Cowon Auto Capsule AW1

I am happy with Cowon MP3 players, but maybe dash cam world is too new for them. However at least hey could replay on e-mails from buyers. Lack of support puts down Cowon reputation.

I took the plunge and bought this camera.
It arrived yesterday and I had sometime to Play with it.

Here is the RAW video.
http://rapidshare.com/share/D2E888A052FFCD494F66BADA62B6CA1B

And here is video uploaded on Youtube

Since this is my first camera, therefore I cannot comment on the video quality. Can someone check the RAW video and comment?

Quick Review:
Good points;
- Design
- Camera quality seems good
- It has iphone / android software
- You can see the live view and adjust the camera
- You can adjust settings through camera

Bad points;
- Designed for Left hand drive and not user friendly with Right hand drive cars
- The cigarette lighter has not light so you are not sure if its working or not
- iphone application crashed only on one setting
- I could not change the time through the iphone application and time was incorrect
- Some pixelation during the night time recording
- GPS antenna and external video share the same socket, so you can use one at a time. You cannot have GPS connected and video out. (Shame!)

I will record videos during the day and upload it to show the difference. In first few hours, no collapsing. No video clip missing or anything.

Thanks for sharing your first impression thoughts.

I wonder why video always "Zoom-in / zoom-out" ?
It's look's like when camera view gets into the dark places, it's zooming-in and when into the brighter places it's soozming-out.
Interesting, what causes this ? ( firmware bug ? )

Thanks for sharing your first impression thoughts.

I wonder why video always "Zoom-in / zoom-out" ?
It's look's like when camera view gets into the dark places, it's zooming-in and when into the brighter places it's soozming-out.
Interesting, what causes this ? ( firmware bug ? )
Are you referring to youtube video or raw video?

YouTube.
Raw video is still downloading.
Strange that rapidshare server "sharing" speed is so slow. Only 10% downloaded. By that time same file would be downloaded 100% from mega.co.nz

So any comments.
Daytime videos are excellent. will upload them when I get time.

Another bad aspect is adjusting the time. Iphone application does not allow that. However PC application allowed it but there is still some time difference.
I am going to take my laptop to the car and try it.

Thanks.

That is where Cowon should improve.
1- night time video
2- Separate ports for GPS and video out so both can be used.
3- Time can be adjusted through iphone application.
4- Phone should save the settings of the phone even if its disconnected. So you can download the latest firmware even when its not connected via wi-fi. When you are in your car, and try to upload you are limited to 3-3.5G data to download.
5- Cigarette lighter should have LED to give use an indication that charger is working.
6- I guess they should go for built in GPS antenna.
7- Voice commands are not loud enough when you are driving / listening to the music.
8- They should have RHD / LHD versions to make it more user friendly.

It is enough for the time being and I will update it as it progress.

Last edited:
Ok Uploaded two clips of day time recording.
All I want is comments on the quality compared to your clips.

1st clip is full of hazards

Second clip

Hi there, first of all excuse my bad english...
I own a cowon aw1 since some days now and i'm having some minor problems with it.

1. problem: camera starts recording continiously when votage drops below the setted shutdown voltage. I don't know why.
2. problem: the map isn't working in the pc tool. it showns only a white screen and the speed. (Yes I have the GPS sensor connected)
3. problem: I can't playback videos in the android app on my smartphone (samsung s3mini). live view is working but playback allways tells me "only sound reproduction". so I can hear the recorded sounds but I can't see the video. This only works by opening the videofile with another player.

Does anyone of you know a solution to any of these problems?
I allready tried to contact cowon but didn't get any reply till today.

Thanks a lot and best regards from germany

edit: firmware 2.3.0
pcmanager 1.1.8

3. Try to use another player, something like MX Player. For some smartphones the video data rate is too much for the smartphone chipset.

enjoy,
Mtz

Here is comparison of videos BV DR500, Cowon AW1 and Itronics ITB-100 HD.
In my opinion Cowon AW1 is far more better than BlackVue.

OK thanks for your help, i fixed the playback problem with the latest mx codec.

also the auto power off problems are fixed.

only map isnt working...

any idea?

Back