A118 Non-C, Badly Washed Out Video

xxbassplayerxx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out the attached video. As you can see, the video is horribly washed out. I've cleaned the outside of the lens as well as my windshield. My next step is disassembly and cleaning the inside of the lens.

I just updated the firmware a few days ago to the latest. It was exhibiting the same issue before the firmware update.

Has anyone else had this happen? What was the problem?

Looks like maybe some condensation got where it shouldn't be. Did it just suddenly appear like that or was it getting progressively worse?

Might be an obvious question but did you remove the protective film from the lens?

i suggest that if you do take it apart, don't unscrew the lens itself - remove the screws for the lens mount instead. that way you don't have to refocus afterwards. you should clean the face of the sensor as well while it's apart. i used a q-tip and alcohol to clean my cf-100 when it started getting foggy like that. just be gentle on the sensor.

Looks like maybe some condensation got where it shouldn't be. Did it just suddenly appear like that or was it getting progressively worse?

I generally only check video when I have to so I'm not really sure. One check it seemed fine and the next check it looked like this.

Looks like the lens has been heated beyond the stable temps it is capable of at some stage

Depending on the temperature range, this is possible. It does just sit up there all the time after all. Can the lens be easily replaced? Are there replacement parts available for these?

I may just wait for the A119S.

Might be an obvious question but did you remove the protective film from the lens?

Yup!

i suggest that if you do take it apart, don't unscrew the lens itself - remove the screws for the lens mount instead. that way you don't have to refocus afterwards. you should clean the face of the sensor as well while it's apart. i used a q-tip and alcohol to clean my cf-100 when it started getting foggy like that. just be gentle on the sensor.

Thanks! Going to take it apart today.

Back