Hello, from Orange County, CA. I am in the endless pursuit of finding the perfect dashcam...

RLS

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DR900S, DR750S, QR790, F800P, iRoadX9, Opia2, all S.G, A129D
Hi everyone,

I have always found this forum extremely useful, but never got around to joining. It all started at the end of 2013 when my newly purchased car was backed into in the university parking structure. My front bumper was backed into while I was away, and no note/info was left by the driver. Luckily, since CA requires a front license plate (and LA is really picky about it), my tow-hook license plate mount protected most of my bumper and definitely did more damage to the other car (made out of steel haha). At this point, I began my quest to find the best dashcam...now I have at least 1 dashcam in each car.

Here are the loadouts:
  • MDX: RoadHawk HD
  • G37S: Panorama 2S w/ CPL
  • TL: A119 (replaces old B40 with battery…)
  • IPL G: Blackvue DR650GW-2CH (hardwired), Lukas LK-7900 ARA w/CPL,
  • GTR: Blackvue DR650SGW-2CH (hardwired), A119, Vico OPIA2 w/CPL,
  • Macan S: DDpai Mini (temporary)
  • Panamera S: TBD
  • Not installed: Emish Mini, Vanture R2, Mobius V3 wide, Mobius 2.0
Misc:
  • GoPro Hero4 Black (I usually run this in 4K when I drive any car).
  • Sony AS100V
  • Yuneec Typhoon Actioncam 4K

Anyways, I have quite a bit of experience/reviews that I think can help give back to the community.
-Brian

p.s. Since the weather is quite sunny in SoCal, there is often tons of reflections/glare. I have installed/retrofitted CPL filters on most of the dashcams (ex. DR650 has 3D printed adapter to mount 36mm CPL MagFilter).

p.p.s. I actually back-up most of my dashcam footage...glad storage has gotten so much cheaper :eek:.

that's a mammoth task

LOL...

Well, I have gotten into a good routine:
1TB SSD in Seagate Enclosure (swapped original) connected to Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter for highest transfer speed
1TB SSD in high speed external USB 3.0 enclosure
Belkin Thunderbolt Dock to split thunderbolt data bandwidth amongst connected USB 3.0 drives

About a dozen portable USB 3.0 external drives, varying in size (over the years...) from 500GB, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB.
For on-the-go backup, WD MyPassport 2TB with SD card reader.

...let's not even get on the topic of microSD/SD cards... :oops:

@jokiin

BTW, I am on the fence about getting the SG9665GC V2 ... I need better quality night videos. The A119 w/ CPL is decent but w/o CPL, holy crap, it ain't pretty...................

sounds like me but I don't even archive all footage, only samples of footage

Well, in CA, a car accident has a 2 year statute of limitations on claims for personal injury (3 years for property damage).....

for the most part the lower megapixel sensors will do better at night than higher ones will, higher megapixel sensors can give sharper picture in bright light

Well, in CA, a car accident has a 2 year statute of limitations on claims for personal injury (3 years for property damage).....

I only keep samples of comparison video, beta firmware results, customer submitted video etc, if I archived everything it would be way too much, already have multiple TB of data stored and have to keep cleaning it out

Welcome to DCT :D

A really good knowledgeable discussion is always welcome here, and I for one would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on the better SD cards (we already know to avoid the cheap ones ;))

Let's pick up on that in another forum, I'll be looking forward to your input/

Phil

Reactions: RLS
Welcome to DCT :D

A really good knowledgeable discussion is always welcome here, and I for one would like to hear your thoughts and experiences on the better SD cards (we already know to avoid the cheap ones ;))

Let's pick up on that in another forum, I'll be looking forward to your input/

Phil

Thanks! Glad to join the community. I love engaging in thought-provoking discussions. As a comp sci person, I personally enjoy interfacing/understanding/hacking hardware...even though I hate the subject matters in general lol.

Lately, I have been figuring out ways to have my dashcams run better/longer in the heat (I have a preference for black cars with black interior. Even with tints on all-but-front windshield, it gets HOT).

Oh, I have way too many cards....will make a list and post in a different forum/thread. :cool:

Welcome to the forum RLS

Reactions: RLS
In due time M8 no worries here, that thread is more of a service for some ppl.

In due time M8 no worries here, that thread is more of a service for some ppl.

These are my most recent choices:
SanDisk Extreme PLUS 128GB MicroSDXC (SDSQXWG-128G-GN6MA) for GoPro4Black
SanDisk Extreme 128GB MicroSDXC (SDSQXVF-128G-GN6MA) x2
SanDisk Ultra 200GB MicroSDXC (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A) x2
SanDisk Ultra 128GB MicroSDXC (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA) x2

Back