Image quality

NeoGee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought the 658 touch, which is also my first ever dashcam.
I have to say considering the advertised resolution, I'm quite disappointed with the image quality, as it is grainy, and has some artifacts.
Is this normal for dashcams?
I have an action cam (not a GoPro) and the image quality is massively superior.
Cheers

NeoGee

Here is some footage from today

Oh OK, I will upload some screen shots later.

Doh .. 12066kbpsMiVue658_1.jpg MiVue658_2.jpg MiVue658_3.jpg

Attachments

• MiVue658_4.jpg
    MiVue658_4.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 5
not sure what hardware they use, going by the features it might be A7LA55 with AR0330 sensor, if that is what they're using the bitrate is a bit low and it will struggle in anything but really good lighting

I wonder if I should send it back?
Are you able to recommend a dashcam with similar features, but better video quality?
Thanks.

it's probably working as well as it's going to work, it's not faulty as such, if it doesn't meet your requirements than yes you would be better to send it back

as to what camera you should buy best to list your requirements and others can suggest, if you short list any models I can generally identify which are the better options from what you're looking at but I don't like to directly recommend any particular product

It would be interesting to see an image while parked so that the bitrate isn't an issue...

There are certainly a lot of cameras that produce much better quality than you have posted above at less price, although they may not have touch screen and other features that don't really help to produce good image quality.

OK thanks. I will try and send it back.
Looking for:
Essentials - good day and night image quality, gps tracking and g-sensor, good playback software showing map position, geforce etc.
Bonus - Touch screen, speed camera alerts.
Edit - Compact size as well
Cheers.

Last edited:
Image when parked
Still not good, but at least it looks like it may have a 1080 sensor now!

"12066kbps" is really too low for a dashcam where the entire image is moving and changing continuously, unless the camera has a high quality option then you are not going to improve it and even if it does have a high quality option the parked image suggests that it is never going to give a detailed image.

There are plenty of better cameras, have a look at some of the reviews on this website and download the frame grabs to view full screen, then you will see what other cameras can do.

not sure what hardware they use, going by the features it might be A7LA55 with AR0330 sensor, if that is what they're using the bitrate is a bit low and it will struggle in anything but really good lighting

So should I avoid dashcams that use that hardware, or is it Mio's implementation that is at fault?

Edit: what kbps should I be looking for?

So should I avoid dashcams that use that hardware, or is it Mio's implementation that is at fault?

a little from column A, a little from column B

that hardware (assuming it's what they are using) can work better, for Ambarella though the OV4689 is probably the best match

Back