Rear camera choices for a pickup truck

KlueBat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! Long time lurker here, just setup my account for this question.

I'm looking to install a rear-facing cam in the back of my 2005 Ford F150. I already have a setup to run 5V power through the headliner to the rear of the cab, now I just need a camera.

My requirements are minimal, but specific:
  • Suction cup mount is prefered, but adhesive is OK as long as it is black
  • The mount must work on a vertical window. There is no hard trim around the window to stick an adhesive mount onto.
  • Smaller is definitely better. I do not want a bulky camera cluttering up the passenger compartment and obstructing my view.
  • The duel USB power supply I have hidden in the overhead console for the front camera is wired for constant power. A camera with a good parking mode is a huge plus, but not a deal breaker if it's missing.
That's it, but it's surprisingly difficult to find something that meets my needs. Most dash cams are designed for front windshields that have a decent slope to them. The rear window on my truck is completely vertical, so most cam mounts simply will not work.

I love Mobius Cam myself, but finding info mounts for it has not been easy. If someone can link me to a mount that will meet my needs I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Welcome to forum !
Mobius is a good choice.
Can you make a picture from inside of your F150 rear windows top area so we can recommend you different options on how to mount more stealthy way.

Welcome to forum !
Mobius is a good choice.
Can you make a picture from inside of your F150 rear windows top area so we can recommend you different options on how to mount more stealthy way.

Sure thing. I've attached a picture with the area where I'd like to mount a camera highlighted.

Also, to be clear, I'm not set on the Mobius. It just looks like it has potential for my purposes if the right mount can be had.

Attachments

• Rear Camera Location.jpg
    Rear Camera Location.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 57
I'd try to mount the cam higher, unless you want to see vast expanses of your empty truck bed, and tailgate. :) (Assuming you want to mount the cam in the area defined by the green line)

I see a sloping, flat-ish area of plastic in the right bottom corner of that green rectangle a mobius and adhesive mount would fit, but it may not give you the video you want.

I think the easiest solution is an A118-c or A119, stuck in top of that window section. It looks like it would be pretty easy to poke the wire into the headliner/trim seam.

Here's a mobius and A119 side by side in my truck. The windshield is somewhat sloped, but you can get the idea. The mobius is on an adhesive mount.

DSCF0270a.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Long time lurker here, just setup my account for this question.

I'm looking to install a rear-facing cam in the back of my 2005 Ford F150. I already have a setup to run 5V power through the headliner to the rear of the cab, now I just need a camera.

My requirements are minimal, but specific:
  • Suction cup mount is prefered, but adhesive is OK as long as it is black
  • The mount must work on a vertical window. There is no hard trim around the window to stick an adhesive mount onto.
  • Smaller is definitely better. I do not want a bulky camera cluttering up the passenger compartment and obstructing my view.
  • The duel USB power supply I have hidden in the overhead console for the front camera is wired for constant power. A camera with a good parking mode is a huge plus, but not a deal breaker if it's missing.
That's it, but it's surprisingly difficult to find something that meets my needs. Most dash cams are designed for front windshields that have a decent slope to them. The rear window on my truck is completely vertical, so most cam mounts simply will not work.

I love Mobius Cam myself, but finding info mounts for it has not been easy. If someone can link me to a mount that will meet my needs I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance everyone!

The Mobius is an excellent choice for a rear facing camera on a pick-up truck. With a power bank running the camera you can even keep an eye on your cargo when away from your vehicle.
rear2.jpg

Mount the camera on the headliner at the top of your vertical rear window.
mobius_rear_mount.jpg

I'd try to mount the cam higher, unless you want to see vast expanses of your empty truck bed, and tailgate. :) (Assuming you want to mount the cam in the area defined by the green line)

You may have a point here. I picked that corner as it would the most inconspicuous and out of the way. I think I'll test mount my GoPro in a few spots around the window just to see what kind of viewing angles I can expect.

I see a sloping, flat-ish area of plastic in the right bottom corner of that green rectangle a mobius and adhesive mount would fit, but it may not give you the video you want.

That trim piece would not be optimal. It would probably be too low and the complex curve would make for poor mount adhesion. I'd like to go with the window mount for better mounting surface and flexibility of location.

Thanks for the input! I think I'm getting closer.

The Mobius is an excellent choice for a rear facing camera on a pick-up truck. With a power bank running the camera you can even keep an eye on your cargo when away from your vehicle.
View attachment 25494

Mount the camera on the headliner at the top of your vertical rear window.
View attachment 25496

This is an interesting mount! I have so many questions.

• Which mount did you use to attach the Mobius to your headliner?
  • Are there nuts on the upper side of the headliner or did you just use screws?
  • How stable is the camera mount? Do you get vibration in the video?
  • How far down does the camera hang? I'm worried about head room.
Thanks for sharing your setup.

This is an interesting mount! I have so many questions.

• Which mount did you use to attach the Mobius to your headliner?
  • Are there nuts on the upper side of the headliner or did you just use screws?
  • How stable is the camera mount? Do you get vibration in the video?
  • How far down does the camera hang? I'm worried about head room.
Thanks for sharing your setup.

The mount is a DIY custom one but you can use a widely available one like this. (available on eBay and elsewhere for a few dollars)

Mobimount copy.jpg

It depends on your particular vehicle what you can screw into in the headliner. In my Toyota I needed to use some epoxy putty behind the headliner to give me something to allow the screws to make purchase.

The camera hangs down only an inch or so or about two inches with the one pictured above.

The mount is rock solid.

Back