Any downsides to using two 1-ch cameras?

ikjadoon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I haven't found any great 2-ch setups yet. Why not just two 1-ch cameras?

Pros:

1. Great IQ from both cameras: no compromises on image quality
2. Independent, so gives a tiny bit of redundancy

Cons

1. You can't trigger a "save" on the rear camera...but, these things (with a $15 64GB microSD card) record for days. I'm sure I will have time to move to the back of the car to retrieve the recording.
2. Requires two USB ports for power
3. Files are saved in two locations

Otherwise, are there any downsides? I guess you'll need two USB ports instead of one, but that's no issue in my car.

That's what I'm using - 2 SG9665GCs, 1 front, 1 rear.

You've pretty much identified all the 'cons' but missed one 'pro'. If your front camera fails for some reason you can always move the rear cam to the front. Even better if both use the same mounting system, power supply and GPS (if you're using GPS).

OK, right--it seems like a reasonable solution these days if IQ is a priority.

True--I didn't even think about that; great point!

I have a four channel system. SG9665GC and three Mobius cameras facing the sides and rear. Love it. Very reliable and if one should happen to fail you're still in business on the other three and could even swap them to a different position if need be, which wouldn't be the case with a single multi-channel camera.

As to the issue of "saving" a file, it is a non-issue from my experience. Plus, it's wise to always carry an extra microSD card or two so if something really significant happens or a card should fail, one can take the card out of service for safe keeping and install a fresh one.

I think rear cameras often capture stuff you're not even aware of a lot of the time so the save is less relevant on the rear cam than it is the front just because of that

I think rear cameras often capture stuff you're not even aware of a lot of the time so the save is less relevant on the rear cam than it is the front just because of that

I don't really find that to be entirely true. I'm mean, yes it does happen that the rear camera captures things you may no be aware of at the time, but not that often in my experience yet the rear cam is as relevant and noticeable as the front and important things are often worth capturing. Just the other day a guy with an attitude blew through a stop sign despite my having already entered and been most of the way through the intersection because I had the right of way. If he had hit me I had captured the entire incident along with his plate number. It's the side camera captures that always seem to offer the most surprises when I review footage after getting home.

rear.jpg

it's entirely relevant, just meant a lot of things go on behind you that you won't always catch sight of at the time

It's true. One time I got home and reviewed some rear cam footage and discovered that a guy behind me was going absolutely ape-**** because I took my time entering a busy roundabout. Thrusting myself into the roundabout before a break in the flow of traffic would have been crazy, reckless, dangerous but that didn't seem to matter to the hotheaded nut case behind me. Anyway, I would never have known about him if I hadn't looked at the footage and I'm sure that's what you are talking about.

haha i did the same with a woman at a roundabout yesterday, all the ppl in the roundabout was indicating nicely but she insisted on just sitting there untill there was on cars in the half of the roundabout to her left.

I was bouncing up and down mumbeling "come on" while 4-5 cars exited the roundabout where we was.

Only minus i see with multi cam setups with single cameras ( i have 6 in my car ) is that you have to go to each camera to get hold of footage.

But messing with small SD cards is " a pain" so i made it so i can just retrive the whole camera, and then mess with micro sd cards in front of my computer where they cant jump that far or land in wierd places.

There is a lot of WTF going on around your car while you drive, and here come another little minus, cuz with 4 cameras it will take a long time to review all the footage.

Dont use event recordings in any way, with the things i see myself i just make a mental note of when and where, and then retrive footage when i get home.

I have 2 x QVIA T790 for front and rear as I didn't find an adequate 2 CH. Really don't regret it now. Go for it!

After seeing so many poor quality images from rear cams when i signed up on here i thought about doing this but then figured it wouldnt work out well.

Reading this thread though has me.now considering doing this.

Last month ourchased a rexing but they failed to send me all the components for the setup so i returned it. So i settled on buying the SG one when I do buy again, now I just need to figure out if I want to spend $400 for 2 SGs or go 1 of each n save $100

Hmmmm

Only minus i see with multi cam setups with single cameras ( i have 6 in my car ) is that you have to go to each camera to get hold of footage.

How've you managed the wiring for 6 cameras?

I'm running out of non-critical fuses to tap with just 3 fuse taps, two for the cameras and one for the auto dimming IRVM. (I have 2 fuses slots for 12V cigarette lighter sockets, one is tapped but the fuse tap covers the second one. :mad:)

Also I am using 2-3 amp fuses, is it good or should I use lower or higher amp fuses?

Thats easy.

In glove box i have.
3 X 12 V ciggy socket
1 X 2 Amp USB
6 X 2.4 Amp USB
2 X 1 Amp USB

And in the boot i have 3 X 12 V cigggy sockets + 1 X 2 Amp USB

My car ciggy socket in the center console is now no longet in use ( not too happy about all those wires on my dashbord as i am a old casemodder.

The 12 ciggy extensions front and rear is there cuz i am a tester and i have to be able to allso test the PSUs provided with cameras

How many fuses have you tapped to install all this, or are multiple items being run off the fuses?

the 12 V extensions front and rear is tapped into the fusebox with / on 10 A fuses, all the USB outlets in the glove box is tapped into the 12 V for the radio and the 12 V for the cars own ciggy socket in the console.

Not sure what amp the 12 V to the radio is 30 i would guess, the cars own ciggy socket is proberly on a 10 A fuse ( maybe one of those i allready piggyback on )

Perhaps i should break out my old ICE power gear, have several automatic fuses, and power splitters allso with fuses in them.
But this might be overkill as we for a large part talk about xxx AMP fuses.

Stuff like this.
rBVaHVaJ_c-AMJ9zAAIZGFNylUU764.jpg

41eLAuOzpHL.jpg

And a lot of wire, some as thick as garden hose :cool:

Phew! And I thought, my car was going to blow up because of tapping just 3 fuses.

Will definitely sleep a lot more sound. :)

Thanks

Phew! And I thought, my car was going to blow up because of tapping just 3 fuses.

Will definitely sleep a lot more sound. :)

Thanks
What kind of car?
Some of the Indian cars use pretty small battery compared to US models.

It's a diesel 1.4 turbo with a 68 Ah battery. None of the tapped fuses are live once the car is turned off.

Last edited:
Back