MINI 0805 - Red light / freeze after starting car

kreyg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently picked up this dash cam for my 2006 Civic Hybrid, and it mostly seems to work great, except for this one very annoying problem.

If the camera is connected to the car's power when I start the car, the camera freezes up and just has the red charging light on. Cycling the power or trying to long-press reset it doesn't seem to work. It seems to be directly related to the act of starting the engine.

Fortunately, I seem to be able to get it working again after some combination of removing the camera from the mount, plugging it into my PC for a while, and long-pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. It seems to work better if I leave it plugged into the PC for several minutes. I have done this at least five times already, but I'm not sure how much I want to risk killing the camera permanently by experimenting more.

I'm just using the cigarette lighter adapter that came with the camera. Other devices I have plugged in this way always lose power as the car is being started, but there seems to be something else going on with the camera. The battery is OK, flicking the power on and off doesn't matter, it's something with the actual act of starting the engine. I'm suspecting there is some sort of power surge or short happening when I start the car that the adapter can't handle.

I see some people have mentioned similar problems. I just wanted to put the data point out there that starting the car with the camera plugged in might be a problem. If you did get a red light / freeze on your camera, were you using the stock power adapter that came with the camera?

I recently picked up this dash cam for my 2006 Civic Hybrid, and it mostly seems to work great, except for this one very annoying problem.

If the camera is connected to the car's power when I start the car, the camera freezes up and just has the red charging light on. Cycling the power or trying to long-press reset it doesn't seem to work. It seems to be directly related to the act of starting the engine.

Fortunately, I seem to be able to get it working again after some combination of removing the camera from the mount, plugging it into my PC for a while, and long-pressing the power button for about 10 seconds. It seems to work better if I leave it plugged into the PC for several minutes. I have done this at least five times already, but I'm not sure how much I want to risk killing the camera permanently by experimenting more.

I'm just using the cigarette lighter adapter that came with the camera. Other devices I have plugged in this way always lose power as the car is being started, but there seems to be something else going on with the camera. The battery is OK, flicking the power on and off doesn't matter, it's something with the actual act of starting the engine. I'm suspecting there is some sort of power surge or short happening when I start the car that the adapter can't handle.

I see some people have mentioned similar problems. I just wanted to put the data point out there that starting the car with the camera plugged in might be a problem. If you did get a red light / freeze on your camera, were you using the stock power adapter that came with the camera?
Yes, sometimes it's happen with some cars even I always try using car charger came with the camera. The solution is: change the car (with me, recover the dashcam and sell it to another customers) and replace another one with a better car charger. :) Here is what I use to exchance. This new car charger seems good for some type of car in stable output current power but it has a cons: sometime it can be loosen with car cigaretter.
Hope it can help you. :)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0192Y7WQOPS: and if it doesn't work, or something happen with this car charger, come back here and report. It may help another peopel in future.

I've struggled with this issue too. I'd be curious if changing to a different charger works like thancam stated.

If I had mine plugged in to the cigarette lighter when starting the vehicle, it would give me the solid red. I had to pull the unit off of the mount, hold the power button down for 1-2 minutes and then it would restart.

Workarounds (although a bit of a hassle): before you shut your car off for an extended amount of time, unplug it from the cigarette lighter. Then when you start your car, plug it back in. I did this for a while until I got tired of it. Now I just use a USB charging port I have in my truck.

I've struggled with this issue too. I'd be curious if changing to a different charger works like thancam stated.

If I had mine plugged in to the cigarette lighter when starting the vehicle, it would give me the solid red. I had to pull the unit off of the mount, hold the power button down for 1-2 minutes and then it would restart.

Workarounds (although a bit of a hassle): before you shut your car off for an extended amount of time, unplug it from the cigarette lighter. Then when you start your car, plug it back in. I did this for a while until I got tired of it. Now I just use a USB charging port I have in my truck.
@BELLA WONG That's what I try to tell you. ;) Change your car charger and your company' mini 0805 will be nearly perpect ;)

@Haus, did you change car charge for Mini0805? The camera working well?

Thank you so much.

@Bella and @Joy

I bought a 0805 off Aliexpress from e-prance a few months back.

The first one got fried due to the generic hardwire kit. I sent it back to China and got a new one as a replacement.

The replaced one also died within a week after connecting it to a HDMI connection. Once disconnected from the TV, the camera started behaving strangely, would record at times but mostly would freeze at startup, rendering it unreliable.

I feel that the internals are not at all robust enough to handle even the slightest of voltage fluctuations. Why would it go bad by connecting it to a HDMI port?

You should also include or provide the option to include a tried and tested hardwire kit with your cameras, so many reports of 0805 getting fried due to bad hardwire kits.

The form factor and video quality is good but a complete let down on the quality front.

@Haus, did you change car charge for Mini0805? The camera working well?

Thank you so much.

I haven't tried a different cigarette lighter type charger. I just changed to using a USB cable plugged into my trucks USB jack (on newer vehicles). If I didn't have that option, I would be willing to try a different car charge like thancan recommended.

Back