Another bad focus 0806? ...now mistakenly fried for voltage inversion...

save

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Dash Cam
mini 0806, mobius
Hello, first of all a greeting and a thank you to the entire community. I found a lot of useful information when I chose the dashcam, my compliments for the site and the forum to all users and administrators!;)

I had read of the initial problems of focus for 0806 but I thought were resolved. So when I bought mine I simply installed without checking, the images were not very clear, but I thought it was a limitation of the current technology.

Now by mistake I drove for a few days with the camera tilted down and I saw that my dashboard is crystal clear in comparison to the outside.

I put some screenshots from Registrator Viewer. Do you think that the focus of my dashcam is too close?
(2560x1080 resolution, on CPL and well adjusted, FW 20160317 V1.0)

Three sequential shots at 90km/h:
Z9ZYTCv.jpg

80PMzR3.jpg

BWWsUGu.jpg

Image at 40km/h (here the dashboard i particularly sharp):
0ZoL7ZF.jpg

Stationary image with objects in front at two different distances:
axQq5Wy.jpg

Image with the inclination I usually use, you can see that there are no reference to compare the focus:
PtOqeCk.jpg

What do you think?
Thanks to everyone who want to let me know his opinion.

Thanks, save.

Last edited:
you just answer your question :D then return or exchange or fix it by yourself. :)

If you bought it from China you may as well refocus it yourself. HDMI port makes it very easy.
Otherwise return to seller.

Thank you for confirming my guess and for the welcome!:D;)
I bought it on aliexpress four months ago, useless to try to track down the seller, not to mention the cost and time to send it.
I prefer to try to fix it by myself, usually I'm not bad at this kind of things. Can I use this guide for the 0805?
https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/#Out_of_Focus

But before I have to find a hdmi adapter -> mini hdmi to attach the cable from the 0806 to the TV.
Normally how far away it is better to focus on?

Thank you again!:)

Thank you for confirming my guess and for the welcome!:D;)
I bought it on aliexpress four months ago, useless to try to track down the seller, not to mention the cost and time to send it.
I prefer to try to fix it by myself, usually I'm not bad at this kind of things. Can I use this guide for the 0805?
https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/#Out_of_Focus

But before I have to find a hdmi adapter -> mini hdmi to attach the cable from the 0806 to the TV.
Normally how far away it is better to focus on?

Thank you again!:)
you must have HDMI cable to change focus.
Mini 0805 and mini 0806 uses the same PBC, chipset, sensor. So yes, you can use this guide. :)
when you do, try something with small details at 5 metters far at least.

After all this time... last week I finally refocused my 0806, the images were really better!

I was so happy that I decided to hardwire it, as I already have do some work to connect my new mobius on the rear...

I had opened the 0806 cigarette power supply and when a few hour later I weld the 12V line to it I forgot that the short red wire attached to the power supply was the - and not the +.

So I fried the power supply with a beautiful puff of smoke, and worse I think even the camera itself is damaged as it now does not power up and have a strange led behavior when attached to another 5V supply.

It was better if I had kept my hands in my pocket! :(

that's sad. But dont buy 0806 again :)

I think you are right but still I don't know what to do.
I like the form factor of the mini series and because I have to remove the camera every evening they are the only type I can remove and put back on with only one hand without have to attach other cables.

Did you have any suggestion?

That's what is inside the 0806 power adapter:
EoN4Xefl.jpg

I have extracted it some hour earlier so I doesn't had the plastic cover with me, but the shape should have told me that the + was on the right and that red wire was the -.
Instead I followed the convention red=+, and the near + sign of the capacitor surely not helped in that situation.

This is the result, money turned into smoke :
K7G2qWKl.jpg

Well, no use to cry...:( now I have to decide wath to do...

Normally red is positive (power) and black is negative (ground). If you don't know what's what and how to go about it, I suggest you get a quality hardwire kit than messing around and frying cameras.

Last edited:
That's weird.
Usually when black is positive, white should be used for negative, not red.
Maybe it fried due to short circuit.

Also, my mini power adaptor didn't have USB port.
Mine had Power cable attached directly.

It's possible it was assembled wrongly at the factory if manual labour was involved. They wouldn't have bothered correcting it even if they'd noticed, after all they had no reason to expect people to be opening it up. Using the wrong colours is fine as long as you use the wrong colours at both ends! Not so easy to spot if you aren't expecting it though.
In my job it's often very useful to take a photo of wiring before dismantling things, and referring back to it when assembling. I recommend it.

Take a photo surely was the thing to do, or at least label the poles with a pen on the circuit board.

I already have another hardwire kit, but I wanted to use the cigarette lighter adapter because I seem to remember a post said that its quality was better than a normal unnamed hardwire kit.

I am sure that in this case the short red wire was the negative because it was attached to the lateral contact of the cigarette plug. But in this occasion it was not intended to follow the convention, it was only an internal connection.
My mistake due to overconfidence, in that moment i didn't pay enough attention.

Also, my mini power adaptor didn't have USB port.
Mine had Power cable attached directly.

The camera cable was attached directly, the usb port was an accessory intended to power other things like charging cell phone ecc...
Like this one:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/0806..._1&btsid=9a69c274-95cc-4a9c-a8a4-84c87620ab43
But mine had a ferrite cilinder near the end of the cable, and the cable itself was of a different type (not round).

Last edited:
If you did kill the dashcam, one good thing is that it won't fail on you later on when you need it as most 0806 will die soon.

Get something else than a mini.

I like the form factor of the mini series and because I have to remove the camera every evening they are the only type I can remove and put back on with only one hand without have to attach other cables.

The DDPai M6+ is quicker & easier to mount / dismount than any Mini series dashcam. The power cable plugs into the mount not the camera, & the camera attaches magnetically to the mount.

It seem that the M6+ is a very good cam, I have even watched the techmoan review and he is enthusiatic of it.
It is quite small but its form factor it's not the most discreet possible and it seem to look bulkier than what it is, maybe from real it's different.

In this moment I was watching the Viofo A119 and it seem good as well.

I think that in the immediate i'll try to find a way to mount the mobius (which was intended to go in the rear) to have some more time to decide.

I drive from so many years, but now that I have a dashcam from about half a year I feel like naked without it... it feel a bit odd!:confused:

Many dashcams have power in the mount like Dome, Vantrue, Viofo (GPS mount), Taotronics etc...

It seem that the M6+ is a very good cam, I have even watched the techmoan review and he is enthusiatic of it.
He was very enthusiastic about the Mini0806 when it came out too.
Just saying, it's early days for the M6+.
If I needed a new front camera it's probably what I'd go for, but let's not forget lessons learned.

Back