski Cooper (another one, not far from Leadville) says its base is 10,500, summit 11,700. i get a little winded just walking from the parking lot to the lifts. yes, it's uphill, and it doesn't help that it's hard to walk in ski boots, but still.

and i've lived basically at sea level my whole life. when i was a kid my brother and i would ride our bikes down to the seawall and go fishing. the part of houston i live in now is about 140 feet above sea level. so no real difference in air pressure between here and the beach.

I am planning to visit Rocky Mountain National Park soon. That visit will the highest elevation I have been anywhere in the U.S. Hopefully I will not be panting too much :D

Awesome! I loved the Road Sign overlays!
How fast was the sped up playback rate?

Awesome! I loved the Road Sign overlays!
How fast was the sped up playback rate?

In the beginning, before making the left turn, the speed was between 2x to 6x. Inside the park, the speed was between 1.8x to 2.5x.

Back