New to SGZC12SG, some questions about brightness!

he was referring to the A119, it has had a problem with the speed display

It was actually through an amazon review that I found what someone said about the new firmware update that still had issues with KMPH:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01HMZVYLYUser: Joebizz
Date: Aug 5, 2016
5-star Review through amazon:
"Nice unit only had it a few days but so far I think it's the best for the money. This is my 5th dash cam and it works just as well as my other expensive one's.( it replaced my Marcus 3 that just broke) I'm useing the latest firmware I could find at the time of this posting (FW 22493212) from a dashcam forum.The one bug I see is the MPH shown on the camera is much higher then my actual speed looks like even though it shows mph I think it's showing kph.Useing Dashcam Viewer the correct mhp is showing in the software but not on the a119 screen see photo I'm sure this will be fixed in a future update.Registrator Viewer shows the video but no GPS data is shown. I purchased the hard wire kit but haven't wired it yet,waiting for the add a fuse tap to arrive.My 2011 Ford Edge uses the "low profile mini fuses" and I couildn't find the kit locally..I also replaced the gray 2 sided tape with black tape from a hardwarestore item 5114191084 I will update this post if anything changes.."

He seems to have consulted the dashcam forum for his latest update.

Wanted to point this out to jackkk for reference and to see if the firmware he updated for his a119 actually fixed the mph OSD issue.

It was actually through an amazon review that I found what someone said about the new firmware update that still had issues with KMPH:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01HMZVYLYUser: Joebizz
Date: Aug 5, 2016
5-star Review through amazon:
"Nice unit only had it a few days but so far I think it's the best for the money. This is my 5th dash cam and it works just as well as my other expensive one's.( it replaced my Marcus 3 that just broke) I'm useing the latest firmware I could find at the time of this posting (FW 22493212) from a dashcam forum.The one bug I see is the MPH shown on the camera is much higher then my actual speed looks like even though it shows mph I think it's showing kph.Useing Dashcam Viewer the correct mhp is showing in the software but not on the a119 screen see photo I'm sure this will be fixed in a future update.Registrator Viewer shows the video but no GPS data is shown. I purchased the hard wire kit but haven't wired it yet,waiting for the add a fuse tap to arrive.My 2011 Ford Edge uses the "low profile mini fuses" and I couildn't find the kit locally..I also replaced the gray 2 sided tape with black tape from a hardwarestore item 5114191084 I will update this post if anything changes.."

He seems to have consulted the dashcam forum for his latest update.

Wanted to point this out to jackkk for reference and to see if the firmware he updated for his a119 actually fixed the mph OSD issue.
If you can talk to Dashmellow He knows everything about the SG that you have. Keep an eye out for him he is usually on. He knows everything about the problems To answer ur question sorry but don't have GPS on the A119 but I had it on the Sg which I returned but yes the SG had MPH

Last edited:
If you can talk to Dashmellow He knows everything about the SG that you have. Keep an eye out for him he is usually on. He knows everything about the problems To answer ur question sorry but don't have GPS on the A119 but I had it on the Sg which I returned but yes the SG had MPH

thanks for clarifying, I was under the impression you had the gps model on the a119. I apologize for the confusion!

thanks for clarifying, I was under the impression you had the gps model on the a119. I apologize for the confusion!
Hi Treble, Dashmellow just posted a very informative post about what you were inquiring about. Please go read it and I hope this answers all your concerns about the SG

Hi Treble, Dashmellow just posted a very informative post about what you were inquiring about. Please go read it and I hope this answers all your concerns about the SG

@jackk Thanks, it was some good reading and some temporary solutions although not a reliable fix by changing the EV values to 2/3rd. I hope the replacement unit I am expecting with the new firmware will fix the exposure issue, but that still leaves me a bit unsatisfied with the details compared to the a119 I just tested today at the fraction of the cost.

The a119 has better detail and can capture plates better in California during my limited day test. My only gripe is the reflections off the dashboard. A119 will greatly benefit from the CPL filter if they have one. Software through RegistratorViewer does not show speed with GPS coordinates compared to SGZC12SG.

In defense of the SGZC12SG, the customer service is phenomenal with a robust package (many mounting options, CPL filter, and built-in GPS) plus the cleanest and user-friendly touch screen interface in my opinion with very detailed info when reviewing video through RegistratorViewer.

If the replacement does not remedy the problem, I may try the Ddpai M6 Plus because I have read positive reviews all stating the images details were fantastic on both day and night.

it's a different model

@jokiin Different camera but share the same lens: Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor, 7 Element Glass Lens. I understand the processor is different on the SG9665GC v2 with Novatek 96655 Processor vs the SGZC12SG has Zoran Coach 12P Processor. @lacibaci Also chimed in that the mini 0930 has the same issue with the same Sony CMOS sensor. All three exhibit the same overexposure / bright and dark contrast which makes me believe the exposure issue is related the Sony Exmor IMX322 sensor and not the processor.

@jokiin Different camera but share the same lens: Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor, 7 Element Glass Lens. I understand the processor is different on the SG9665GC v2 with Novatek 96655 Processor vs the SGZC12SG has Zoran Coach 12P Processor. @lacibaci Also chimed in that the mini 0930 has the same issue with the same Sony CMOS sensor. All three exhibit the same overexposure / bright and dark contrast which makes me believe the exposure issue is related the Sony Exmor IMX322 sensor and not the processor.
I suspect that the flawed exposure is caused by the Sony CMOS sensor which is a hardware problem. So in my opinion no amount of firmware updates will fix. I may be wrong, but I think I read that the SG will soon get some new different internal hardware changes. Hopefully this change will correct any exposure problems.

I suspect that the flawed exposure is caused by the Sony CMOS sensor which is a hardware problem. So in my opinion no amount of firmware updates will fix. I may be wrong, but I think I read that the SG will soon get some new different internal hardware changes. Hopefully this change will correct any exposure problems.

That was what I concluded as well. If SG can make something that was 1440P I would not hesitate to jump on that considering they fixed the exposure issue. Still waiting on the replacement Pier28 sent out today, great customer service!

IMX322 native 1080P res sensor is ideal for night performance since larger pixels gather more light. Higher resolution is tougher to achieve low light performance

IMX322 native 1080P res sensor is ideal for night performance since larger pixels gather more light. Higher resolution is tougher to achieve low light performance

Unfortunately, can't have the whole cake and eat it just yet. Do you plan to debut a 1440p resolution camera in the near foreseeable future?

Currently with the a119 vs SGZC12SG, the comparisons I have done are not apples to apples simply because of the 1440p vs 1080p. I will scale the a119 to 1080p at 60 vs 1080p at 30 to do some quality check based on off the same resolution.

Is there a possibility when the screen is off to just hit the emergency event recording button once to have it save footage versus pressing it twice? Currently I have to hit the button once to wake up the unit and another time to activate emergency event recording which I find inconvenient when an accident or incident does occur. I noticed in A119, even with the unit off I can just hit the emergency event recording once and it starts up.

The SG9665GC is a single button press even with the screen off. (More flexible Novatek SDK) SGZC12SG has less options in the Zoran SDK unfortunately but is a true work horse long term even in heat.

I just wanted to thank everyone that provided me input when I opened this thread for guidance! I have definitely learned a lot the past few days and could not be more grateful to find such a resourceful data mine of useful information. With that being said, I understand there is always room for improvement when it comes to technology but one area where I feel that does not need fixing is customer service provided by Street Guardian support, Pier28 and Jokiin. Pier28, understands and always listens to his clients and even though the current model SGZC12SG did not work for me now due to exposure issues I am absolutely sure with no hesitation will be back when their new product lines debut just because of their exception service.

In closing, thanks everyone for the awesome support! I will see you guys on the threads =)

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank everyone that provided me input when I opened this thread for guidance! I have definitely learned a lot the past few days and could not be more grateful to find such a resourceful data mine of useful information. With that being said, I understand there is always room for improvement when it comes to technology but one area where I feel that does not need fixing is customer service provided by Street Guardian support, Pier28 and Jokiin. Pier28, understands and always listens to his clients and even though the current model SGZC12SG did not work for me now due to exposure issues I am absolutely sure with no hesitation will be back when their new product lines debut just because of their exception service.

In closing, thanks everyone for the awesome support! I will see you guys on the threads =)
Hi Treble You had to sit it out a bit more and not to have been so hasty to return the SG. I hear a fix is close by. By the way what brand did you buy now, can you disclose that. I know you do ur just diligence with every detail so I am curious what you replaced it with.

Back