Lukas Qvia T790 user thoughts/opinions?

green_comet

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB100HD
Hey guys,

I've been looking at purchasing the new Lukas/Qvia T790, but because it's so new I'm not having much luck finding any user reviews.

I'm just wondering if there are any people here that have one, and if so what are your thoughts and opinions on it?

I've also been looking at a Blackvue DR650GW-1ch, but I'm not sure which camera to go with. Discreetness, video quality and parking mode are big selling points for me, the T790 seems to be very similar to the Blackvue in terms of specs, while also being cheaper and having an internal voltage cutoff.

If anyone could chime in that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

although the form factor is new the T790 is pretty much the same hardware under the hood as some of the other Lukas product that has been around for quite some time, I think it's a fairly safe bet, the low light performance seems better than the Blackvue if that's important to you

Thanks for reply jokiin, I was looking at the SG9665GC V2 for a while, if it had parking mode I would be all over it.

Good to know T790 has similar hardware to other Lucas cameras, hopefully that means reliability shouldn't be an issue.

yeah I don't think reliability would be an issue, they do seem to do parking mode quite well also

Hey guys,

I've been looking at purchasing the new Lukas/Qvia T790, but because it's so new I'm not having much luck finding any user reviews.

I'm just wondering if there are any people here that have one, and if so what are your thoughts and opinions on it?

I've also been looking at a Blackvue DR650GW-1ch, but I'm not sure which camera to go with. Discreetness, video quality and parking mode are big selling points for me, the T790 seems to be very similar to the Blackvue in terms of specs, while also being cheaper and having an internal voltage cutoff.

If anyone could chime in that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Just received my T790 a couple of days ago.
So far I'm quite disappointed considering what I had to spend to get this puppy. Was hoping what I had read on the Qvia app review would not be my experience but no such luck!!!!

Video quality seems great.....if you get to see it that is. The only way to access the blackbox(without fiddling around trying to remove the micro sd card and taking it to a computer that is) is via the Qvia app thru Wifi. The problem is that (in my situation) the wifi signal is hit and miss. The signal drops out and sometimes it doesn't. When you do have a signal and it doesn't get dropped, the downloads of a file to the phone(within the Qvia app) takes forever!!!! Once it's there the video and sound seems great. Also you can only download ONE file at a time.
Using the app you can synch the time on the blackbox with your phones time, but guess what it doesn't keep it. When the device turns back on it defaults back to wherever/whenever, for me it defaults back 3 hrs. What good is that in an accident as evidence!!!!

Made sure the firmware was current and the app was updated b4 making these criticisms.

I wanted a cam that was discrete(ie without a screen) but never would have bought this one if I had known the interface was going to be such an issue.

Hoping for improvements.......

Last edited:
I use two QVIA T790 as front and rear. Quality of the videos is very good.

I don't have any issues with the wifi. I use the latest firmware version and an iphone 6S.

I really like the design of it and its great video quality. The use if the app is very easy.

As I don't download the videos very frequently I am not annoyed with the downloading of only one file at time. Soeed of dowloading was however ok for me.

So far I'm quite disappointed considering what I had to spend to get this puppy. Was hoping what I had read on the Qvia app review would not be my experience but no such luck!!!!

Video quality seems great.....if you get to see it that is. The only way to access the blackbox(without fiddling around trying to remove the micro sd card and taking it to a computer that is) is via the Qvia app thru Wifi. The problem is that (in my situation) the wifi signal is hit and miss. The signal drops out and sometimes it doesn't. When you do have a signal and it doesn't get dropped, the downloads of a file to the phone(within the Qvia app) takes forever!!!! Once it's there the video and sound seems great. Also you can only download ONE file at a time.
Using the app you can synch the time on the blackbox with your phones time, but guess what it doesn't keep it. When the device turns back on it defaults back to wherever/whenever, for me it defaults back 3 hrs. What good is that in an accident as evidence!!!!

Made sure the firmware was current and the app was updated b4 making these criticisms.

I wanted a cam that was discrete(ie without a screen) but never would have bought this one if I had known the interface was going to be such an issue.

if you're at home or somehwere where your phone is setup for wifi access when trying this suggest set your phone to forget your home wifi while you set this up, there are times when the camera is doing stuff that your phone will think the connection is gone and it will change over to your regular wifi connection

if you're at home or somehwere where your phone is setup for wifi access when trying this suggest set your phone to forget your home wifi while you set this up, there are times when the camera is doing stuff that your phone will think the connection is gone and it will change over to your regular wifi connection

Thanks for the suggestion but my phone does recognize that it has a wifi connection without Internet access and asks me if I want to keep the connection. No big deal really just answer yes. The connection will still get dropped or the app has problems cause every now and again you will move around the app and you will get a "socket timed out" kind of message. Funny thing is the app still shows a green connection button and my wifi still shows connected, but the app will not respond.
I can also confirm that the unit will not keep the synced time with your phone. It defaults back 3 hours.
Just got back from an afternoon of driving around and these issues were CONFIRMED!!

the app needs work, have tried the iOS and Android versions and they're both a bit flaky, the iOS version seems the better of the two though

I recently purchased and today installed a T790. I can connect to the device using the Lukas app for iOS, but I'm not seeing any saved content. I can change settings, get a live view of the cam, but nothing shows up in the "Internal Storage" section. Am I missing something?

rd3A0Icl.png

Just giving a bit of an update.... not a positive one unfortunately. Tried downloading some of the FILES via wifi from the blackbox into the Qvia app and discovered that the (A)lways and (M)otion detection files will download to the app, BUT the ones you may REALLY WANT, the (E)vent videos will NOT!
WTF!!!!

That's a shame to hear, but thanks for all of the info guys. This is the stuff I wanted to know before making a purchase.

First dash cam so I honestly don't know how good or bad it is in comparison to others.

I can provide some videos though.

Afternoon

Evening Glare

Evening Light

Night 01

Night 02

I recently purchased and today installed a T790. I can connect to the device using the Lukas app for iOS, but I'm not seeing any saved content. I can change settings, get a live view of the cam, but nothing shows up in the "Internal Storage" section. Am I missing something?

rd3A0Icl.png
To get content into the Internal Storage go to where all the files are. Then on the right hand side you will see the size of file and a little down arrow, press this and the file will download into Internal Storage

I bought the W970 2 channel. Its quite a big camera but the quality is pretty good. The app, both Android and Ipad isnt good. I can view live images but cannot play back anything recorded via wifi on Android. When I try to replay footage on the iPad the picture starts off ok for a few seconds then it greys out and stalls. I have been in touch with Lukas and they are on the case. I've been told there is an update for the app happening very soon. In the meantime iPad users can download and use the Lukas View app to review footage but sadly it wont replay Event footage!!

I've been looking at the Vicocation Opia 2, Blackvue DR650S-1CH and the Lukas T790 and I have no idea what to do now. I wanted something that was fairly discreet, reliable, with great video quality and a good parking mode. It would also need to hold up to fairly hot summers, It can get well over over 40 degrees celsius (104F) here in summer.

Back