Upgrade Thinkware x500 with the new x550 firmware

minhpa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is my story. I noticed on thinkware website the new thinkware x550 came out to replace for the 2015 model x500. I reviewed the specs of the two models, they are both the same. However, on the new x550, we will be able to turn on/off the Super night vision (on the x500 it is default on, and no option to turn off). Also, on the new x550, there is a new parking mode feature called Time Lapse.
Since they both share the same hardware, I was wondering if the x550's firmware will run on x500.
Therefore, I downloaded the x550 firmware, then unzip the downloaded file.
There is a file named X550_pkg.bin, I copied that file to the x500's sd card and renamed X500_pkg.bin.
Then I put the sd card back to the x500, hope the x500 will load this firmware, and it did. Upgrading process took several minutes. Then the x500 reboot itself with the new boot up screen shows x550. Awesome!
Now the x500 is running the new x550 firmware without any issues. All new features on x550 running flawlessly on x500.
Now you have the new x550 running in the x500's body.
That is my experience upgrading x500 with x550 firmware.
Sorry for any confusion, English is not my first language.
Disclaimer: if you are interested, do it at your own risk.
If anything happens to you or your device is solely your resposibility.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
anyone fancy trying that with the F750 :) they are the same after all....mostly

That's quite interesting! The X500 didn't have 'Super Night Vision' at all and unless you have parking mode active you won't notice any difference with it on. If you use parking mode you should find the Super Night Vision makes a considerable difference (as long as there is a little bit of light available).

I did a drive with my F770 the other night a couple of miles with SNV on, then the same journey with SNV off and it seemed to make no difference when actually driving. I'm planning on doing the same tonight in parking mode, i've got some parking mode with SNV on (link below - this was about 11.50pm with Time Lapse active) and think it's very impressive with a couple of street lights but want some non SNV to compare.

https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharep...Bk=&docid=2_05ffe6dc3860e4fa589fdda76683a4fa8

That's quite interesting! The X500 didn't have 'Super Night Vision' at all and unless you have parking mode active you won't notice any difference with it on. If you use parking mode you should find the Super Night Vision makes a considerable difference (as long as there is a little bit of light available).

I did a drive with my F770 the other night a couple of miles with SNV on, then the same journey with SNV off and it seemed to make no difference when actually driving. I'm planning on doing the same tonight in parking mode, i've got some parking mode with SNV on (link below - this was about 11.50pm with Time Lapse active) and think it's very impressive with a couple of street lights but want some non SNV to compare.

https://chameleoncodewing-my.sharepoint.com/personal/spaget_chameleoncodewing_co_uk/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=7FrtGO7hwPzgQxhfl3W07hbHaFykgKqFEwNoCVMNdBk=&docid=2_05ffe6dc3860e4fa589fdda76683a4fa8

On thinkware website they said x500 does have Super Night Vison, but it is not shown up in the menu settings.
Link to product details: http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/X500

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    119.4 KB · Views: 18
That has surprised me a lot! I've done shows with a few of the Thinkware guys and they never said that, unless it was added in a recent firmware update? As it's a discontinued model now i don't keep a close eye on the updates and changes...I've emailed them for confirmation....

Here is my story. I noticed on thinkware website the new thinkware x550 came out to replace for the 2015 model x500. I reviewed the specs of the two models, they are both the same. However, on the new x550, we will be able to turn on/off the Super night vision (on the x500 it is default on, and no option to turn off). Also, on the new x550, there is a new parking mode feature called Time Lapse.
Since they both share the same hardware, I was wondering if the x550's firmware will run on x500.
Therefore, I downloaded the x550 firmware, then unzip the downloaded file.
There is a file named X550_pkg.bin, I copied that file to the x500's sd card and renamed X500_pkg.bin.
Then I put the sd card back to the x500, hope the x500 will load this firmware, and it did. Upgrading process took several minutes. Then the x500 reboot itself with the new boot up screen shows x550. Awesome!
Now the x500 is running the new x550 firmware without any issues. All new features on x550 running flawlessly on x500.
Now you have the new x550 running in the x500's body.
That is my experience upgrading x500 with x550 firmware.
Sorry for any confusion, English is not my first language.
Disclaimer: if you are interested, do it at your own risk.
If anything happens to you or your device is solely your resposibility.
The folders "setting" and "driveinfo" from zip firmware x550, did you copy then to the SD card too?

The folders "setting" and "driveinfo" from zip firmware x550, did you copy then to the SD card too?

Hi Eizi. I did not copy those folders to the SD card, just the .bin file.
Also, if its successfully upgraded and you are using the x500 pc viewer on your computer, you need to download the new pc viewer for x550. The one for x500 will not fully capable with the x550.

I have had it confirmed from Korea that the X500 doesn't have Super Night Vision it is an error on the website that Marketing are aware of and will rectify.
Do you know if super night vision is a software or hardware update?

Last edited:
nope, not unless you install the F770 firmware. the feature, like everything else bar the looks of the F770, is just a software upgrade.

Hi Eizi. I did not copy those folders to the SD card, just the .bin file.
Also, if its successfully upgraded and you are using the x500 pc viewer on your computer, you need to download the new pc viewer for x550. The one for x500 will not fully capable with the x550.
minhpa,

Your dashcam still works normally?

Can confirm this works. All features work as well.
I bought the X500 and then updated to the latest firmware 1.00.46 release 12-27-2016 and when trying to flash to the x550 firmware, it would just power on and the firmware file would remove itself. Played with it for about 2 hours before giving up.
I ended up exchanging the X500 for another one that did not have the latest firmware on it and was able to successfully flash to the x550 firmware. It looks like in version 1.00.46 of their firmware, they blocked the ability to flash other firmware files.
It appears, for the time being, there are still units that are being sold that do not have the latest firmware and you will be able to flash the x550 firmware on it.

Driving safety features, traffic light alerts, time lapse and super night vision all appear to be working as well and the hardwiring is having no problems. I forgot to take proof pics, but if someone REALLY wants to see proof, i'll take some pics and upload.

I am wondering if the new rear camera for the x550/f770 is really any different at all since the SNV appears to be more software based, from what it looks like.

DISCLAIMER: THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE NOR AM I RECOMMENDING ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS.

Hi I know this is old but I just got x500 with version 1.00.46. Is there anyway to roll back to earlier firmware?

Hi I know this is old but I just got x500 with version 1.00.46. Is there anyway to roll back to earlier firmware?
There is not....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have 2 x500 the first one I got lucky an it wasnt upgrade to 46. But this one is. I wonder what happens when you have an older firmware put in the SD card and try to update the firmware. What are the gains from the x550 firmware update?

I have 2 x500 the first one I got lucky an it wasnt upgrade to 46. But this one is. I wonder what happens when you have an older firmware put in the SD card and try to update the firmware. What are the gains from the x550 firmware update?
Won't work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A X500 3
T X500 4
Back